This presentation focuses on how to seek, recruit and retain good talent for your software development team. It also examines external human resource factors such as the job market, the competition
This presentation focuses on how to seek, recruit and retain good talent for your software development team. It also examines external human resource factors such as the job market, the competition and software trends.
3. JAKE HIRSCH-ALLEN @jakehirschallenPARTNERFunctional Imperative @func_iwww.functionalimperative.comDIRECTOR, BDOODA Technologies @oodatechwww.ooda.caSPMIncentives for Global Health @HealthImpactwww.healthimpactfund.org
5. INDEED.COMJob Trends
6. "Software Is EatingThe World” Marc Andreessen, Aug 2011Buy A 10x Software Developer: ItsThe Best Investment You CanMake… Venkatesh Rao, April 2016
8. TORONTO IS #8Top 20 Startup EcosystemsStartup Genome Report 2012
20. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTSJr. Ruby on Rails Developer:
21. TechnicalQuestionsSome examples
22. WHITEBOARD: FIZZ BUZZWrite a program that prints the numbers from 1 to 100.But for multiples of three print “fizz” instead of the numberand for the multiples of five print “buzz”. For numberswhich are multiples of both three and five print “fizzbuzz”.WHY CANT PROGRAMMERS.. PROGRAM?http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/02/why-cant-programmersprogram.htmlFIZZ BUZZ TESThttp://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FizzBuzzTest
23. INTERVIEWING SENIORDEVELOPERSMore emphasis on PortfolioConversational approachSolve Architecture problemsSoft skills more important
24. WHITEBOARD: PARKING LOTModel the software system that would be used to operateand manage a parking lot that is used for both public andprivate parking. Tickets can be purchased and rates canchange…Remember, Conversation:“Why are you doing it this way?”“Have you considered this?”“What if X happens?”
25. WHITEBOARD: CHATModel the architecture to build out facebook chat. Whatopen source technologies would you leverage?Remember, Conversation:“Why are you doing it this way?”“Have you considered this?”“What if X happens?”
26. Q:”What if we don’t have anyonetechnical on the team toconduct tech interviews?"Find some...
27. ReferenceChecksAre old school
28. CULTURE MORE THAN JUSTA FOOSBALL TABLE
29. DEVELOPERS ARECREATIVEArtists dont work 9 to 5
30. DEVELOPERS ASPRODUCT DRIVERSesp. when the company IS theproduct
31. LUNCH lunchTOGETHER together
32. REMOTETALENTNO, NOT“OFFSHORING”
33. "Why We (Still) "Stop whiningBelieve in Working and start hiringRemotely" remote workers"
34. WHY?①  Dont want to relocate②  Need to relocate: "My spouse is going to med school"③  Productivity: "most of our remote developers work longer hours than our in-office devs."④  Collaborative workspaces⑤  Forces better communication⑥  Not widely adopted (yet)
38. CONCLUSION①  High Demand: YYZ losing talent to SFO②  Remote talent & distributed teams => Future!③  Startups: seek generalist, application developers④  Established companies: seek both generalists & specialists⑤  Technical interviews are very important⑥  Go where the talent is⑦  Culture is important to attract and retain talent⑧  Give vesting equity to your founding team