What’s driving demand around the globe asia - darren burtonPresentation Transcript
Building the Macadamia Market in Asia Darren Burton General Manager Agrimac Macadamias
World Macadamia Usage 14000 12000 10000 8000Mt ofKernel 6000 4000 2000 0 USA Asia Europe & Mid Australia East
World Macadamia UsageUSA Asia Europe & Mid East Australia 13% 42% 23% 22%
3000 2500 2000Mt ofKernel 1500equiv 1000 500 0
• Largest market in Asia for kernel• Mature market with high level of consumer awareness• Consistently imports approx 2,500 per year - 8% of world pdn.• Confectionary sector is the largest user (70%) followed by snack• Japanese companies looking to China for growth opportunties• Customers are demanding but loyal• Very concerned about agro-chemical residues.• Health and Beauty is a key driver for our target market
• Australian industry continues to invest in a significant consumer communications and promotions program in Japan.• This program is squarely focused on promotion the health and beauty benefits of Macadamias
• Predominantly pre-cracked NIS market at present.• High income consumers are looking for the best quality product.• We all must contribute to the development of the china market to ensure china remains a net importer of macadamias.
• Market has grown from 100Mt to almost 500Mt in 5 years• Usage is mixed of snack, Bakery, ice cream, confectionary and home cooking• Many small to medium users• No really large users yet
• Consumption of approx 150-200Mt per year• This has shown little growth over the last 20 years but moreinterest in macs in the last 2 years•This market should be much larger than it is.•Duty is 30% for Raw and 45% for Roasted is limiting growth.•Main use is confectionary but significant market for raw androasted macs sold in both markets and supermarkets.•Nuts generally are seen as healthy especially walnuts andalmonds.
Country Pop. Income Mac Consumption (million) PerCapita Usage Per Head USD 2012 grams per yrAustralia 23 37,500 4000 174 USA 320 45,800 13000 41Germany 82 34,200 2500 30Singapore 5 49,700 150 30 Japan 127 33,600 2,500 20 Taiwan 24 30,100 450 19 Korea 49 24,800 250 5Malaysia 28 13,300 150 5Thailand 70 7,900 150 2 China 1,300 7,500 2,500 2 India 1,500 3,700 10 0.01
What is the Asia Market Demanding?1. Consistency of quality and safety2. Consistency of supply3. Much more information and education about the health and beauty benefits of Macadamias. Most of the growth in world consumption of macadamias will come from Asia in the next 10 years.