2. 2010 Chile earthquake● The 2010 Chile earthquake occurred on February 27, 2010.● The quake measured 8.8 on the Richer acale.● Tsunami occurred, it killed many people, but damage by tsunami like 1960 Valdivia earthquake did not occurred in Japan and Hawaii.● The earthquake death toll reached eight hundred and more.● Chilean President announced that two million people had been affected by this earthquake.
3. Tsunami● Waves as high as 30 metres and more occurred.● In French Polynesia waves 1.8m high swept ashore.● Five hundred people killed by tsumai, big damage was caused by official announcement of the tsunami warning lating.● Tsunami reached Hawaii, Japan and French Polynesia, but big damage did occurred.● Major tsunami warning was announced by Japan Meteorological Agency.
4. Damage● In 1939, earthquake rating 8.3 on the moment magnitude scale occurred.● In 1943, earthquake rating 8.3 on the moment magnitude scale occurred.● In 1960, earthquake rating 9.5 on the moment magnitude scale occurred. It is the greatest earthquake in the histry of earthquake observation.● In 2010, earthquake rating 8.8 on the moment magnitude scale occurred. Major earthquakes have occurred in several tens-year in Chile.
5. Pacific Ring of Fire● Pacific Ring of Fire is that Volcanic zone surrounding around the Pacific.● Japanese archipelago and Chile is on Pacific Ring of Fire.● Earthquakes occur frequently in Pacific Ring of Fire.
6. Earthquake Standards● Chile suffered great earthquakes many times. So, severe quakeproofing standards is established.● Chile is not so rich.The cost of down-market house is low but, if building is not earthquake-proof,building could not be built.● In 2010 Haiti earthquake, a lot of buildings were completely destroyed. Most of buildings were not earthquake-proof. So, many people get under collapsing building and dead.
7. Aftershock● Strong aftershock occurred many times.● Earthquake rating 4.5 and more on the moment magnitude scale 326 times.● Earthquake rating 6.0 and more on the moment magnitude scale 16 times.
8. Summary● 2010 Chile earthquake killed 800 people.● Chile is on Pacific Ring of Fire, so great earthquake occurs many times.● 1960 Valdivia earthquake was the greatest earthquake in the histry of earthquake observation. It registered a magnitude of 9.5 on the Richter scale.● There are severe quakeproofing standards in Chile.● Great tsunai occurs many times, it killed many people.