1. Topics to be discussed-•What is Air Pollution?•How is it measured?•Five major pollutants.•Smog and its effects.•The other problems…•What should we do to reduce it?
2. Air pollution is the introduction ofchemicals, particulate matter, orbiological materials that cause harmor discomfort to humans or otherliving organisms, or cause damage tothe natural environment or builtenvironment, into the atmosphere.What is AirPollution?
3. Natural: forest fires, pollen,dust stormUnnatural: man-made; coal,wood and other fuels used incars, homes, and factories forenergyIts types…
4. AQI: Air Quality Index•Indicates whether pollutant levels in air may causehealth concerns.•Ranges from 0 (least concern) to 500 (greatestconcern)
5. Air Quality Air Quality Index Protect Your HealthGood 0-50 No health impacts are expectedwhen air quality is in thisrange.Moderate 51-100 Unusually sensitive peopleshould consider limitingprolonged outdoor exertion.Unhealthy forSensitive Groups101-150 Active children and adults, andpeople with respiratory disease,such as asthma, should limitprolonged outdoor exertion.Unhealthy 151-200Active children and adults, andpeople with respiratory disease,such as asthma, should limitprolonged outdoor exertion,everyone else, especiallychildren should limit prolongedoutdoor exertion.Very Unhealthy(Alert)201-300 Active children and adults, andpeople with respiratory disease,such as asthma, should limitprolonged outdoor exertioneveryone else, especiallychildren, should limit outdoorexertion.
6. 5 Major Pollutants5 Major Pollutants::1..) Carbon Monoxide2.) Sulfur Dioxide3.) Nitrogen Dioxide4.) Particulate Matter5.) Ground LevelOzone
7. •Combination of gases with water vaporand dust•Combination of words smoke and fog•Forms when heat and sunlight reactwith gases (photochemical smog)•Occurs often with heavy traffic,high temperatures, and calm winds
8. • 1stsmog related deaths were inLondon in 1873; death toll 500people..• Limits visibility• Decreases UV radiation• Yellow/black color over cities• Causes respiratory problems andbronchial related deaths
9. •Ride your bike instead of riding a car.•Tell your friends and family aboutpollution. Spread awareness.•Make sure your parents get pollutionchecks on their cars•Join a group to stop pollution.•Switch off lights, fan, heat, etc. whenyou leave the room•Remember to carry paper bags andminimize using plastic bags.
10. •Alternative Energy Source: usealternative energy sources such assolar energy, hydroelectric energy,and wind energy.•Minimize smoke emission, as itcontributes a lot to air pollution.