1. MAREI wins Awards of Excellence at National REIA Mid Year for 2nd Year in a Row! MID-AMERICA ASSOCIATION OF REAL ESTATE INVESTORS Investment News NETWORKING : EDUCATION : COMMUNITY : GOVERNMENT December 2012 10 e Pag Happy Ho lidays Fro m the MAREI Staff
2. CONTENTS Heading into Year 10 Government officials are working 6 to Change the Way Things Work. I Don’t Care Government officials are working 8 to Change the Way Things Work. Housing Trends The latest trends in housing are 12 changing the investing industry. Hyper Local Blogging How do we share our knowledge 16 and get people to find our blog. The Investment Game Just getting started with invest- ment rentals. Do you know what 18 you are doing? Every Issue 10 Benefits at a Glance 14 Membership 20 Investment Opportunities 22 December Member Training 23 December Meeting 24 Monthly Calendar Web Exclusive @ Check out our Website MAREInet.com Contact us by Phone Emerging 913-815-0111 Trends in Email US info@MAREInet.com Real Estate 2013 Join The Conversation MAREInet.com/Blog MAREInet.com/ Trends2013 Join Association MAREInet.com/MembershipPage 2 MAREInet.com
3. SERVICES THAT PUT PROSAND INVESTORS FIRSTWith our FIRST for Pro initiative, The Home Depot is takingEven better care of our best customers. FAST IN AND OUT Time is money — we’ll get you back to work quickly. Dedicated Pro Desk Associates. Two hour advance order pulling. KNOWLEDEABLE, HELPFUL FIRST FOR PRO ASSOCIATES First for Pro Associates provide a single point of contact — They’ll get to know you by name. You can rely on them to know about the products, services and related items needed for each of your jobs. Look for Associates with FIRST for Pro badges on their aprons. IN-STOCK JOB LOT QUANTITIES You can rely on The Home Depot to have the items you want in the amounts you need. Our stores keep job lot quantities in stock. Ask about direct-to-job-site delivery options. GREAT PRICES JUST FOR PROS We Offer everyday low prices, plus more ways to save on larger orders. You can count on competitive pricing on everything in every department Volume pricing discounts available on purchases as low as $2,500. Instant bulk price savings available 1000s of items. SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR MAREI MAREI members receive special discounts at The Home Depot nationwide. Two percent rebate paid twice a year on all purchases made through all registered accounts. Twenty percent discount on selected paint brands. Exclusive to members of National REIA. EXCLUSIVE PROJECT ESTIMATOR APP Coming in 2013, the Home Depot Project Estimator App for iPad, a business changing tool for National REIA Chapter members nationwide. Watch your local REIA Chapter for Investment News Page 3 more information.
4. Mid-America Association of Real Estate Investors The only National REIA Chapter in the Tri State Region Serving KS, MO & NE Honor’s of Merritt Winner National REIA Contact Information Awards of Excellence 2011 & 2012 PO Box 8685, Prairie Village KS, 66208 Phone: 913-815-0111 Email: info@MAREInet.com Read Newsletter Online Anytime MAREInet.com/Newsletter Our Mission Statement Mid-America Association of Real Estate Investors is dedicated to promoting ethical real estate investing and to protect and promote the best interest of our membership through educational Connect with us Online and networking opportunities as well as community, legislative and public relations. LinkedIn Group: Kansas City Real Estate Investors Legal Disclaimer MAREI does not exist to render and does not give legal, tax, economic or investment advice and disclaims all liability for the action or inaction taken or not as a result of communications from or to its members, officers, directors, employees and contractors. Each individual should consult Facebook Page: his/her own counsel, accountant and other advisors as to legal, tax, economic, investment and related matters concerning real estate and other investments. Kansas City Real Estate Investing Content Disclaimer Facebook.com/Groups The views and opinions expressed by authors of articles contributed to this newsletter do not necessarily reflect those of the association, the board of directors or the staff. Kansas City Real Estate: /kcrei/ Mid-Missouri Real Estate: /MidMo/ Advertise in the Investment News Omaha Real Estate: /OmahaRE/ Rate Schedule Topeka Real Estate: /TopekaRE/ Size Non-Member Member Business Associate Wichita Real Estate: /WichitaRE/ Full Page $175 $140 $115 Special Groups Facebook 1/2 Page $145 $105 $85 KCMO Water Dept Issues: /badbilling/ 1/4 Page $75 $65 $50 1/8 Page $55 $35 $25 MO Creative Finance Legislation Find us on Twitter A 10% discount is given on ads pre-paid for 6-12 months. Any changes to a pre-paid ad will incur a minimum charge of $20. The deadline to submit ad copy is the 1st of each month. All @MAREInet ads must be prepaid. Contact to verify ad format can be accepted. PDF preferred. There is an additional charge of $25 to typeset a business card ad or 1/4 page ad layout, $60 for a 1/2 Tweet #KCREI page or full page lay-out. Opportunities also exist for advertising on www.MAREInet.com. Call 913-815-0111 for more information. Email ad copy to info@MAREInet.com. Mail payment to MAREI, PO Box 8685, Prairie Village, KS 66208 or request an online payment for to use credit or debit card.Page 4 MAREInet.com
