Training staff for RDM support- Case Helsinki University Library
MARI ELISA KUUSNIEMI
HELSINKI UNIVERSITY LIBRARY,
MEILAHTI CAMPUS LIBRARY TERKKO
• The University of Helsinki (UH)
• 40,000 students and staff members
• Helsinki University Library
• 4 campus libraries and some branch libraries
• 220 staff members
• Meilahti Campus Library Terkko
• Medical library
• 25 staff members
• The library coordinates the meetings of research
data management (RDM) support services:
• IT center, university archive, National Library and
research administration (ethics, legal matters)
• The research data policy of Helsinki University is
under construction. The library is involved in this
• The library has an active role in national research
data management projects.
Study year 2012-2013
• Coordinator Mari Elisa Kuusniemi (information
• 15 library staff members
• from every campus library
• various expertises
• IL teachers, information specialists, librarians
PARTICIPANTS IN IN-HOUSE
10 workshops, 3 h/session
• Learning goals for the training
• Data documentation and metadata
• Research data archives
• Data management plans
• LIBER: Ten recommendations for libraries to get
started with research data management
• Researchers telling about their research data
• Data models and metadata
• Usage of data and ethics
• Data archive providers
• Expert of persistent identification from National
• Expert of national health statistics and registries
EXPERT VISITORS IN
• Find job advertisements for ”Data Librarian”.
• What skills you have already?
• What skills you need to get?
• Find Data Management support websites by other libraries.
• Which are the main topics?
• Pick up an interesting RDM issue and teach it to others.
• Give a short presentation about a research data archive in
your subject field.
• First, a literature review about RDM in a specific
• Then, a survey or an interview study about the
existing and needed RDM support services:
• Reporting the results to the participants of the
• An expectancy and objectives survey in the
• We decided our learning goals together
• Workshops as interactive as possible
• We taught each other
• Survey at the middle of course: ”How has it been?
Any improvement suggestions?”
A plan for research data management support
and training services:
•Strategy for organizing RDM services
•Communication and web services
•Training and information services
•The library has a RDM working group.
•The library gives the basic education of RDM
to the doctoral schools (since spring 2014).
•Support email address for RDM and DMP
•A webpage project is nearly ready.
•Learning by doing works great.
•Do not start by pondering the role of the
library, start with the facts!
ÞYou will find out that the role of the library is
actually very clear for the participants in the
•Taking the skills to the practice is not an easy
Þ Support needed
Mari Elisa Kuusniemi
Science Information Specialist