The British Legacy In Huelva 3rd Cycle of Primary Education
The itinerary that we are going to do is presented under the title The British Legacy in Huelva. It is a route which illustrates the important cultural heritage left by the English in our province and town. This presence takes the last thirty years of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. The British Legacy In Huelva
1801 1850 1900 1901 1950 2000 1873 1954 Aproximately, more than 80 years! XXth Century XIXth Century The British Legacy In Huelva
In 1873 the government of the First Republic assigned the exploitation of the Riotinto mines (an area known since antiquity for its rich metal content) to the omnipotent Riotinto Company Limited. This company revolutionized the traditional methods used to extract minerals. They used open cast pits such as Corta Atalaya.
They constructed a railway to be used as an outlet for its production, which transported the mineral to the port of Huelva. They loaded the minerals onto ships using purpose-built piers of the most advanced engineering.
For 81 years, Riotinto became almost a British colony, and English enclave which depended economically on Great Britain, and which form a cultural and social point of view introduced different customs to the area such as: <ul><li>Football,
beach tourism in the summer resort of Punta Umbría,
The British influence transforms the economy in Huelva and the life in the city. Huelva was transformed into the copper capital of Europe, leaving their imprint on the development of the city and its province. They introduced the most advanced technology, built the railways and possessed the know-how to exploit the world’s richest copper mines of the time.
British introduced their own customs and constructed their buildings in the Victorian style of the time. They destroyed and rebuilt entire villages using the location of mineral contents as the sole criteria.
The capital was completely transformed: from a sleepy fishing town with small and modest buildings, it became a trade emporium with rich bourgeois buildings and magnificent examples of industrial architecture which still stand today.
In 1954 the mines where sold to the Spanish Franco's government. · Hugh Matheson, 1873–1898 · John J.J. Keswick, 1898–1904 · Charles W. Fielding, 1904–1923 · Albert Milner, 1923–1925 · Auckland Geddes, 1925–1947 · Bessborough, 1947–1954 PRESIDENTS OF RIOTINTO COMPANY LIMITED
TENNIS IN RIOTINTO The British Legacy In Huelva
TENNIS IN HUELVA: <ul><li>Huelva Recreation Club: football, cricket and tennis (1880)