1. Learn from the Herd
SearchLove Boston 2014
Matthew Brown – @MatthewJBrown
2. Prologue: I‟m proud to be a
part of the SEO herd
Forgive me for any trash talk!
3. Credit: Dvidshu
How we see ourselves
4. Credit: Dvidshu
Closer to the truth?
5. Information Cascades
An information (or informational) cascade
occurs when people observe the actions
of others and then make the same choice
that the others have made, independently
of their own private information signals.
6. Exhibit A: PageRank Sculpting!
7. Information cascades = Jackpot for Google
8. It‟s just SEOs, Matt, and penalties
9. Don‟t believe the hype
10. SEO “truth”: Brand will save us!
11. Reality: You can still get hit, and for good
12. UK Brands are the latest victims - http://bit.ly/1gRRJI5
13. SEO “truth”: On-page is dead
Are we seeing
of on-page factors?
14. Or maybe it‟s just moved on from strings
15. SEO “truth”: Authorship is dead
16. Reality: I want my „SEO Guide‟ ranking!
17. What about my beautiful metrics?
18. SEO “truth”: Using markup is suicide
19. Reality: Google don‟t need ya
This is just a
20. It‟s even happening
to your friends
SEO “truth”: Google‟s real estate grabs are
21. SEO “truth”: Any SERP visibility is good
22. Reality: Don‟t forget about searcher intent!
23. SEO “truths” are why I yell (and drink)
24. But I‟ve got 26,000 customers to serve
What have I
25. What the heck are SEOs up to?
Credit: Jouni Seppanen
26. Industry Survey Data
27. Industry trends: SEO not dead, big push to Content
28. Content! Less focus on links
29. Adoption of Content marketing tools
Google is the top three
for content marketing
30. We hear: Content performance is hard to
“We use GWT, Excel,
Screaming Frog and hack
it all together in one big
33. Rankings: Consistent, but no huge growth
Consistent rankings usage since Not
34. “Rankings will be dead
within one year”
“I still report rankings,
but as a composite
metric. Not individual
“Rankings are part of my
reporting, but near the
We hear: Rankings are less important
35. We hear: SERP visibility is hard to measure
#3 organic ranking. How
much traffic is that
36. OSE usage has risen 50% in the last two years
Links has big
growth within OSE
37. Fresh Web Explorer & Followerwonk growing
FWE usage is up 40% and Followerwonk 17% in the last 12 months
38. Hypothesis: The herd is just starting to break
away from „Old Testament‟ SEO
39. Who‟s leading us?
(my SEO Academy Award)
40. SEO of the Year*
*award has no cash value
41. BILL „m-effin‟ SEBALD!
42. For testing old assumptions - http://bit.ly/MemcTW
43. And hacking future SERPs- http://bit.ly/1cgMoaE
44. Keep hacking!
45. Hack together your SEO experiments:
Test these on
your own sites!
46. Hack your visibility - Google ved parameter:
47. Hack your competition - Nerdy Data:
48. Hack your competitor‟s strategy - Rival IQ:
49. My prediction for our future? PAIN.
50. Start thinking about your “Future SERPs”
51. Plan a „non-HTML‟ SEO strategy
KG cards for Google Glass - http://bit.ly/1lsjG9V
52. Early adoption: Your only option
New tech like JSON-LD for data markup - http://bit.ly/1k52cmx
JSON-LD lets you
JSON instead of
53. If you haven‟t started, you‟re late
Common crawl stats for Nov 2013 - http://bit.ly/1k7Nprm
585 million URLs have
structured data now, up
almost 50% from last
year. Schema.org is half
of the total.
54. Get Freebase dialed in: YESTERDAY
55. Roll your own Knowledge Graph - http://bit.ly/1fGAjgM
56. It‟s all about Google+
Google is rolling in identity layers for everything