GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
1
GBV AoR Meeting – Telephone Meeting
16 March 2010
3:30 – 5:00pm GVA Time // 9:30 ...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
2
emerged relatedtoGBV. Erincommentedthatat thispointnone hadbeenidentifiedorcommun...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
3
AORmemberorganizationswere encouragedtocommittoactionitemsonthe plan.Several of t...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
4
regardto the actionsheetsandreferral cardsthe AOR wasremindedthatprintersare very...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
5
ANNEX1
HAITIGender-BasedViolence(GBV)Sub-ClusterUpdate– 14March2010
Preparedby Li...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
6
 Discussions underway withMINUSTAH Human Rights the possibility of joint patrols...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
7
 Key issues topursue in the near future: economic empowerment, skills training, ...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
8
clarified. I have alerted GBV Sub-Cluster members to this – and also shared with ...
GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010
9
 Ms. Magazine blog is underway (http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/author/linaabira...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March

262

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
262
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March

  1. 1. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 1 GBV AoR Meeting – Telephone Meeting 16 March 2010 3:30 – 5:00pm GVA Time // 9:30 – 11:00 NY Time Minutes PARTICIPANTS - Menbere Dawit(UNHCR) - JanetMeyers (CARE International) - Heidi Lehmann(IRC) - Erin Kenny (UNFPA) - FatimaHassan (UNFPA) - Kate Hunt (Care International) - Leora Ward (AmericanRefugeeCommittee) - Mary Pack—International Medical Corps - MelissaAlvarado(UNIFEM) - BethVann(consultant) - MendyMarsh (UNICEF) - Nika Saeedi (UNDP) - PabloCastillo-diaz(UNIFEM) HAITIUPDATE Erin providedanupdate onthe activitiesof the GBV sub-clusterbaseduponareport submitted by Lina Abirafeh,the GBV coordinator. Pleaseseethe full reportannexed to the minutes. Discussion onHaiti Update: Leora,who hadjust recentlyreturnedfromHaiti,acknowledgedthe progressmade butexpressed concernwithregard to the response. She notedthe needtofurtherbuilduponexistingnetworks and that internationalaidhasnotreached100% of the settlements. Withregardtothe referral system, womenneedtofindtheirwaytothe hospitalsortoSOFA to receive servicessoonlyasmall number may be assisted. More needstobe done to buildthe capacityof NGOs to provide servicesmore broadly and outside of PaP. Erin mentionedthatUNIFEMhas beenworkingwithCivil SocietyOrganizationstohelprevitalizethe referral networkthatexistedpre-earthquake. MendyadvisedthatUNICEFwasalsoprovidingadditional staff inLeogane and Jacmal to supportGBV effortsandwaslookingathow to strengthenotherareas outside the areaof the capital. A questionwasraisedwithregardtothe Haiti GBV Sub-clusterGoogle groupandhow one can join. Action: Erin tocheck withthe fieldandshare the directionsfordoingso. Heidi suggestedthatprogressmade bythe sub-clusterneededtobe measuredagainstbenchmarksand askedif there hadbeenfeedbackfromthe sub-clusterastogeneral trendsorpatternsthat had been
  2. 2. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 2 emerged relatedtoGBV. Erincommentedthatat thispointnone hadbeenidentifiedorcommunicated back to the GBV AOR. Mary askedhowthe sub-clusterwasbeingrepresentedwithinthe HumanitarianCountryTeam. Action: Erin tocheck withLinato clarify. A questionwasalsoraisedasto howGBV will be highlightedatthe conference inthe Dominican Republic. Erin notedthatNational GBV Planwill be postedonthe website inbothEnglishandFrench. Fatimamade note that the website iscurrentlybeingrealignedfromthe global toone specificonHaiti. Bethcommented thatlittle isknownwithregardtoaddressingGBV innatural disastersandthat it wouldbe helpful tobeingtolookatlessonslearnedinthiscontext. Some organizationssuchasCARE and Women’sCommissionare beginningtodocumentthisandwe