1. senatePresent by: Nur Shuhada Kadir 1070855 Nur Afiqah Norman 1070856 Nur Syuhada Matwi 1070852 Ma Kalthum Ishak 1070850
2. Dewan Negara Type : Upper house President of the Dewan NegaraAbdulHamid Pawanteh, : Barisan Nasional -UMNOsince July 7, 2003 Members : 70 Senators Political groups : Barisan NasionalPakatan Rakyat Meeting place : Malaysian Houses ofParliament, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Web site : http://www.parlimen.gov.my/
3. Membership. "rendered distinguished public service or haveachieved distinction in the professions,commerce, industry, agriculture, culturalactivities or social service or are representativeof racial minorities or are capable ofrepresenting the interests of aborigines. Each of the 13 state legislative assemblieschooses 2 Senators. The term of office is 3 years and Senators canonly be re-elected once.
4. Continue… The King appoints two Senators for theFederal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, and onerespectively for the Federal Territories ofLabuan and Putrajaya on the advice of thePrime Minister. Another 40 Senators are appointed by theKing, also on the Prime Ministers advice.
5. What are the qualification? a candidate must be a Malaysian citizenresiding in the Federation. must not owe allegiance to any foreignstate. must not have received a prison sentenceof one year or longer. must not have been fined RM2,000 ormore.
6. Continue.. Must not be a holders of a full timeprofit-making position in the publicservice. no requirement to belong to a politicalparty.
7. Appointment of senators (art 45) Parliament is permitted to increase thenumber of Senators to three per state. reduce the number of appointed Senators,or abolish the post of appointed Senator. Members of the Senate are not affected byelections of the Dewan Rakyat, andcontinue to hold office despite the DewanRakyats dissolution for an election.
8. Functions??? lesser power and authority than the Dewan Rakyat. serve the interest of the States, minorities andsectoral groups. has no power to dismiss the government on a voteof no confidence. Bills involving taxation and expenditure cannot bebrought to the Dewan Negara. can delay and has no power to defeat bills passedby the Dewan RakyatROLE AND FUNCTION
9. Constitutional role???has equal power with the Dewan Rakyat to amendthe constitution. The Legislative function of making and revisinglaws. The ‘federal function’ of representing the 13States of the Federation and the federalterritories. The sectoral representative function of enablingexperienced and talented persons, members ofminorities and orang asli to sit in Parliamentwithout going through the electoral process. The ‘deliberative’ function of examininggovernment policy and keeping the government incheck.
10. Legislative function. Power to initiate the legislation: except forfinancial and fiscal matters. Article 68: its assent is necessary for thepassage legislation in Parliament. but, this article cannot be applied to thoseconstitutional amendments that require a two-thirds majority in both Houses of Parliament. can revise, improve or delay Dewan Rakyat Bills. To act as chamber of second thought to allow formore reflection than would otherwise be possiblein the heat of party political debate in the DewanRakyat.
11. Representing the state. two members had been appointed ineach state. representing the States and protectingtheir rights. but, ‘State Senators’ do not always voteand speak as ‘instructed delegates’ of theStates.
12. Representation to special groups Article 45(1): by being appointed Senators,many professional can contribute in thelegislative process.
13. Deliberative function. check and limit the power of theGovernment. achieved through ‘question time’ inwhich Ministers must supplyinformation, answer questions, justifypolicies.
14. President PresidentThe President of The Senate must be a Member Of theSenate.Role of the President include : to preside over the sittings of the Senate; to be responsible for the observance of the rules in theSenate; to ensure the relevancy of the points raised during the Debate to interpret the Standing Orders in case of disputes and thedecision is final Any person who wants to assume the post of the President ofthe Senate must not be a member of any State LegislativeAssembly.The present President of the Senate is YB Tan Sri.Dato Seri Dr. Abdul Hamid Pawanteh
15. Deputy President The Deputy Speaker or Timbalan Yangdi-Pertua Dewan Negara assists theSpeaker of the Dewan Negara and chairsproceedings in the absence of theSpeaker. YB Senator Dato Ir. Wong FoonMeng 07.06.2004 - Present