Each year, we release The Menu, a thought piece about the next 12-18 months in the marketing and advertising world. We highlight trends and insights as well, as, a few companies we feel are doing
Each year, we release The Menu, a thought piece about the next 12-18 months in the marketing and advertising world. We highlight trends and insights as well, as, a few companies we feel are doing really interesting things.
1. What excites us for 2012... THE MENUPresented by The Media Kitchen July 2012
2. THE MENU FOR 2012In February 2011, we launched our first digital Menu at The MediaKitchen. Thousands of Slideshare views, hundreds of re-tweets, andnumerous inquiries later, we decided to release another Menu for2012.In short, the Menu is comprised of our thoughts on the industry andwhat we expect to see over the next 12 months or so. We know this isbold and have only written about five areas, so we certainly leftsome big important things out. Use this guide as a direction to pointyour organization and we think good things will happen.The Menu is based on a few criteria: what our clients are asking forfrom the front lines, what the agency believes in and is pushingforward, and what is being innovated in the marketplace byentrepreneurial companies that we think are inspiring.Enjoy the read and feel free to reach out if you have any questions orcomments.
4. 5 TRENDS WE ARE WATCHING 3
6. SEAMLESS CROSS CHANNEL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION 5trends
7. SEAMLESS CROSS CHANNEL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION 5 LOCATION PLAYS AN INCREASINGLY IMPORTANT ROLE FOR TARGETINGtrends
8. SEAMLESS CROSS CHANNEL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION 5 LOCATION PLAYS AN INCREASINGLY IMPORTANT ROLE FOR TARGETING CROSS PLATFORM ENGAGEMENTtrends
9. SEAMLESS CROSS CHANNEL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION 5 LOCATION PLAYS AN INCREASINGLY IMPORTANT ROLE FOR TARGETING CROSS PLATFORM ENGAGEMENTtrends MARKETING IS CONTENT
10. SEAMLESS CROSS CHANNEL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION 5 LOCATION PLAYS AN INCREASINGLY IMPORTANT ROLE FOR TARGETING CROSS PLATFORM ENGAGEMENTtrends MARKETING IS CONTENT LINKED EXPERIENCES ACROSS DEVICES
12. SEAMLESS CROSS SOCIALCHANNEL COMMUNICATION 5
13. CROSS SOCIAL CHANNELCOMMUNICATIONSocial media communications comes in all shapes and sizes across the paid, owned,and earned ecosystem. Fragmentation has occurred across social platforms becauseeach platform is essentially a closed ecosystem (many, not all). We expect to see thefollowing over 2012:1. We will see brands reacting quicker within social media because they have removedorganizational friction that has historically delayed updates.2. We anticipate brands becoming more durable in the social media space andparticipating in ways that might not have worked in the past (e.g. changing the color oflogo to match a site design [GE & Pinterest])3. As more brands harness social media, we’ll see even more social media vendors inthe ecosystem because there are increasing dollars to go around. These additionalvendors will lead to confusion and chaos but over time, it will settle out and the spacewill be easily navigable.
14. COMPANIES TO WATCHRecently acquired by Quickly deploy social marketing Helps marketers use a scientiﬁcSalesforce, Buddy Media has campaigns across multiple methodology to understandbecome an increasingly more platforms including Facebook, when and what to tweet acrossinteresting company because of StumbleUpon, LinkedIn and the social sphere. Social Flowthis new corporate relationship. others. In addition, Adaptly has has helped clients optimize theirWe look to see Buddy Media built a scoring methodology content distribution by puttingincorporate with the Salesforce called Momentum which helps the right content in front of theappstore and social has become marketers understand their right audience at the right time.now a seamless sales tool. business momentum. Very interesting when the world is full of content.
16. LOCATION PLAYS ANINCREASINGLY IMPORTANTROLE FOR TARGETING 8
17. LOCATIONNo longer is media planning all about audience & context. We now have a thirdvariable which is “location.” As more and more content on the web becomestagged with latitude and longitude, we have the ability to target audience andcontext based on location.1. We will see media databases include location information which help informplanning. We can learn a lot more about locations with much more up to dateinformation.2. Message creation is location aware and relevant (location) messages areserved. This creates production inefficiencies in the beginning but new workflowsolutions will emerge to satisfy the demand.3. Geospatial planning is added and we will see increased triggers based onlatitude/longitude. Google Glasses are an early example of this.
18. COMPANIES TO WATCHPlaceIQ has created 100 meter As intent data proliferates well As marketers create apps, Xtifyby 100 meter tiles of major beyond the traditional search enables marketers to pushmetropolitan areas which help engines, companies like location aware messaging toprovide cookie-less context to LocalResponse are capturing users devices. These messagesunderstanding geo location. this and helping marketers allow a marketer to create aWe’re bullish on PlaceIQ respond in real-time. Because content stream that blurs thebecause it helps add location LocalResponse specializes in line between CRM, advertising,data into planning and buying social, most of this data is geo- and interactivity. You need yourstream and improves aware. own app (or two) to deployperformance of campaigns. Xtify but once embedded, location triggered content is at your ﬁnger tips.