shouldconsiderasan AORhow to do thiscollectively. GBV AOR Work Plan There were nosubstantive changesmade tothe WorkPlan,however,several pointsof clarificationand updateswere provided. The draft reportfrom the GBV AORRetreatwill be sentoutto the participantsforcommentsnextweek and recommendationsandnextstepsfromthatcan be measuredagainstthe WorkPlan. Withregard to the ScopingMissions (3.3),a TOR isbeingdevelopedaswell asthe research methodology. A draftwill be sentoutfor commentsanddiscussionata future AORmeeting. Progresshasbeenmade on the GBV/IMS(3.1). UNFPA/UNICEFandIRC heldaconsultationearlierthis yearto lookat both the short termand longertermrole outwhichmay have implicationsforthe AOR. In the short-term,auserguide will be developed. The questionforlonger-termiswhetherthe IMS couldbe placedwithin andaccountable tothe AOR inorder for it to be seenasa broader,inter-agency effort. Fundraisingeffortsforthe AORwere alsodiscussed. UNFPA,UNICEFandUNHCRhave submittedtwo proposalstodonors.One isa proposal byUNHCR and UNICEFto ECHO whichfocusesoncapacity buildingin nine countries(3regions) andwouldinclude amore robustroll- outof the handbookand toolsand lookat whatis furtherrequiredfortrue capacitydevelopmentatthe countrylevel. Itwould alsofunda projectcoordinatorbasedinGenevaandthree projectmanagersinthe field,allowingfor more robuststaffingfocusedoncapacitydevelopment. The secondis a proposal by UNFPA and UNICEF toAusAidtosupportGBV Coordination forthe AORand a projectmanagerfor the GBV IMS. It wouldalsoinclude supportforthe CaringforSurvivorstraining.
  3. 3. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 3 AORmemberorganizationswere encouragedtocommittoactionitemsonthe plan.Several of the organizationsrepresentedsuggestedthe needformore time tocommitto specificactivities. For example,InterAction’sGVBsub-workinggroupwill be meetingonApril 1st andcoulduse that opportunitytosolicitmembercommitments. Action Item: All additional input,includingagencycommitmentstothe actionitems, shouldbe providednolaterthanApril 8th , at whichtime the Work Planwill be finalizedandredistributedtothe AOR. Communityof Practice/Violence AgainstWomenWebsite Fatimaand Melissadiscussedworktowardthe developmentof aCommunityof Practice aroundGBV and violence againstwomen. Melissaadvisedthe UNDPjustlaunchedthe website “EndingViolence AgainstWomen”http://www.endvawnow.org ,whichaddressesall formsof violence, andwill developingaspecificmodule onsexual violenceinconflict. Communitiesof Practice are being developedaroundspecificsub-areas.The site alsoincludesexpertguidance documentsandinter-active spacesfor practitioners. Furtherdiscussionneedstotake place withregardto how this initiativewould linkwiththe Community of Practice the AORmightdevelop anditwas suggestedthatAORmembersvisitthe site tobetter acquaintthemselveswiththe VaWefforts. Several questions onaCoP remainasto how the “community “ will be defined,whowill hostitandhow itwill be moderated. Action Items: 1. Fatimawill be revisingasurveytobe distributedtoAORmembers tofurtherassessthe needs for a CoP and askedthat AORmembersdistributeit tofieldteams. 2. UNDP (Nika) willshare the name andemail address forthe knowledge managementfocal point for the website withthe AOR. 3. The AOR isrequestingthattwopeople joinanadvisorygrouptohelpmove the processforward. Please contactstoMendy. AOB 1. Erin advisedthatUNFPA hasestablishedaP4 postfor a GBV Coordinatorto be basedinSenegal to coverFrancophone Africaandplayan Inter-Agencyrole.Startingdate will be May1, and she will be inNewYorkat the endof the month. If anyone wouldlike tomeetwithher,please contact Erin. 2. The Financial TrackingSystemhascreateda database for GBV projectsfrom2007-2009. A requestwasmade fortwo people toworkwith Fatimaonmovingthisprocessforward. Pablo indicatedhe maybe available. OthersshouldcontactFatimaif they wouldbe able toparticipate. 3. Haiti related: A requesthascome from the sub-clusterinHaiti forthe AORto assistin developingadditionalActionSheetsforthe subclusterincludinga CCCM, Agriculture,Logistics, Early Recovery,LogisticsandEmergencyTelecommunication ActionSheets. Volunteerswere requestedandCARE,InternationalMedical,andUNICEF indicated thatthey couldassist. With
