6. Push the fold to the inside so that
a parallelogram is formed. You have
completed one of the units for the
octagon star. Now make 7 more
7 What are the measures of each
angle of the parallelogram? Explain
how you know.
1. Pick up 2 different coloured
units. Insert the short side of one
unit between the long folded edges
of the other unit.
2. Hook the parallelograms
together by tucking in the tails.
3. Connecting the parallelograms
together until you have formed and
4. Slide the pieces of the octagon
together until an 8-pointed star is
formed. If your units do not slide
easily, then check to see that when
you tucked in the last two tails,
both were not locked over the
centre piece but folded over the
EXPLORING YOUR MODEL
1. Without measuring , determine the measure
of each angle in the pentagon of your octagon
2. Determine the measure of each of the angles
of the quadrilaterals in the inside octagon. What
kind of quad. do you see?
3. Describe the rotational and reflective
symmetries of the octagon ring and the octagon
star. Are they the same or different?
Describe the relationship between the parm. in
the completed octagon star and the star-building