(WE) Software Engineers make (really) terrible
Design is not ivory tower
we don’t work
in a vacuum. We
people. We are
not the fine
artists we are
with.” – Dieter
Good design is original! Great design is copied!!
Tags and Tabs
Process is changing, so should design methods
Traditional Web Development Process, circa 2000-2007
Agile Web Development Process
Instinct Vs. Data?
• Use Data to know
– Customer behavior
– Decide among options
• Use instincts to decide
– product quality
– Long-term impact
Design management scorecard
Design is based on concepts developed by others.
Design conceives and develops products, packaging, interfaces, services, or messages.
We work to unify design with other design groups in your organization
We conceive customer experiences and work with project teams to make the experiences a reality
We use design / Design Thinking to participate in developing new markets and business strategies
• Design Can Drive Exceptional Returns for Shareholders,
• Agile Web Development That Works, http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/agile/
• Goodbye, Google, http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/03/20/goodbye-google.html
• What is Windows Aero?, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-windows-aero
• How and When Do You Make Decisions,
• Balancing Design Instinct + Judgment vs. A/B Testing for design changes,
• Cover slide pic: http://www.a-speakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Love-or-Business-graphic-3.jpg
• Why We Crave the Last Drop
• What is the real value of design,
• Good design is good business, http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/gooddesign/
• Design the new business, http://www.designthenewbusiness.com/
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.