20. CROSS PLATFORM ENGAGEMENT 11
21. CROSS PLATFORMENGAGEMENTBorrowing a few tricks from the loyalty program playbook, we’re anticipatingseeing micro experiences carried out across both online and offline platforms allmeasured into a database for segmentation purposes. Some of these programsare gamification enabled and others are not, but the commonality across theseprograms are that they are highly measurable and give brands access to datathat historically was unstructured.1. We are going to see a shift from a cruise ship strategy (plan one very largecampaign) to a speedboat strategy (many, small campaigns). Thesespeedboats will be fast and measurable.2. CRM databases will begin to evolve with social data coming out ofmeasurable cross platform engagements.3. Platforms become widely available for marketers to deploy which mimickrobust loyalty programs. Gamification is a component of these platforms, notthe overall strategy so brands will move from pure gamification to sustainablecross platform engagement plans.
22. COMPANIES TO WATCHEveryone who touches a digital Creating waves in the digital Crowdtwist allows fordevice creates nuggets of data ecosystem typically comes marketers to implement theirthat become valuable. Rewind down to inﬂuence. loyalty platform and connecthelps consumers organize their SocialChorus allows brands to both online and ofﬂinedata and allow for brands to navigate to authentic inﬂuential information in one place.target them, cookie-less, voices but also have an ongoing Crowdtwist platform helpsthrough what a consumer relationship with them to build brands segment and rewardactually does. We like to call business. This is all done their customer and prospectthis data “action-data,” beyond through platform that provides bases through the digital worldintent level data. deeper insights into the and measure efﬁcacy of each outcomes of inﬂuential actions. individual campaign.
24. MARKETING IS CONTENT 14
25. CONTENT MARKETINGMarketing is content and content is certainly marketing. Thinking aboutadvertising as content opens up new and native ways to embed a brandsthinking into the fabric and motion of the Internet. As we move towards a moresocial platform driven Interweb, then understanding content marketing is goingto be a key to future success.1. As native advertising opportunities emerge, the prominent format that theywill take across the social web will be content based (text, audio, video, image)2. The number one reason why people surf the web is to consume content... sowhy not create content and place it organically along the journey that peopletake?3. Creating voluminous content is not the answer, but rather content that isengaging and drives pass along value will rise to the top with consumers.
26. COMPANIES TO WATCHTumblr is not necessarily new, Kaleidoscope is an app that’s Fancy has created a platformbut it’s new Spotlight feature is bringing fashion and e- that allows users to generaterecently released and allows any commerce closer together. their own looks and picturestumblog to “spotlight” a post Based on the looks that the app and then allows their viewers toand have it organically stick out covers, consumers have the shop. Content consumptionamongst all others. A nice nod ability to shop for any and all of and sales are directly correlatedto content marketing at a very the items represented. A nice and it’s a platform we’reefﬁcient mass-consumer price seamless way to blend content keeping our eye on.point, $1. and marketing together with the ability to pull out rich insights as to which products are hot.
28. LINKED EXPERIENCESACROSS DEVICES 17
29. LINKED EXPERIENCESACROSS DEVICESAs technology gadgets proliferate your home or office, software creators havethe opportunity to drive a connected content experience across multipledevices. An execution of this is when you are watching a 30s TV spot on your50” flatscreen and at the same time, content is triggered on your tablet that isrelated to the 30s spot. Ideally, the content that is triggered takes advantage ofthe device it is on and is not repurposed from another device.1. As devices become more complex, they afford marketers and contentcreators the opportunity to create enhanced experiences that take advantageof items such as accelerometers and gestural interfaces.2. We are going to see an abundance of second screen applications for liveprogramming such as the NFL, fashion shows, and forthcoming Olympics.3. Devices will become increasingly aware of the other devices in use aroundthem in order to adapt the software experience for the consumer so that theyare given a single brand enhancing experience on each device.
30. COMPANIES TO WATCH Microsoft’s XBox has Second Screen has created aShazam has always allowed its silently crept its way into way for marketers to synch upusers to capture the consumers media world as their television spots with theirsoundwaves that surround a gaming console but online advertising, speciﬁcallythem but as they move forward quickly has emerged to be display & video. Consumerstowards capturing television much more than that. With who go to websites that arecontent, they will open up more their upcoming SmartGlass native to a television show/opportunities to sync a second technology the mobile event can view synchedscreen experience that is device will be synced as a advertisements and get a muchmeaningful to consumers. controller and/or content deeper experience. container.
31. WE HOPE YOU ENJOYED...Should you have any additional questions, we hope you reach out to us. http://www.mediakitchen.tv http://www.slideshare.net/MediaKitchen/ @themediakitchen http://tmkthefridge.tumblr.com/