5. Use your smart phone to match real -world colors with paint colors. Get coordinating colors or create custom palettes. Search, browse, adjust, save and even share colors. All for free! FEATURES Use your iPhone, Blackberry, or Android smart phone to capture a color that inspires you and match it to one of 1,500 Sherwin- Williams paint colors. Create a custom palette or Ask Sherwin-Williams for colors that complement your color. Search for specific colors or browse the full Sherwin-Williams color palette right from your iPhone or Blackberry, or Android smart phone. Fine tune colors using lightness, saturation and hue features. Save colors to your "My Saved Colors" library to compare palettes or share via Facebook and email. Learn detailed color information, including color names, RGB val- ues, and LRV numbers–all with the ColorSnap® app. Find a Sherwin-Williams Store Near You: SherwinWilliams.com Member Tip: Whether you are repainting a rental or picking new col- ors for your resale renovation, use this mobile app to assist you with color selection and to remember your favorites. Be sure to take your colors to your favorite Sherwin Williams Store and be sure to provide them with your exclusive discount card from Mid-America Associa- tion of Real Estate Investors to get the absolute best pricing Sherwin Williams has to offer on all their products. If you have trouble keeping track of your Member Discount Card . . . Snap a photo with your smart phone of both sides and you will always have your discount card with you . . . If your Card Expires in 2012, you can request a new one from the MAREI office, we mail out new ones with your membership renewal and we post copies of the new card in the MAREI member Guide.Investment News Page 5
6. Heading into Year Ten! Won’t you come along for the 2013 ride! Little did we know that December of 2003 that the brand draw to fill a training room, we will have it online. new company known as Mid-America Association of Real Here locally we are making some changes as well in re- Estate Investors would take off and be a major factor in the gards to training. We are looking at several options to Real Estate Investing Community in the mid-west. We get our local experts involved in training our new mem- were new and innovative then and now 9 years later, after bers. This allows the new members access to local, af- the great real estate boom and the bubble bursting we are fordable training so they learn the business the correct back in growth mode. way from the start. Plus by giving back, the advanced We have been a member of National REIA since the be- members gain customers to their business, visibility in ginning and have been winning awards for the past two the community, and the chance to perfect their skills. years for the tools and programs we use to connect with We have finally taken the step to add a 2nd monthly our members, educate our members, and to have our meeting. See later on in this issue information on our members take part in the community as a whole. very first meeting of MAREI KC North, to be held on Jan- So what’s on the horizon. Well in the past year we have uary 3rd at the North Kansas City Community Center. stepped up the game to become a Chapter Member of Na- This is specifically designed for our Northland Members tional REIA, which means we will have all the same great but is open to everyone. benefits and programs we have always had, like our Sher- We are still working on building up our mastermind or win Williams and Home Depot Discounts, Monthly Meet- subgroups. We would like to see 2013 bring a few more ings, and Week-End Events. With the new Chapter Pro- groups that are based on geographic area, like outlying gram in place we will have a lot of new great exclusives. areas around the metro as well as Lawrence, Topeka, Coming in 2013 for our members, be on the look out for a Wichita and Omaha. We would also like to add a group brand new mobile app just for Chapters Members of Na- for advanced investors, a womens group, a young per- tional REIA from The Home Depot. This app will be a sons group and possibly some groups based on topic. game changer or many Landlords and Remodelers as it These may be short lived 2 or 3 meeting groups or they will store your entire list of favorite products and allow you might meet monthly or weekly. Bring us your ideas, but to walk through each room on a project, take measure- remember with new groups comes the need for new ments , select products and produce a bid and purchase group leaders. list. This purchase list is then sent straight to the pro-desk As we head into our 10th year in 2013, we look forward to be priced out through the Volume Discount Pricing Pro- to working with our member community. We have a lot gram and for you to order and pay for on one of your ac- of great challenges facing us from the Political Advocacy counts that