On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Drowning in Loans?
Get on board a scholarSHIP!
Director of Development
Staying Afloat 101
• Lesson One:
– One should not depend on financial aid alone.
• Educational funding options can include:
– Loans (Federal and Private)
– Work study (can qualify through your FAFSA)
– Individual Contribution
Are you ready to jump aboard MSCSA’s
Lesson Two: Scholarship Trivia
Will YOU sink or swim?
– A check for college that you don’t have to pay back!
– A Reward for Excellence!
– A Scholarship Committee Investing in your Future!
– To submit an application you must pay.
– You should be extremely discouraged if you don’t receive every
scholarship you apply for.
– You should lie to fit the criteria because you will have a better
chance at receiving it.
ScholarSHIP Self Assessment:
Activities/ Clubs you are involved in on your campus and community
Occupation you would like to enter
Subject areas you excel at/favorites
Your positive qualities and strengths
People who could write letters of recommendation
People who could proof your application
You don’t need a 4.0 to get aboard scholarSHIP!
Lesson Five: Saved by a scholarSHIP!
• “This scholarship is the difference between me graduating
and not attending school next semester”
• “Receiving an MSCSA scholarship really helped my husband
and I get by when things were tight trying to pay tuition
• “I am honored to have received such a wonderful reward”
• “It is a real blessing and honor to receive this
scholarship, when I got the news, I got goose bumps”
• “I am so relieved because it will allow me to complete the
courses I need to take next Spring”
Essentials of the ScholarSHIP World
Lesson Seven: ScholarSHIP Week
• Date: March 31 – April 4
• Plan of Action
– At least one day during Scholarship Week, support and promote scholarships
– Be creative!
– Utilize your Scholarship Week Packet!
– Class Raps
– Social Media (share MSCSA’s posts)
– The campus that mails back their “Scholarship Interest Sheets” with the most
names overall wins an award!
– The campus that emails a picture and displays the most creative way to
market scholarship week using “Drowning in Loans? Get on board a
scholarSHIP!” theme, wins an award!
Finals: ScholarSHIP Week
Will Your Senate Sink or Swim?
• Welcome Letter
• Table Tents
• Scholarship Guides
• SFM Foundation and
Scholarship for the Blind
• Scholarship Interest Sheets
What will you do to get aboard?