Universal Music Group and XL Recordings- by Jason and Elma at LSC
Jason Balogun & Elma Otchereh
Universal Music Group
• The Largest Music Corporation inThe World.
• An American based in Santa Monica, California.
• Separated with Universal Studios Inc. in 2006
when the film company was bought by General
Electric (GE). Similar to what happened withTime
• Britain’s Lucian Grainge was announced chairman
& CEO of UMG in 2011, after Doug Morris stepped
down. Doug Morris is now chairman & CEO of
Sony Music Entertainment.
Who Owns Universal Music Group
company since 2000
Ownership in 2006
after UMG split with
Universal Studios Inc.
A Little AboutThe Parent Company
• A French multinational mass media and
• They primarily focus their corporate efforts on
digital entertainment and telecommunications.
• The company has a number of activities in
other industries such as film, music, television
Subsidiaries of Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group is the parent company for many record labels that we are aware of today.
• The Island Def Jam Music Group
• Roc-A-Fella Records
• GOOD Music
• Interscope Geffen A&M
• Aftermath Entertainment
• Bad Boy Records
• Will.i.am Music Group
• Universal Music Group UK
• Decca Records
• Virgin EMI
• Polydor Records
• As well as many more record labels
Universal Music Group &VEVO
• VEVO is an online site and electronic devices application part owned by Universal
• Universal Music Group part ownsVEVO along with another big three record label
Sony Music Entertainment and other world renowned businesses such as Google
andAbu Dhabi Media.
• VEVO was founded by ex-Chairman & CEO of Universal Music Group Doug Morris,
who is now with Sony (SME) in the same position.
• VEVO offers music videos from two of the big three major record labels UMG and
• This is used as method of which they market their artist via music videos.
CROSS-MEDIA & NON-MEDIA
• Vevo is the main cross-media; a site designed for music videos
owned by UMG, Sony and Google as a joint venture.
• There is Universal Studios which is cross-media is anAmerican
motion picture studio. It is one of the 6 major movie studios.
• Universal Orlando which is a non-media interest. It is a theme
park resort in Orlando, Florida. It is the second largest resort in
• Universal Channel which is a cross-media is a television channel
on movies and television. It is launched in many countries such as
UK, Poland, Romania, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, Australia,
Timeline of UMG Since 2000
• 2003 – UMG acquires DreamWorks Records
• 2003 – UMG agree terms with eBay to launch “Universal Music Store”
• 2004 – UMG achieved a 43.07% market share week ending 14th November
• 2005 – Gwen Stefani becomes the first artist to sell 1 million commercial downloads
• 2005 – UMG breaks their market share record and now owns 43.54% of the market
• 2008 – UMG delivers 1 billion video streams viaYouTube
• 2008 – UMG partners with MySpace to create MySpace Music
• 2009 – UMG formsVEVO and joins forces with SME, EMI and CBS Broadcast Inc.
Timeline of UMG Since 2000
• 2010 –The Black Eyed Peas become first group to sell over 6 million US digital
downloads with “I Gotta Feeling”
• 2010 –VEVO named number 1 online music destination by comScore
• 2010 – Lady Gaga becomes first artist to have her first 5 singles reach number 1
• 2011 – UMG forms strategic partnership with Live Nation Entertainment
• 2012 – UMG completes their acquisition of EMI Recorded Music
How Does UMG MarketTheirActs
• Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is a global leader in music publishing
and represents music in every genre from some of the world’s hottest songwriters
and catalogues UMPG is also a global leader in the areas of Classical,
Christian/Gospel, and Production Music. Additionally, UMPG plays a major role in
film andTV, administering the music ofWarner Bros. Entertainment, Universal
Studios, HBO, DreamWorks, NBC and Sesame Workshop, among others.
• UMPG is responsible for recording studios ensuring that the state of the art
equipment is used; creative services – song plugging, income tracking along with
other areas of music production.
• Bravado is the only global, 360 degree full service merchandise company, develops
and markets high-quality licensed merchandise to a world-wide audience.The
company works closely with new and established entertainment clients, creating
innovative products carefully tailored to each artist or brand.
• They are responsible for the merchandise sold on tours, online, etc.
• Bravado is the company behind the majority of UMG artist official online stores.
Artists include Lil Wayne, Mindless Behaviour,TakeThat and many more.
Distribution of UMG Music
• Within the US UMG have their own distribution company that manages the sales,
marketing and distribution of UMG artist as well as other creative work associated
with UMG, in all digital formats. UMG Distributions has been the industry market
share leader for the past fifteen years.
• Outside of the US, the country’s UMG offices handle their own distribution and
sales whereas in some cases in other markets UMG companies have sub-
contracted services to third parties otherwise gone into into distribution joint
ventures with other record labels.
• Founded in 1989 by Richard Russell,Tim Palmer & Nick
• The record label is based in London UK - National label
• The record label was originally launched to release rave
and dance music
• They release on average 6 albums a year
Who Owns XL Recordings
• XL Recordings is owned by a British record company
known as the Beggars Group
• The record label originated from a chain of record
stores known as Beggars Banquet
• Beggars Group was founded by Martin Mills, he has
become known as a fierce supporter for independent
• Beggars Group also owns other labels such as 4AD,
RoughTrade Records & Matador Records
• They are responsible for the distribution of XL
Recent History of XL
• 2003: XL Recordings won the MusicWeek A&R award.
• 2009: XL won the "Music Week" Best Independent Label award.
• 2011: Sales of Adele's 21 helped increase XL Recordings' bank balance from
£3million to £32million in the space of 12 months.
• 2012: XL Recordings was named 'Label of theYear' at the Music Week Awards in
Artist Under XL Recordings
• Jai Paul
• TylerThe Creator ( was signed for a one album deal for his second studio album
Adele has her
her and her
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.