offers your 2% cash back. They are still in test- Stand Point as well as some great opportunities to con- ing mode, but it will be out in 2013. nect with our community and raise the professionalism of Coming in 2013 for our member, look for the new National the real estate investing community. I really hope you REIA University and a new Professional Housing Provider will enjoy 2013 at MAREI as much as we enjoy working Program. We have a core curriculum that all investors with you as a member. should be knowledgeable to earn a Professional Housing Make it a Great Year Provider Designation. But to get all the classes one might have to work over several years to get all the topics need- Kim Tucker ed a live training and some of the topic might be a bit less that exciting. So the solution is going to be National REIA University. While we will still have live meetings and train- How I did the deal will be back in January, sub- ing events, the online solution will fill in. So if you just mit your deals to info@MAREInet.com. Deals missed the live training on a topic, you will be able to find selected for publication will receive a $25 credit that topic online and not have to wait till it comes around again. Also for the topics that might not be a big enough on account to apply to trainign workshops.Page 6 MAREInet.com
7. INSTRUCTORS WANTEDFor the Following Topcis Landlording: Landlord Tenant Law Purchasing: Buying REO Properties Appraisal Methods Landlording: Evictions Purchasing: How much to Offer Appraisal: Comparing Properties Landlording: Tenant Screening Purchasing: Notes & Bulk Sales Contract Law: Basics Landlording: Record Keeping Rehabbing: Estimation On Site Contract Law: Must have Clause Landlording: Maximizing Cash Flow Rehabbing: Estimation Classroom Contract Law: Purchase Contracts Landlording: Property Management Rehabbing: Live Demonstrations Contract Law: Creative Financing Marketing: For Motivated Sellers Regulations: Lead Paint Finance: FHA / VA & Conventional Marketing: Building Buyers List Regulations: Zoning & Building Codes Finance: Owner Financing Marketing: Social Media Tax Law: Minimizing Taxes Funding: Private Lending Marketing: Websites Tax Law: 1031 Exchange Funding: Self Directed IRA Marketing: Database Management Tax Law: Cost Segregation Funding: Syndication Negotiation: With Motivated Sellers MAREI would like to work with local in- structors on these topics to develop an Insurance: for Properties Negotiation: Short Sales informational article for the newsletter, a 30 minute webinar, and a 2 hour Live Insurance: Workman’s Comp Negotiation: Contractor Agreements Workshop. If you would like to share your Insurance: Liability & Others Negotiation: Buyers & Renters expertise or know someone who would accurate Accurate Closings: Smooth, Timely, Professional.Title Services Provided for: Property Management FSBO, Wholesale, & REO Transactions New Construction Closings Section 8 Housing Commercial Purchases and Refinance KC Metro Wide All Types of Loan Closings 1031 Exchanges FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional Loans, and Jeff Woods Hard Money Loan Closings Refinance & Reverse Mortgages Broker Doc Prep, Prelim HUDS, Curing Issues Short Sale Closing & Assistance www.MyPremierLeasing.com 100 Years of Combined Service! 816-849500 www.AccurateTitleCo.com 913-338-0100 phone Investment News Page 7
8. I Don’t Care MAREI’s Political Advocacy Committee Keeps You Informed! MAREInet.com/Current-Issues/As Real Estate Investors we often hear about an sure you know what the issues are, provide youissue in the media. Unless it directly affects your with information to make informed decisionspersonal business, we think “That’s not right, but it about those issues, and help you share yourreally does not directly affect me. So I really don’t thoughts and decisions with the correct officials.care.” We are here to tell you that if it affects the To that end we have a Political Advocacy Sectionreal estate industry, more often than not, it will on our website. We will send you Calls to Actionaffect all Americans in some way. Housing and Real on important issues via email and social media.Estate Issues affect the US economy and just Your responsibility as a member of our associa-about everything else in some capacity. tion is to stop and take action. Don’t stick yourOur next thought is “Ok, so it might be important, head in the sand and wait for someone else to dobut what can I do? “ Well individually, you can’t do something. It’s up to you to make your voicea whole heck of a lot as an average citizen. But as heard.a part of a large organization you have the a much When you do send your comments and opinionslarger impact. If we all think about how it will us, to officials, be sure to remind them that you are awrite out our thoughts, and share them with the citizen in their area. Next make sure they knowappropriate officials, we can collectively do some- you are a part of our larger associations, both Midthing. When we as an association of Real Estate -America Association of Real Estate Investors andprofessionals band together and make our voice National Real Estate Investor Association and anyheard, we can make changes to current laws and other associations you may be affiliated with.stop bad legislation or help draft legislation that is When they see similar messages coming from allmore favorable to our industry. of our members, they will take notice becauseOne of our key responsibilities here at Mid-America credible professionals are providing them input.Association of Real Estate Investors is to makePage 8 MAREInet.com