  4. 4. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 4 regardto the actionsheetsandreferral cardsthe AOR wasremindedthatprintersare very difficulttocome byinHaiti and that it wouldbe helpfulto provide hardcopieswhenever possible. Mendywill be travelingtoHaiti andwill be takingreferral cardswithher. UNFPA also mentionedthatithassentout 500 French-language copiesof the GBV guidelinestoHaiti. 4. Mendyraisedthe issue of the SPHERE guidelinesrevisionprocessandaskedthata sub-groupbe establishedwithinthe AORtoworkon reviewingthiswith regardtoGBV. The timeline forthis isshort. UNFPA, UNICEF,Care, and International Medical Corpsexpressedinterestin participatingandothersshouldcheckbackwithMendy. 5. Maha made note that protectionindicatorshadbeensharedwiththe IASCInformation ManagementTaskForce. 6. Mendy providedabrief update on1888 and notedthat a listof benchmarkstomeasure UN response hadbeendevelopedandthatshe can share the draft with AORmemberswhoare interested;write toMendyaboutthis . NextMeetingofthe GBV AOR As agreedonduringthe 23 February2009 meetingswilltake place every3rd Tuesdayof the month. The nextmeetingwill be April20th at 3:30 – 5:00pm GVA Time // 9:30 – 11:00 NY Time.
  5. 5. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 5 ANNEX1 HAITIGender-BasedViolence(GBV)Sub-ClusterUpdate– 14March2010 Preparedby LinaAbirafeh,GBV Sub-ClusterCoordinator(basedinUNFPAbut also supportedby UNICEF) GBV Sub-Clusterstructure:  Developing a GBV Sub-Cluster action plan that is tied into the National GBV Plan. This is in process and will be available fordiscussion soon.  GBV Sub-Cluster email established: GBVscHaiti@gmail.com. Members are beginning to use these avenues to communicate/coordinate witheach other.  Google group and distribution list established – all documents posted (in 2 languages).  Membership list expanded to include over120 people – emails received regularly on issues, questions, meeting minutes, etc.Information shared on SEA hotlines, ERRFfunding opportunities, etc.  Fatima Hassan in Geneva is supporting us by populating our “oneresponse” page. This is an important source of information and needs tobe up and running quickly.Eventually the deputy can take over posting on Google group and oneresponse to ensure that weare reaching as many as wecan – in as many ways as wecan.  Sunita (UNICEF)has taken the lead on mapping – this was attempted before I arrived but did not succeed – all information will be posted in order to ensure that weare covering all necessary thematic/geographic areas forGBV.  A GBV Sub-Cluster deputy will soon be hired (UNICEF),along with someone who will support GBV activities outside of PaP (UNICEF).Weneed to find arrangements for shared space to facilitate our work.We are also hoping to have extra space (2 desks/computers) forour local NGO partners to be able to workas needed. They have lost infrastructure and human resources and therefore this is an important aspect of our support to them. PreventingGBV:  Arrangements have been made with UNpoland other security to be proactive about security of women in camps. To this end, criteria in camps have been identified that could put women at greater risk (i.e. overcrowding,poor conditions, poor lighting, distance to facilities, previous incidents, etc.) and these criteria have been communicated to UNpol whohave arranged for increased patrols (especially at night and in particular areas) of camps that fit the criteria. It is expected that this willserve as a deterring force.  Regular communication with UNpol(whothereby communicates to Haitian National Police)to prevent gender-based violence in and around IDP sites. When a case of violenceis identified, info is communicated on the location to UNpolto take actions to increase protection of women and girls in sites. We cannot send police to investigate cases – but we are reporting locations of incidents in order to increase security in areas that might be problematic. Security forceswill also be distributing referral cards for access to GBV services.
