A LEVEL FILM STUDIES
FM3 – getting it right (exam board guidance)
• Learning outcomes: to have made improvements using
guidelines from an FM3 examiner
What should be evident?
• Multiple entries from collation sites (such as IMDb and
Wikipedia) should be viewed as one source with multiple
pages, and should be referenced as such.
• YouTube clips (directors speaking, clips from
documentaries, etc.) are to be encouraged.
What to avoid…
• The weaker end of the range the annotations could be
more precise in indicating how the item contributed to the
development of the project. Similarly, many catalogues did
not achieve the marks they were capable of achieving due
to an absence of, or a perfunctory set, of de-selected
• The best candidates were able to use the script to reflect
a real or imagined presentation that utilises a range of
presentation tools and approaches. Most candidates were
able to express their research subject within one of the
Film Studies ‘frameworks’ and were able to support this
with direct reference to the Annotated Catalogue items.
• Candidates must ensure that the chosen framework is at
the forefront of the presentation, framing the investigation
and the findings.