1. Sample tech-based lesson: Using Khan
Academy for adult education.
2. Create your own technology integration
3. Questions & Answers.
Rules for the Road
• Stay with the group! Don’t get distracted
by your mobile device or side
• Questions? Yes, please! Just raise your
hand and tell me your name & location.
Computer-Based Test Taking Skills
In addition to using a mouse, test-takers must:
• Scroll down a page
• Navigate between tabs to read pages
• Select answers from drop-down menus
• Drag-and-drop answers to a graph or chart
• Use a virtual calculator (TI-30XS)
• Type two short answers and two extended
responses (~25 WPM)
• Use basic word processing tools
Integrating Technology in Teaching:
Field Tested in Cleveland, Ohio
• Watch, pause, rewind, and finish a
math learning video.
• Complete math practice problems.
• Sign up for a Google account.
• Sign up for Khan Academy.
• Sign up for a “Coach.”
Directions for Student Use
One person per computer
Each person wears headphones
Open your browser
Type in KhanAcademy.org and press Enter
What to do with Khan Academy?
Find math to learn
Pros & Khans of Free Online Content
This is the best ever!
I’ll make it work.
This is the worst!
How to Plan in Advance:
1. Decide on your theme.
2. Select your instructional standards and a
student activity to engage content.
3. Evaluate available technology for student use.
4. Provide specific directions for student use.
5. Set up the safe for access and security.
6. Consider worst case scenario: how will you
handle struggling students or tech difficulties?
Your Turn! Create Your Technology
• Each person should have a blank technology
• Get in groups of four to six people.
• Designate one person as the recorder to write
down the technology plan.
Take It Home
• The PowerPoint and handout is available for
view or download at my website:
• You have permission to use these workshop
materials in your program as long as you
attribute Meagen Farrell and New Readers
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education and
may not be used without permission. The GED® and GED Testing Service®
brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license.