Brought to you by:
Social Media Statistics
• In 2009, Pepsi stopped their 23 year run of
advertising with the Superbowl to focus their efforts
on social media campaigns.
• 70% of bloggers are organically talking about
brands on their blogs. 34% post brand or product
• More than 700,000 small businesses have Pages on
•Facebook - Business pages & personal proﬁles
•Twitter - TweetChats, conversation, brief updates
•LinkedIn - Professional networking, group
•MySpace - Great for bands, music, movies
Increase your following
• Online marketing is about relationship building and
• Follow some of the major marketers and see what
they are doing that works
• Maintain a consistent image when building your
• While the quantity of your following plays a huge
part in how people perceive you, focus on making
each follower/friend/fan count
How do I build relationships?
• Take the time to connect with your followers and
friends on a more personal level. Acknowledge them
and avoid automation where you can.
• Don’t focus on selling. Focus on making friends and
building up loyalty amongst your followers. Your goal
is to gain trust and establish yourself as the “expert”.
• Be active in your online communities. If you’re not
talking, no one will know you exist, and they’ll be
• Video marketing sites include YouTube, Vimeo,
Blip.tv, and more. Use TubeMogul for mass distribution.
• Recommended video length is between 1-3 minutes.
• Stereotypical commercials aren’t making the cut
anymore. People want to see something new. Get
• Use an HD (high deﬁnition) camera. My personal
choice is Kodak Zi8. Or just hire a videographer to do it
Content for Video
• Short videos featuring tips or reviews (See
“Minute with Mandee” videos)
• Humorous videos - Julian Smith started
with “Kidnapped” series, now a YouTube star
• Include call to action in video if you want
people to subscribe to your YouTube channel
• Blogging increases brand awareness
• WordPress offers great plugins that allow
readers to share content on social media
• If you have a product to sell, give away
samples to bloggers
• Write articles for your blog that help
others. Provide value!
• I recommend 2-3 updates on each network daily.
• Interaction takes time. Set aside time each day,
even if it’s just 15 minutes.
• To avoid wasting time, set goals and a schedule
for your social media interaction.
• Hire a social media manager to do it for you if it’s
more cost efﬁcient to spend your time on other
• Twitter Power by Joel Comm
• UnMarketing by Scott Stratten
• Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
• Effortless Entrepreneur by Nick Friedman and
Pepper me with questions. Ready, set, go.
Visit me online: