Senior Meeting Brought to you by Career Services What is the next step?
CAREER SERVICES PARTNERS
CAREER SERVICES PARTNERS
Career Service Staff
- Jeff Kangas, Assistant Director
- Tina Giachino, Mgr of Job Development
- Gina Goudge, Coord. of Career Services Programs
- Matt McCormick, Programmer Analyst
- Julie Way, Career Advisor
- Rita Smith, Staff Assistant
- Laura Givens, Office Assistant
- Renae DesRochers, Office Assistant
- Brandon Benedict, I.T. Intern
Stick Around for the Raffle Hire
- University and corporate gifts
- Gift certificates from local merchants
- A month parking pass for the President’s Lot
What’s going on with the economy?
- Confidence in the economy is weak
- Employers reluctant to commit to new hires, rent space and build inventory
- Exports fell off sharply in June
- The country of Greece bankruptcy situation
- Components of growth are present
- Banks have a lot of money to loan
- Companies have a lot of money in reserves
- Consumers are getting their budgets in order
- When businesses feel secure about the economy, the upswing could be swift.
- In a matter of months, the fear and uncertainty will fade and stronger growth will reemerge.
- Information taken from “The Kiplinger Letter” , Vol. 87, No. 34,
Which Industries are hiring?
Small vs. Large Employers
Skills and Experiences in Demand?
- Communication Skills (oral & written)
- Technical, Liberal Arts and Business
- Flexibility – slide from one job to another
- Problem Solving/Analytical Skills
- Co-op/Internship Experience
- HR departments are in shambles
- Using software resume evaluation systems –keyword
- Will be looking at experienced people
- Reduction in travel to campuses
- Conducting very targeted searches
- Using virtual methods to conduct interviews
10 Best Jobs of the Future
- Human/Robot Interaction Specialist
According to Popular Science (Sept 2010 Edition)
- Animal-Migration Engineer
Don’t Lose Your Head!
Develop Your Career Plan!
What are your options?
- Professional position with an employer
- Continue to take under graduate courses
Soul Searching – What are you looking for in a job?
- What are my skills and how can they be used?
Job Hunting is hard work!
- Equivalent to 5 credit course
- Creating resumes and cover letters
- Researching companies and applying for jobs
- Monitor job postings (NACElink and other search engines)
- Attend Informational Meetings
- Interview on campus and plant trips
- Networking with family, friends and other sources
Personal Networking System
- Linkedin, Facebook, Plaxo and others
Social Networking Facebook, MySpace, Linkedin, Google Would you want your grandmother to see these sites???????
Other Research Websites
- Manta.com (small business research)
- Weddle's Assoc. Directory
- Chronicle for Higher Education
- Professional organizations/journals
- Campus Informational Meeting
2010 Fall Career Fair
- Student Development Complex
- Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity
Networking with Alumni
- Here to talk to you about Michigan Tech Alumni Relations
- and how networking with Michigan Tech alums can be a
- valuable resource in your job search.
Explore Your Network
- Michigan Tech Alumni Association
- Get Connected - mtu.edu/alumni
- Over 68,000 alumni in over 100 countries
- HuskyLink Online Directory
- Chapters / Husky on the Move
- "Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and
- a push in the right direction."
- Over 200 Alumni Mentors waiting to connect
- Search the Mentor Directory or contact
- [email_address] to find your mentor
The Job Offer
- Multiple offers not multiple acceptances
- Report your offers through Banweb
The Reject Letter
- Don’t tell yourself “NO” !
Be Prepared to Battle Create your own career plan
Career Plan Check List
Career Services Your helping hands! Location – The Meese Center Office hours: Mon – Fri 8 am – 5 pm For an appointment call 487-2313 Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.career.mtu.edu
It is Raffle Time! Good luck