15 minutes to discuss & chart Full group report out
Staff WellnessStaff Wellness
MCA ConferenceMCA Conference
Missoula, MTMissoula, MT
Curt Swenson & Winnie Ore,Curt Swenson & Winnie Ore,
Montana Dept. of CorrectionsMontana Dept. of Corrections
Training BureauTraining Bureau
• Good NewsGood News
– No direct correlation between profession andNo direct correlation between profession and
suicide, divorce, chemical dependency, etc.suicide, divorce, chemical dependency, etc.
• Bad NewsBad News
– There is a direct relationship betweenThere is a direct relationship between
STRESSSTRESS and high-risk behaviors.and high-risk behaviors.
How Do We Cope with Stress?How Do We Cope with Stress?
• What about you?What about you?
Implications of StressImplications of Stress
• Sick Leave Abuse (20%)Sick Leave Abuse (20%)
• Relationship IssuesRelationship Issues
• Chemical AbuseChemical Abuse
Causes of Pre-Mature Death in the U.S.
It’s not the job that puts us atIt’s not the job that puts us at
risk, it’s therisk, it’s the stress!!stress!! And moreAnd more
importantly,importantly, HOW WE DEALHOW WE DEAL
WITH IT!!!WITH IT!!!
• Feel positive and enthusiastic about yourFeel positive and enthusiastic about your
self and lifeself and life
• Emotionally well personEmotionally well person
• Maintain satisfying relationships withMaintain satisfying relationships with
• Preparing for workPreparing for work
• Gain personal satisfactionGain personal satisfaction
• Related to your attitude about workRelated to your attitude about work
Small group exercise…Small group exercise…
• 15 minutes to discuss and chart the15 minutes to discuss and chart the
following question.following question.
– Why do you do what you do?Why do you do what you do?
• Encourage creativity through stimulatingEncourage creativity through stimulating
mental activitiesmental activities
• Use the intellectual and cultural activitiesUse the intellectual and cultural activities
within your communitywithin your community
• Involves seeking meaning and purpose inInvolves seeking meaning and purpose in
human existencehuman existence
• Develop a strong sense of personalDevelop a strong sense of personal
values and ethicsvalues and ethics
I wish you always:
Air to breath,
Fire to warm you,
Water to drink and
The earth to live in.
I hope you enjoyed it and have a great day !I hope you enjoyed it and have a great day !
• Personal contributions for the greater goodPersonal contributions for the greater good
• Interdependence with others and natureInterdependence with others and nature
• Pursuit of harmony with familyPursuit of harmony with family