1. The Venn of Blogger Relations Relevant Brands Blog Niche Connection Creating Relevance One Niche at a Time Conversational Media Group 10/18/2011
2. Agenda• Context/Assumptions• Review of Blogger Programs • Types • Common Features• Current Situation• Recommended Strategic Direction/Examples• Conversational Media Group Process
3. ContextDeﬁnitions are evolving and lines can blur but broadly speaking... • Blogger Outreach: “Inﬂuential” bloggers are identiﬁed in various ways and contacted by Brand/Brand representatives and invited to an event, asked to participate in something, provided product or product samples, or some combination (large or small) in exchange for an implicit agreement that they will write about their experience (including disclosing what they received.) It is typically a one-off though sometimes bloggers receive follow up products and invitations. • Blogger Relations: Bloggers within a pre-deﬁned niche are identiﬁed and contacted by Brands, Companies or their representatives to engage in an ongoing relationship based upon a mutual connection...the connection between the Brand, the bloggers and the bloggers’ community. Input and opinions is sought in addition to content creation. The relative inﬂuence (readership size) of the bloggers is not always as important as their involvement with /passion for the “connection” to the Brand or Companies “agenda.” • Sponsored Content/Conversations: This can be a single blog post or an entire blog but it consists of an explicit agreement that a blogger will write about/review a product (s), service (s), event (s), or on an agreed upon topic in exchange for compensation (direct or through a blogger network). The sponsorship is disclosed.
4. 19% Say They Trust Paid Reviews Mitigating Factors •Relevance of the Brand to Blogger’s content •Trustiness of the Blogger •Disclosure Fleishman-Hillard’s 2010 Digital Inﬂuence Index (pdf),
19. The Venn of Blogger Relations Relevant Blog Niche Brands Connection
20. Brands & Recipes• Media Post study* indicated that of the top clicked and searched keywords across 16 CPG Brand websites • 58% of top 100 keywords were recipe speciﬁc • 20% were Brand speciﬁc • 18% were food speciﬁc • 2% were related to coupons *http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/134177/Text
21. 1% of Google searches are recipe related 1 billion searches a month
27. Celiac Disease? BloggersRecipes Celiac disease affects about 1 percent of the U.S. Population Athletics experts estimate that as many as 10 percent have a related and poorly understood condition known as non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI), or gluten sensitivity.
29. Creating Relevant Connections One Niche at a Time
30. Other Active Blogger Niches• Diabetics• Green/Sustainable• Organic
33. Relevant Connections• Successful bloggers create content about topics that they care about, often passionately care about, to share with their equally caring and passionate community.• Brands need to connect in a place that transcends the product attributes and even the beneﬁts; the connection should be deﬁned by a shared interest or passion.
34. Common Feature For Success• Call To Action• Emotional Connection• Shareable Content• Add Visible, Unique Value• If Part of a Campaign, a Mechanism for Ongoing Contact• Metrics to Determine Success
35. Conversational Media Group Process• Brand Inventory• Strategy/Content Strategy• Identify and Evaluate Matching Blog Niches• Determine Relevant Connection• Identify Bloggers• Develop Pilot Program• Contact Bloggers• Launch Pilot• Measure/Reﬁne/Launch• Measure/Report