9. found the law to be very compli- primary one being the fact that CURRENT ISSUES cated, hard to understand, and when tenants do not pay theirMortgage Interest Deduction almost impossible to comply with water bill, the city is then takingand the Fiscal Cliff: By now reporting requirements. Because the bill to the Landlord. If andyou have seen the many media of the difficulties in compliance when the landlord starts receiv-reports concerning the “Fiscal and the fines and punishments ing bills, and request the cityCliff”. That if our legislators do for lack of compliance, most in- shut off water, the city is refusingnot get their own collective heads vestors in the state of Texas the shut off. The result beingout of the sand and start working have stopped offering Contract very huge water bills that contin-together, that rules and regula- for Deed. ue to grow, that end up going totions are going to have our econ- court and judgments being Remember the proposed MO lawomy, falling over the edge of the placed against the landlord or the is for all creative financing, sofiscal cliff. p r o p e r t y . ours will also affect Lease Op-Many of the media reports sug- tions. So unless we as investors We urge all of our memers whogest changes to the policy that live in the state of Missouri to speak out here in the state ofhas allowed homeowners to de- Missouri we may find ourselves take part and watch the situationduct mortgage interest payments closely. What happens in Kansas wih a similar law, which whenfrom their income tax. Some re- City could in turn bring about the combined with the Safe Act couldports point to an elimination of creation of a new bill in MO that severely limit and in some casesthis very valuable homeowner would not allow city owned mu- halt creative finance sales to de-deduction and others report to nicipalities from billing landlords serving homeowners who maylimiting the deduction. for unpaid tenant utilities. Bills not have found any other way to have been introduced regardingWe urge anyone who has not yet pursue the American Dream of this matter in the state of Mis-taken action on this issue to visit home ownership. souri several times over the pastour website to connect with their Halting or further limiting the few years, yet have not yetproper official. sale of homes in the state of Mis- passed. In taking with draftersMO H.B. 296: Contract for souri could hurt the very fragile of past bills, they feel it will takeDeed Act: MO Senator Shalonn housing recovery and economy of efforts like those of Landlord Le-‘Kiki’ Curls is soliciting comments the state. gal Fund against the Kansas Cityon a proposed bill designed to We urge all members to review Missouri Water Department asreform legislation regarding Con- the proposed legislation on our well as ultimately having the is-tracts for Deed as well as other site and we urge everyone from sue go all the way to the stateforms of creative financing. She the state of Missouri or from Supreme Court.is being assisted in this legisla- states that already have similar We urge our Missouri memberstion being designed to protect laws, to both comment on our to review the issue online andconsumers from predatory prac- site and to direct comments to send comments on the mattertices by Attorney Michael Duffy the drafters of this bill. not only to Kansas City Missouriwith MO Legal Aid. Billing Practices of the Kansas City and Water Department Offi-Similar laws have been enacted City Missouri Water Depart- cials if you live and work in Kan-in other states and this one is ment: Being championed by the sas City Missouri. Plus if you arebeing modeled after the law writ- Landlord Legal Fund a resident of Missouri, let yourten a few years ago in Texas. In (www.LandlordLegalFund.org), state officials know your thoughtsconversations with Texas Attor- Lanlords across Kansas City Mis- on the matter as well.neys and Investors, we have souri have hired an Attorney to See onlinefound that investors in that state fight several different issues, the MAREInet.com/current-issues Investment News Page 9
