OLD HABITS DIE HARD: CHANGE
MANAGEMENT IN SOCIAL MEDIA
AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR
USERS WITH MOTOR
Dr. Makayla Lewis
PostDoc @ Royal Holloway, University of London (Information
Web Accessibility London (a11yLDN) Organiser
WHO AM I?
• PhD in Human-Computer Interaction (Cerebral Palsy, Online
Social Networks and Change) - Sept 2012
• PostDoc on Cyber Security Cartographies (CySeCa) Project –
Since Nov 2012
• Essentially… HCI User Research who hearts Visual
Images have been removed please view PhD Thesis for personal
Images have been removed please view PhD Thesis for CP
OSN CHANGE & CP
Frequent and abrupt OSN changes i.e. UI and task structure
• Confusion, task relearning, personal & use confidence,
introduction of poor UI features and or removal of accessible
• OSN use and independence is reduced by change
• Support individuals are often required to resolve problems or
• This is often felt inappropriate by adult with CP.
Facebook 431 Blog Comments
and 13,323 Likes
Facebook 427,925 Tweets
• Overview of users reactions to change within the user interface,
this was done by investigating tweets or comments during peaks.
• In-depth look at users reactions to change over a 6-month period
using an event-sampling method where the first 100 comments
mentioning the change on a given day were collected & analysed.
#NewTwitter Sentiment Analysis #NewTwitter Change Acceptance
Images have been removed please view PhD Thesis for
“Facebook are never thinking about
us users. We don’t need this feature, I
don’t know why they’ve done this.
Why have I got it but my friends don’t.
F*** this how do I opt-out?”
Similar response from Twitter users with CP.
• Flickr – Excellent (Detected: Step 3 Persuade (Overlap) and Step 4
(Refreeze i.e. Active Support) and 5 (Consultation)
• Twitter – Good (Detected: Step 1 Before (Limited Knowledge), Step 2
Unfreeze (Short Roll Out) and 3 (Overlap))
• Twitter – Not So Good (Slowly Returning To Old Habits (#TwitterLayout
Detected: Step 2 Unfreeze (Short Roll Out) and 3 (Overlap))
• Excellent (Early 2014 – Detected: Step 1 and 2)
• Good (April 2014 – Returning To Old Habits: No Steps 1, 2 or 3)
AND Facebook, Facebook, Facebook… Just Don’t Give A Monkey Uncle.
PLEASE CONSIDER MOTOR IMPAIRED
USERS WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR
OSN CHANGE ISN’T THE BE ALL AND END ALL THIS METHOD
HAS RECENTLY BEEN INTRODUCED WITHIN THE CITIZEN
SCIENCE SPACE (ZOONIVERSE)