1. Wan-ting Chiang _ Katerina Myrizaki _ Elaine MoralesRECOVERY PLAN FOROFUNATO & SATARIRecovery Stage – Long Term Planning
2. Ofunato, Japan- MasterplanGuidelines for a Post-Disaster Planning General Structure the planning process covering land use planning, physical planning, and strategic planning. Local government should determine how existing land uses and construction technologies contributed to disaster impacts and to determine how regulations should be modified to reduce future disaster risk. Carry out a stakeholder mapping, and structure systematic and meaningful community participation at all stages of planning. Integrate relocation areas into the existing fabric of the NEW sites. For Ofunato Plan for growth ---- Consolidate unused land ---- Restore Connectivity ---- Create development nodes. At the sites Integrate land uses ---- avoid segregation ---- plan for emergency access.
3. Ofunato, Japan- MasterplanTimeline Long term master plan Phase VI [20 years] • Full Regeneration
4. Ofunato, Japan- MasterplanThe intervention is focused in the regeneration of the disaster border VULNERABILITY BORDER
5. MasterPlanThe Guidelines from the Existing plan1 Recognize the coast area as aspecial zoning area.2 Improve the connections andtransportation networks asprevention.3 Relocate Housing to HigherLand.4 Encourage the regenerationof the town with activities.*acupuncture
6. MasterPlanThe Guidelines from the Proposed Plan1 Encouraging mix-use instead ofconcentrated single land usezoning2 Give up sinking coastal area3 Retrieving facilities andinfrastructure backwards from theseaside to prevent total destructionof the citys livelihood.4 Replacing the idea of high-riselevee with buffer park(risingmaximum 3m, when the rest of theflat land is finally raised)
7. MasterPlanProposal 1 Zoning • Buffer park • Recreational Flooding Zone • Levee (different location) • Aquaculture / fish farming • Mix-use / decentralization • Tourism / coastal activity hotspot New Residential Area Sunken Area Residential Residential Original Touristic Flexible Cement Factory Aguaculture Fish Market
8. MasterPlanProposal 2 Evacuation and connection: • New motorway junction (near hospital) • Move the schools • Wider main roads towards mountain area • Connect traffic light/sign system to tsunami/earthquake siren system New Residential Area Sunken Area Residential Residential Original Touristic Flexible Cement Factory Aguaculture Fish Market
9. Ofunato, Japan- Site SelectionBefore and After
10. SitePlanTemporary Zoning
11. SitePlan Temporary StageTarget: Human Loss +Psychological Impact +Vulnerable Community(Affected by tsunami)
12. SitePlanLong-term Zoning Flexible Development Area
13. SitePlanLong-term StageFlexible Development Area
14. Tsunami Safety GuidelinesFrom the masterplan - physical1 Accept the frequency of tsunamisand the continuous rising of thewater and setback the border of Mangroves are remarkably efficientconstructions. in resisting a tsunami surge.2 Improve the evacuation pathsfrom the dangerous zones andcreate physical buffers asprevention.3 Move to higher land basicservices and housing.4 Invest in the design tsunami A well maintained forest land at the shore land is a useful andresistant structures at hazard zones sustainable buffer for tsunamiand its urban location. impact.
15. Tsunami Safety Guidelines For the design of the structures – it is not all about floating Try to avoid the full force impact of the tsunami and explore new possibilities. A VS Building B is safer than A B Building A, because is not hit by full force.Tsunami Safe(r) HouseIncrease the Porosity of Constructions
16. Tsunami Safety GuidelinesGovernance and Regulations 1 Keep on the Education for the Floor pattern at the 3 kilometers next generations MEMORIAL border. Support Offices and improve 2 Shoreline monitoring system communications and warning systems
17. Tsunami Safety GuidelinesGovernance and Regulations
18. Tsunami Safety GuidelinesGovernance and Regulations 3 Include the community in meetings and trainings about tsunami. 4 Create new routes for easy evacuation and improve the existing ones.