  6. 6. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 6  Discussions underway withMINUSTAH Human Rights the possibility of joint patrols between MINUSTAH and the National Policein the camps.  Discussions are underway for the creation of a community patrol. There is an existing brigade system that is being organized through camp committees. These groups will need training in order to increase protection of women and girls. I am participating in a joint security-protection assessment this week in order to determine next steps forthis – and have also provided training on GBV research methodologies to the assessment teams (comprised of security, human rights, and others with a variety of disciplines).  Adequate lighting in the camps is still a concern. Through the Special Envoy,discussions are underway forthe provision of additional flashlights for women along with LEDstreetlights. We are currently obtaining data on figures of women in camps in order to submit requests.  UNFPAreceived 17,000 flashlights whichwill be assembled (using a cash for workprogram for youth – male and female) and distributed to women(women living with HIV, disabled women, women’s ministry, other women in camps, etc.).  UNFPAwill give 300 tents to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs to set up in the camps to create safe spaces for women. These are en route – along with 2 4x4 vehiclesfor the Ministry.  In negotiations for new sites, it was agreed that women’s tents were needed – to be used as safe spaces, forservice delivery, skills training, GBV support, livelihoods, etc. These tents will provide an added measure of protection for women. Camp cluster has agreed to provide space for this in the new sites. SOFA (women’s NGO) has agreed that they will provide the services in the 4 tents to be set up in the 2 new sites (1 in Tabarre, 3 in Les Orangers). An ERRF proposal will soon be submitted detailing services. ERRF staff have strongly encouraged this proposal and willassist us to put it through quickly.  Adequate shelter and sanitation forwomen continues to be a concern.There is an additional concern forensuring women’s safety during fooddistribution. Discussions are underway with relevant clusters to this end. There is commitment on the part of the clusters to ensure women’s safety. Much advocacy workhas been done in order to (1) gain recognition of the value of this (2) recognize that women’s safety issues couldbe the barometer by whichall other camp-based services will be judged.  The system of GBV focalpoints in each of the clusters has not been particularly successful. Thusfar I have represented GBV in clusters (a one-woman show!). I am communicating withthe cluster coordinators to see if they have a protection/GBV person they can send to our GBV meetings. This is workingin the case of foodand camps (somewhat ad hoc) but these arrangements need to be formalized. Ultimately it is hoped that GBV members are able to assume more responsibility. The addition of GBV Sub-Cluster staff will aid in this effort – when they are in place!  Sub-Cluster members evaluate and advocatefor measures to increase prevention of violence against women and girls, within and outside of IDP sites. They also raise other issues forfollow up as they are more active in camps and have a solid grasp of the situation.  Through a communications group, the Sub-Cluster is disseminating radio messages to prevent violenceagainst women, and to inform women of where to go to obtain services and support. 6 messages are ready to be broadcast. Links have been made withInterNews and others forthis purpose. I am also strongly urging that we make contactwith Digicel for mass sms of some of our key messages.
  7. 7. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 7  Key issues topursue in the near future: economic empowerment, skills training, microcredit. I am urging that NGOs consider submitting proposals for this purpose through ERRF. These are key prevention mechanisms – and also requests coming fromwomen IDPs themselves. Respondingto GBV:  Working with the health cluster to find ways toprovide rape kits in mobile clinics(approx 160). This will be discussed tomorrow during the health cluster meeting.  The Sub-Cluster has evaluated and updated the list of medical, psychosocial,security, and legal services available to survivorsof gender-based violencein Port-au-Prince,and is in the process of doing the same in Leogane and Jacmel (UNICEF).  The referrals group of the Sub-Cluster has produced a list of 2 NGOs and 7 hospitals in Port-au- Prince that are of an acceptable standard and that are prepared to receive GBV cases. These are currently being printed on cards and will be distributed widely in camps and through the clusters.  Arrangements have been made fordistribution of referral cards through food packets, monitoring and assessment visits, women’s ministry, NGO partners, security patrols, camp coordinators, etc.  We now have email for internal reporting of GBV cases (reportGBVHaiti@gmail.com). We have not yet circulated this as we are still trying to streamline the process of internal reporting. We aim to ensure that when a case is reported to anyone within the UN/clusters it is only addressed by those whoknow what to do to follow up on the cases.  