1958 Constitution for Internal Self-
• The Executive will be the Head of State or Yang-di-
Pertuan Negara, prime minister and local minister
• 51 member of the Legislative will be elected in 1959
• The responsibility of the Singapore’s internal self-
government is on trade, industry, health, education,
finance, housing, law and finance
• The British will be in charge of external affairs and
• Internal security is what both party share responsibility
• This election was the first fully democratic election so it
was significant in Singapore’s history.
• All the members in the Legislative Assembly were elected
by the people. There were no nominated members.
• It was compulsory for eligible members to vote.
• The Citizenship Ordinance was passed in 1957 and this
let those people not born in Singapore to be Singapore
citizens. This help to increase the number of voters to
• 13 political parties took part in the election. There were
194 candidates contesting for 51 seats in the Legislative
• The political parties worked hard for more votes by the
newspaper, radio, door-to-door visit, pamphlets, rallies
and loud speaking on vehicles
Results of the 1959 election
• The People’s Action Party was the biggest winner in the
1959 election winning 43 seats. IT has so many votes
because it was seen to be an honest political party.. It
also have a completed plan for Singapore’s development
including education and medical health. A large group of
trade unions and Chinese Schools showed their support
for the People’s Action Party. It also look more organized
than the other parties.
• The People Action Party formed self government
sucessfully, The leader of the Party, Lee Kuan Yew,
became the first prime minister
• The national flag, national anthem and the national crest
were developed. Zubir Said composed and wrote the
• Singapore was not independent yet because the British
still hold the power in some area of government including
External Affair and External Defence
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.