1. Past Simple
Regular and Irregular verbs
The normal rule is to add –ed.
If the verb ends in –e add –d.
If the verb has only one syllable + one vowel + one
consonant, double the consonant.
If the verb ends in a consonant + -y, change the –y to
There are many common irregular verbs.
cut, speak, read
Add only –d when the base form ends in an -e
If the verb ends in a vowel + y , do not change the y Just add – ed
pray prayed stay stayed destroy destroyed
Do not double final w or x
• Sew sewed
• mix mixed
If the verb has two syllables, and the final syllable is stressed, double the final consonant.
ad mit’ admitted
oc cur’ occurred
per mit’ permitted
If the verb has two syllables, and the final syllable is not stressed, do not double the
• hap’ pen happened
• lis’ ten listened
• o’ pen opened
4. Pronunciation rules.
If the sound is voiceless. If the sound is voiced. If the Word ends in –t or –d sound.
5. We use past Simple for Completed Action in
• Use the Past Simple to express a past action that is now
finished. It started and finished at a specific time in the past.
• Notice the time expression that are used with the Past Simple.
• last night
• I saw a movie yesterday. (Irregular)
• I didn't see a play yesterday.
• Last year, I traveled to Jordan.
• Last year, I didn't travel to Kuwait.
• She washed her car.
• He didn't wash his car.
The form of Past Simple is the same for all persons.
The negative of the Past Simple is formed with didn’t.
He didn’t walk.
didn’t (did not)
9. Yes/No questions
The question in the Past Simple is formed with did.
10. Short answer
Did you go to work yesterday?
Yes, I did.
Did it rain last night?
No, I didn’t
11. Let’s practice.
1. Last year I_____________________ (go) to England on holiday.
2. I ________________________(visit) lots of interesting places. I
was with two friends of mine .
3. In the mornings we_________________ (walk) in the streets of
In the evenings we____________________ (go) to pubs.
I ___________________ (not/study) because of the weather.
She__________________(bring) food for the party.
But we______________________ (see) some beautiful rainbows.
Where _______________________(spend / you) your last