The Sub-Cluster is reactivating a networkof sexual and reproductive health service providers and is providing emergency obstetric kits, and post-rape kits (including post-exposure prophylaxis treatment forHIV) to 4 health centers that offerservice to survivorsof sexual violence.  Hospitals in Port-au-Princethat offerreproductive health services are now also aware of the centers where survivorsof GBV can access support.  An evaluation of police services was conducted. In collaboration with the National Police,the Sub-Cluster is putting in place tents that can be used as private spaces forwomen who are survivors of gender-based violence toreport their cases safely. MonitoringandTrackingCasesofGBV:  The Sub-Cluster group on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is tracking cases of SEA alongside human resources. When the PSEA focalpoint arrives, weplan to liaise with this person to ensure that survivor needs are met. For now, weare tracking information so that we are aware of cases that are reported.  In collaboration with the Concertation Nationale, the Sub-Cluster is workingto reinvigorate the system of GBV case tracking, including the usage of the pre-existing form for tracking cases. Attempts are being made to access the previous GBV database but its status is unclear. However,training is underway in use of the tracking form.  The UNFPAgender unit is helping us to fund an agency to track the database and determine what remains. For now it was agreed that I keep the tracking forms until the database issue is
  8. 8. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 8 clarified. I have alerted GBV Sub-Cluster members to this – and also shared with them the form and the guidelines foruse.  With the ProtectionCluster, the GBV Sub-Cluster is followingup on cases as they arise.  A ProtectionCluster Needs Assessment is underway – GBV information/training was provided. Referral information was distributed to interviewers. Other relevantactivities:  Providing input to the Protectionpaper on principles that guide the relocation process (including GBV risks/concerns). This is currently a draft but willbe shared with GBV Sub- Cluster members soon.  Providing GBV input to the IASC mission’s contingency planning exercise and addressed ways to be proactive in terms of prevention – particularly given the risk of deteriorating security.  Met with the head of the Concertation to reaffirmour commitment to communicating and working together (instead of creating two parallel processes). Agreed to be the link between the Concertation members and the Sub-Cluster to ensure that everyoneis on the same page. This was a welcome suggestion. The Concertation will be meeting again soon – and I will be able to brief everyone further. I willalso share all our documents (actionplan, mapping, etc.) with them.  Members of the Sub-Cluster are participating in the protection meetings on traffickingand psychosocialsupport and are feeding this information backto the GBV Sub-Cluster.  Working with UNIFEMtofind ways to strengthen outreach to CSOs. Members of the Sub-Cluster used to meet withCSOs monthly, but now plans are underway to be more responsive to their needs. Met withInterAction and other NGO umbrella groups in order to tap into their network – and attend their meetings. They will also assist withdissemination of information (i.e. referral cards).  One such effortentails the creation of a new group within the Sub-Cluster on Training and Capacity Building. Training needs will be explored as wellas avenues to ensure self-care for CSOs.  We are ensuring that everyonehas the same understanding and the same access to key documents and information. To this end, weare receiving and distributing IASC GBV Guidelines in French and are also translating the National GBV Plan into English. These are the 2 key documents that guide our work – therefore it is essential that everyoneis on the same page.  Media attention is increasing – and I need to ensure that the GBV Sub-Cluster has the support it needs to get the job done. Last week I had a CNN interview (to be aired soon – willconvey this information as I know more) as well as New YorkTimes. El Pais, Al Jazeera, and other interviews are scheduled for this week.  I am trying to follow up on FLASH appeal projects that are in the pipeline – and will include these in the GBV Sub-Cluster action plan. It wouldbe helpful if the permanent position (P4) could join soon and take this forwardas s/he willeventually be responsible for funding. Alternatively, it would be good to have support managing the GBV budget as money starts to come in.
  9. 9. GBV AoR Meeting Minutes March 16, 2010 9  Ms. Magazine blog is underway (http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/author/linaabirafeh/) – important forpublic relations workand continued international interest/commitment. I will also be using this as a vehiclefor NGO voices,etc. Open to suggestions. Next post on the data issue is coming shortly. UNFPACommunications have been clearing each post before it goes up.  I am workingclosely withthe GBV Sub-Cluster Coordinator in Jimani and we are meeting soon in person to strategize further. Weare also paying special attention to key issues such as trafficking,etc.  This week the GBV Sub-Cluster willbe addressing the issue of support to women outside of PaP. I have been meeting with protection people to better take advantage of their 8 protection staff outside of PaP – they can be our fist points of contactforGBV until we get support services and organizations in place.

×