Copyright faqs


Published on

Published in: Education, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Copyright faqs

  1. 1. Copyright: FAQs for teachers of LanguagesThis information has been compiled by the Languages Unit, NSW Curriculum and Learning Innovation Centre (2011).Where can I find current information about copyright?Your school’s teacher librarian has a handbook for school libraries which contains information on copyright.Alternately, you can visit the websites listed on p.4 of this handout.What does ‘flexible dealings exception’ mean?The Copyright Amendment Act 2006 introduced an important new exception for Australian schools which allowsAustralian teachers to use copyright materials for free, in narrow circumstances for the purposes of educationalinstruction (section 200AB of the Copyright Act).Section 200AB is different to other exceptions in the Copyright Act because it does not specify exactly whichcopyright uses will and wont be permitted. Instead, it sets out a number of rules which teachers must use todecide whether a particular use of copyright material will be allowed. See the table below: © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 1
  2. 2. How much can I copy from a literary work?Literary works can include novels, textbooks, newspaper articles, magazine articles, journals, poems, song lyrics,timetables, technical manuals, instruction manuals or anthologies.The Statutory Text and Artistic Licence (also known as ‘Part VB’ of the Copyright Act) allows educational institutionsto make the following multiple copies:  for books, you may make unlimited copies of up to 10%, or one chapter (whichever is greater)  for newspapers and magazines, you may copy one article in full (or more than one article if the subject matter is the same, e.g. front page and editorial). You may also copy an advertisement, or a letter to the editor.If the work is no longer in print and cannot be obtained at a reasonable price within a reasonable time limit(generally six months for textbooks and books, and 30 days for other materials in hardcopy), you may copy thewhole work. If the work is in digital format, ‘reasonable time’ may be shorter. If you have any questions, contactthe National Copyright Unit.How many separate works can I reproduce from an anthology (e.g. prescribed short stories for the Extensioncourse)?An anthology is a collection of works, for example a book of short stories. You can copy no more than 15 pagesfrom a book of anthology. If a work in an anthology is separately published but is no longer available for purchasein a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price, then the entire work in that anthology may be copied even ifthe entire work is more than 15 pages.How much can I download from a website to give to my students (e.g. a reading passage)?You can copy (download) up to 10% of a website. It can be tricky determining how much 10% of a website is so ifyou are unsure, only copy what you need for educational purposes.Can I modify text from a book/website/magazine/newspaper to make the language more accessible to mystudents?Yes, you can modify texts for your students under the statutory texts and artistic works licence (Part VB).Can schools hire commercial videos and/or DVDs?The Australian Video Rental Retailers Association (AVRRA) has stated that most video/DVD rental shops will acceptthe membership of a school and will allow schools to hire videos and/or DVDs for educational purposes. Theschool must identify itself in joining the rental outlet. This provision extends to screening films as part of the courseof education in class.Can I record a TV program and show it to my students?The Part VA Screenrights licence for schools permits schools to copy radio and television programs off-air foreducational purposes. The Screenrights licence also allows schools to copy previously broadcast free-to-airprograms available on the broadcaster’s website. A school is permitted to make a copy for another school if thatschool requests a copy. However, loaning copies to other schools is not permitted.Is it permissible to make a back-up copy of a CD-ROM which accompanies a textbook then loan out the copy andretain the original in case of damage?Making back-up copies to retain the original in case of damage is not permitted. If you wish to do this, you willneed to get permission from the publisher. This will involve contacting the publisher directly and asking them forpermission in writing to make a back-up copy. In some cases, permission may have already been granted and itmay be clearly stated in the paper cover of the CD-ROM along the lines of “Permission is granted for theeducational institution to make [for example] a back-up copy, or additional copies for classroom use”.Where permission has not been obtained from the publisher to make a backup copy, teachers are only permittedto copy 10% of the CD-ROM where required for educational purposes. © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 2
  3. 3. How much of CD-ROM accompanying a textbook can I copy for educational purposes?You can copy 10% or one chapter from a CD-ROM for educational purposes. This is permitted under the Part VBlicense. This includes making print copies to give to students and making a copy to put up on the school intranet orlearning management system. Where a copy is put on the school intranet or learning management system, amandatory notice must accompany that work. This notice can be obtained from the Smartcopying website. Apractical way of managing a notice requirement is to have the notice flash on the screen as the student or teacherlog onto the system.What does the NEALS logo mean?The National Education Access Licence for Schools (NEALS) is a cooperative agreement between the educationdepartments of the states and territories to share with each other certain publications produced for and by schools,free of charge. The NEALS license will only apply to text and artistic works. It does not apply to audio and videomaterials. NEALS does not apply to TAFE institutes.Can I include images in my IWB activities, PowerPoint presentations, etc.?Images can be copied for IWB activities and PPT presentations under the Part VB licence. Where the image is clipart, it may be copied for educational use