Stage 2 - A Stage 2 is a set of questions with one common connection. The points system of a Stage 2 gives the team cracking the connection points based on when the Stage 2 is cracked, highest points on the first question and steadily diminishing thereafter. Consequently, the fundas connecting the answer to the Stage 2 will get less vague as the round progresses.
Points – 40/30/20.
Maximiser of 5 per slide applies after the theme has been revealed.
Answer in writing.
1. X's most recent project, George Gallo's My Mom's New Boyfriend, was shot in the fall of 2006 in Shreveport, Louisiana and is due to be released in 2008. The romantic comedy stars X opposite Antonio Banderas. X is joined by former co-star Tom Hanks's son, Colin, who plays her son in the film. In 2007 she played the role of Sarah, in In the Land of Women, co-starring Adam Brody, and won over critics and the public. X?
2. X has never officially accepted his nickname. The nickname came about in 1997, after X signed up with Reebok. The ad agency that came up with the nickname, had previously come up with 'The Viper' and 'The Assassin'. These 2 failed to capture people's imagination. Id X?
3. Z was the 'code name' for what became the Fourth Edition of the Plan 9 from Bell Labs operating system; it was designed for high-performance networks. One of its main purposes was to minimize overhead for multimedia operations and take advantage of high-speed networking and computer hardware. Some of the experimental changes in Z also became part Inferno operating system. What is Z?
4. In the comics, S is a baby found on X's doorstep, circa 1933. X adopts and raises him as his son, or, as he puts it "boy-kid". Initially S's speech consisted entirely of the sound "glop". As the years went on, S apparently aged enough to speak normally, and could throw punches if he had to; however, his appearance remained that of a crawling baby. Id S.
5. Id her
6. C is a scientific medical journal published by the American College of C Physicians on the subject of C diseases and related issues--pulmonology, cardiology, thoracic surgery, transplantation, breathing, airway disease, emergency medicine, etc. Current impact factor is 4.008. The journal has a circulation of some 21.000 copies. Editor in chief is Richard S. Irwin. Id C?
7. L was a Screen Gems television series about L Burke, a fictional live-in maid. The series dramatizes her relationships with her employers, friends, and neighbors. The show was broadcast from 1961 to 1966. It aired on NBC for its first four seasons, in black and white for the first, and in color for the next three, and then in color on CBS for its final season. The title character was portrayed by Shirley Booth. L was based on a popular single panel comic strip by cartoonist Ted Key that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post. Id L?
“ Urak” is the local, undistilled variety of which famous indigenous liquor?
9. It was launched in France, in November 2002, by Tawfik Mathlouthi, as a means of aiding Palestinians by tapping into demand for alternative products in European countries. He had been inspired by a popular Iranian soft drink, Zam Zam ____, which was already successful in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, and in fact only decided to launch his own brand when he was unable to agree on terms for a distribution contract with Zam Zam. What?
The Stage 2 is NUTS.
Sets of 4-4-4-4-4.
No negatives, one guess per set.
Answer in writing.
Two out of three ain’t bad…
Sets of 3/3/3/4
Negative 10 throughout
Really Interesting and non exhaustive
The Connect is - Shopping Malls in Bangalore
No sets, +40 for a correct answer. The slides are arranged in order, and the connect is exhaustive.
Sets of 2.
Answer in writing.
1. Id the place marked
2. X Y was founded in 1869 by German Jewish immigrant X. The company made a name for itself pioneering the use of commercial paper for entrepreneurs and was invited to join the New York Stock Exchange in 1896. It was during this time that X's son-in-law Y joined the firm which prompted the name change to X Y. In the early 20th Century, X Ywas a major player in establishing the Initial Public Offering market. It managed one of the largest IPO's to date, that of Sears, Roebuck and Company in 1906. It also became one of the first companies to heavily recruit those with MBA degrees from leading Business Schools, a practice that still continues today.
3. "_____ __ _____" was infamously beaten to the number one spot on the UK Singles Chart by the novelty song "Axel F" by the Crazy Frog, instead peaking at number two for a week, although it did stay in the Top 75 for sixteen non-consecutive weeks. However, it became Y's first UK Download #1, and also became Y's first and biggest single to chart in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #8, making it arguably Y's most successful single. Id song and Y.
Speed Of Sound, Coldplay
4. "_____ ___" is a song by Brit pop band The Verve and is featured on their third album, Urban Hymns. It was released 24 November 1997 as the third single from the album, charting at #7 in the UK Singles Chart (see 1997 in British music). The song was also the band's second, and so far last Top 20 hit in the USA. The track featured prominently in the prom scene at the final climax of the 2004 film The Girl Next Door. Anastacia "borrowed" the melody and hook of this song for her hit "Cowboys & Kisses" in 2001, but Richard Ashcroft received no credit for it. U2 frontman Bono recognized "_____ ___" as one of six songs that he wished he had written from the last 20 years of music.
5. X is a 24 hour Kannada language television channel that was launched on 26 September 2007. The channel is owned by X Media Private Limited which is managed by Anitha Kumaraswamy, wife of the ex-chief minister of Karnataka, H D Kumaraswamy. Id X?
6. On April Fools day 2008, The Indian Express carried an article. It said that the ICL plans to hold a cricket match between Brian Lara XI and Inzamam-Ul-Haq XI on April 17th. The article also mentioned that the match tickets would be free and the spectators can meet their favourite stars before the match and can even shake a leg with them. The article also included viewer comments saying that it will be the biggest sporting success in the country. It says this match was organized, because the IPL opening is happening in Bangalore. The question is where was the ‘match’ going to take place?
7. X is a forthcoming Tamil feature film currently being directed by K. S. Ravikumar, who with X , pairs up with Kamal Haasan for the fourth time. Haasan acts in ten different roles, breaking the record for an actor's portrayal of the most different characters whilst Asin Thottumkal in a dual role and Mallika Sherawat also play lead roles in the film. The film, which has been under production since mid-2005, has Y as the music composer and Oscar Ravichandran as the main producer. Id X and Y (quizzer’s favourite)
X – Dasavatharam Y – Himesh Reshammaiya
"Rajneesh" Chandra Mohan Jain greeting his followers from one of his 90+ Rolls-Royce cars