Asymmetric Social Media Communications
by MH Group Comunications on Oct 17, 2009
- 2,085 views
MH Group Communications published a new white paper on a profound shift we have observed in the social media environment – a shift that we believe will compel companies to get off of the fence and ...
MH Group Communications published a new white paper on a profound shift we have observed in the social media environment – a shift that we believe will compel companies to get off of the fence and engage social media with a comprehensive strategy.
We have labeled this new dynamic “asymmetric communications,” because we believe that it completely upends the traditional online communications model and allows individuals outside the company to use the company’s own web presence as a platform to broadcast their own views to the world, with or without the company’s approval.
A short summary of what you will find in the white paper:
Until now, many companies have ignored social media without suffering obvious consequences. No more. We have entered the era of asymmetric social media, and there isn’t a place on the web where your company can escape it.
Your online media coverage and advertising, your search engine results, and even your company’s own website are about to be overtaken by social media in a way you cannot stop, slow down, or control.
The Old Paradigm – “Opt-In” Social Media
* Social media platforms cross -communicated only manually and with some effort and difficulty.
* Brands can ignore social media, or dabbling in a few areas of social media with a piecemeal strategy.
* To see social media content you had to participate in social media platforms Even if some of your customers were talking about your company on social media platforms
The New Paradigm – Asymmetric Social Media
* Audiences have social media pushed to them automatically everywhere they go online. Your online media coverage and advertising, your search engine results, and even your company’s own website, are about to be overtaken by social media in a way, you cannot stop, slow down, or control.
* In every place that your brand is on the web, social media will there as well providing feedback and offering praise and criticism, and seeking a response.
The three dynamics driving the era of asymmetric social media are:
* Integration: Content flows easily across different social media platforms
* Aggregation: Multi-platform content is consolidated online for easy consumption
* Annexation: New tools allow un-controlled social media communication ON YOUR COMPANY WEBSITE.
What Companies Can Do To Prepare
Your company’s only hope of survival is to build a community of active online supporters who will lend credibility and authenticity to your brand on the Web, and defend your brand against negative attacks.
We hope that this paper will be helpful to executives who are trying to convince their superiors of the need to embrace social media. What do you think of the “asymmetric communications” trend? Are there other developments you would add as indicators of a shifting social media environment?
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views