The Evolution of Social
Lee Aase (@LeeAase)
Origins of Social
• Goal: Create a hands-on social media crash
course emphasizing practical application in
health care and development of strategic plans
• 1.5-day intensive course with faculty/student
ratio of 1:8
• First held Oct. 20-21, 2011 in Rochester, Minn.
after #MayoRagan Social Media Summit
• Residency metaphor but no overnight shifts
• Favorable response and lots of learning
• Issues with Resident burn-out
• General punchiness after 5 p.m.
• At end of a long week, the overnight writing
assignment was underappreciated
• Residency metaphor didn’t break down, but
• Kept 1.5-day format, but ended at 5:30 vs. 7 p.m.
• Held 2x (Spring/Fall) in Rochester, Jacksonville
• Moved Oct in RST to front of Social Media Week
• Starting Fresher
• Encouraging application during #MayoRagan
• Continued Spring/Fall in Rochester,
Jacksonville and Scottsdale/Phoenix
• Held course in NYC, Dallas and Seattle
• Discussed improvements for 2014 with EAB
• Shorten to one day to reduce costs
• Online “prerequisite” modules
• SMHN members hosting opportunity
Prereq EPL Twitter FB Blog Video Metrics
Usefulness of Program
• Continue to Refine Program based on feedback
• Upcoming sessions scheduled
• Sept. 15 in Arizona
• Oct. 20 in Rochester
• Nov. 10 in Jacksonville
• Virtual Residency and Hosted Sessions TBD
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.