USE OF NANOTECHNOLOGY
• Nanotechnology is not exactly a
• Nanotechnology offers the possibility of
great advances in construction.
• As concrete is most usable material in
construction industry it’s been required to
improve its quality.
What is Nanotechnology ??
Nanotechnology is the understanding, control,
and restructuring of matter on the order of
nanometers (i.e., less than 100 nm) to create
materials with fundamentally new properties
Two terms in nanotechnology
• Nano science
• Nano engineering
• Top down approach
• Bottom top approach.
• Concrete is a nanostructured,
multi-phase, composite material.
• It composed of an amorphous phase, nanometer to
micrometer size crystals, and bound water.
• The amorphous phase calcium–silicate–hydrate
(C–S–H) is the ‘‘glue” that holds concrete together
which is nanosized
Why nanotechnology for concrete?
• Improves the materials’ bulk
• Ability to control nanoscale attack on
ASR (ALKALI SILICATE REACTION)
• To obtain thinner final products and faster setting time.
• Lowered levels of environmental attack
Techniques for analysis of concrete
• AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy)
• SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy)
(Focused Ion Beam)
AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy)
• very high-resolution type of scanning probe
Nano-engineering or nanomodification
• Novel superplasticizers
ADDITION OF NANOSIZED AND NANO STRUCTURED MATERIALS IN CONCRETE
nano-titanium oxide (nano-TiO2)
Use of Nanoreinforcements
Lack of vision to identify those aspects that could be
changed through its use.
Lack of skilled personnel.
Level of investment.
• Active research area.
• addition of nano particles have shown
significant improvement than conventional
• current challenges need to be solved before
the full potential of nanotechnology can be
realized in concrete applications