depending on the terms of the licence. For example, Microsoft clip art canbe copied and communicated by users subject to the Microsoft licence agreement. Where clip art has beensourced online from a website, it is a good idea to check the terms and conditions of that website to see whetherthe clip art can be used for free for educational purposes. Teachers should use images that are licensed foreducational use where possible. For example, Creative Commons materials can be used for free by teachers: I include quotes and extracts from a publication in my teaching materials?Yes, and whenever possible you should attribute the author.Can I charge a fee if I compile a course pack for my students?You may only charge a cost-recovery fee.What should I tell my students when they create a presentation?Students can use other people’s materials under fair dealings. This is a special exception in the Copyright Act whichallows students to use other people’s materials without their permission for their class and homework activities.Students should include bibliographies (with websites, etc.) in all their work. With images, students should make anappropriate citation of the source, for example: Image from Travelblog © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 3
  4. 4. Who owns the copyright to photographs taken as part of class work?The Department of Education and Communities (DEC) owns the copyright to photographs taken by DEC teachers inthe course of their employment. Students own the copyright to photographs they take.Can I take photographs of my students?Check with your Department’s or Association’s policy on photographing students. Generally, you will need thewritten permission of the student (and parent, if the students is under eighteen) to publish their photograph in aschool or Departmental publication.I want to include some resources for students on the school intranet. What do I need to know?  Visit the Smart Copying website:  All Right To Copy is an audio visual interactive resource for students on copyright:  “Students and Copyright” is an information sheet useful for teachers: it okay to provide a link?Linking is a great way of managing copyright. Teachers should link to material where possible. This is becauselinking is not a copyright activity but rather an address to the material located on another website.Can I use YouTube videos in class?Teachers can stream YouTube videos in class under Section 28. Teachers may copy YouTube videos in limitedcircumstances under the flexible dealings exception. Teachers should always link to YouTube videos where possible.Where can I find comprehensive information on copyright?The National Copyright Unit has put together a comprehensive E-learning Copyright Compliance manual forteachers using digital content. This manual can be accessed at: final thoughts:The Smartcopying website was created and is hosted by the National Copyright Unit to provide practical advice toall Australian schools and TAFE institutions. The site contains National Copyright Guidelines, practical informationsheets and FAQs on topics like using YouTube, podcasts, format shifting, interactive audio visual resources forteaching copyright in the classroom and answers to all your copyright questions: copyright tips 1. Linking – Teachers should always provide a link to the original website by copying and pasting the URL. 2. Embedding – Teachers should always use this method for displaying online films (e.g. YouTube films). Copy and paste the HTML code of the film (shows a small screen of the film on your website). 3. Material created by you or the DEC – Departmental teachers can use material created by you or the DEC, as the DEC owns copyright of this material (Note: You must label the material accordingly). 4. ‘Free for education’ material – Teachers should use free materials. These are materials where the copyright owner has already given permission for the material to be used (Note: Check the attributions for what you are permitted/not permitted to do with the material and you must use and label the material accordingly). © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 4
  5. 5. Where can I find ‘free for education’ material?The most common source of ‘free for education’ material is Creative Commons (CC): p.6 of this handout for a summary of the different types of CC licences.Remember!‘Free’ does not mean you don’t have to pay to use that material. It just means that you are copying the materialunder the Part VB licence.For example, if you copy 10% of a textbook, under CAL (Copyright Agency Limited) you will still pay the writer ofthe book for the portion copied.In 2007 schools and TAFE nationally paid over $50 million in licence fees to CAL! Consider using ‘free foreducation’ material where possible. © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 5
  6. 6. Creative Commons licence symbolsCreative Commons licensed material can be identified by the use of one of the following symbols. Usually a noticewith the words “Some Rights Reserved” will appear with one or more of these symbols. More information aboutthe symbols used in Creative Commons licences is available at Licence Symbol Type of use You can Attribution Required Attribution Commercial Copy and enhance (adapt or Yes (by) and non- modify), redistribute (publish, commercial display, exhibit, publicly perform or communicate e.g. by email or by placing on a website) and license to others on any terms. Attribution Commercial Copy, enhance and redistribute Yes Share Alike and non- but you must make the new (by-sa) commercial work available on same licence terms as original. Attribution Commercial Copy but not enhance. Yes No Derivatives and non- Redistribute only in original (by-nd) commercial form. Attribution Non- Copy, enhance and redistribute. Yes Non-commercial commercial License to others on any terms. (by-nc) Only Attribution Non- Copy, enhance and redistribute Yes Non-commercial commercial but you must make the new Share Alike only work available on same licence (by-nc-sa) terms as original Attribution Non- Copy but not enhance. Yes Non-commercial commercial Redistribute only in original No Derivatives only form. (by-nc-nd) © State of New South Wales through the NSW Department of Education and Communities, 2011 6