10. MAREI’S MEMBER BENEFITS PROGRAM YOUR MEMBER BENEFITS AT-A-GLANCE USE THIS PAGE AS A GUIDE TO VALUE ADDED DISCOUNTS TOOLS AND SAVINGS CREATED JUST FOR YOU ON GOODS AND SERVICES YOU USE EVERY DAY.Landlord Services Suppliers News & Information E-Update MAREI’s award winning weekly email update with what’s happening in real estate including properties for sale, gov-Screening for tenants & workers with ernment affairs and local market data. 20% discount for members. Learn how to save money at Home De- pot and register for a 2% Rebate for all Investment News purchases & rentals across the US. FORMS & DOCS Plus 20% Discount on Paint in Kansas The award winning newsletter for Mid-Member Library is packed with forms City. And coming in 2013 the New America Association of Real Estate In-and docs, plus 15 % discount at EZ Home Depot App for iPad exclusively for vestors: published monthly and distrib-Landlord Forms for premium forms. Chapter Members to use in project esti- uted both in print at our meetings and mation on home repair and remodel. digitally to our database of over 5000 people. One of the best ways to get your message in front of a targeted group of real estate professionals.Market your rentals on the nations topranked rental site. Member discount All members receive a discount card is 20% off Regular Prices. to access our exclusive discounts up to 40% off all paint, supplies, and flooring—nationwide.Office Solutions Marketing Magazine for the real estate investor. With discount subscriptions for MAREI members and FREE copies available at our monthly meetings.Save on select FedEx Office copy andprint services up to 20% and on Fed- Ex Shipping up to 22%. Websites for investors, landlords, and other services. FREE trial.Receive discounts up to 65% on over Free issues of both magazines 12,000 products you use the most available at the monthly online and in store. Email and Social Media Marketing, Free meetings of MAREI. Trial and Discounts for paying in ad- vance.Page 10 MAREInet.com
11. Other Discounts Member Service We have several services as part of our website to help you grow MAREI’s Political Advocacy Group your business. actively monitors national legisla- tion and rule-making that im- pacts the real estate industry and harnessing the strength of MAREI Nearly 70% of QuickBooks users say members at the grassroots level.that it makes their business more prof- itable. Get your Accounting on track. Buy at a 20% discount our special MAREI mem- links from the MAREI Web Site. bers also re- ceive timely Calls to Action REAL ESTATE BOOKS Calendar of Events to stay up to when there is a date with all of our activities. The nation’s largest provider of time for our real estate training materi- members to als, DEARBORN is America’s take action on Premier Real Estate Publish- an important vote. er. Members receive up to 40% off. Members also have access to the latest Browse the member properties to in Market Da- find your next deal. Take the ta. time to post your investment op- portunities for other members Special member discounts for and site visitors to browse. members at Avis, Budget, and Enterprise Rentals. VISIT ww.MAREInet.com The Member Library is packed Look under Resources & and ever growing with pdf ver- Members Only The Local Market Monitor tracks real estate sales and economic sions of entire books, EBooks, trends nation wide. Offering Articles, Forms, and Documents. 25% Discount for Members. Investment News Page 11
12. Housing Trends With the increased number of cash buyers and the increased competition the time on the market for Researchers across the country are resales has gone down, prices in most cases have pointing to recent housing trends that gone up. According to CoreLogic, home prices are Real Estate Professionals have been about 5% higher over the past year. CoreLogic also noticing for most of the last 1/2 of 2012. reports that all sales, both non-distressed as well as distressed have been rising. The Center for Real Estate Research, part of REAL- If you look at numbers year to year pricing has TOR® University funded a study conducted by been up every month in 2012 since March. But Grant Ian Thrall, Ph.D., a professor at the Universi- keep in mind prices were not extremely high to ty of Florida, and Thomas Springer, professor of fi- begin with and about 20% of all sales are still dis- nance and real estate at Clemson University. tressed. So while things are improving, they still The study found that there all-cash becoming more have a long way to go. prevalent. Which investors have been seeing with When we go from a national view to our local re- more cash buyers for REO and distressed sales by gion, we see that foreclosures have almost gone investors as well as more cash buyers for owner away. From RealtyTrac we see Kansas went from a occupied homes. Here in Kansas City we have no- high of almost 200 foreclosure sales in June to just ticed this with more and more people pulling their 4 in October. Missouri had a high of almost 1200 cash out of the stock market and investing it in real sales in June to only 61 in October. Nebraska show estate. We have been seeing this both by private several different months with total foreclosure sales individuals as well as large hedge funds across the of about 120 to only 1 reported on RealtyTrac in nation. October. With the increase in the number of cash buyers, In a blog post from RealtyTrac, their president investors nationwide have seen increased competi- Daren Blomquist tells us that banks are holding tion for the purchase of investment homes. This is back REO inventory. He quotes the most recent creating HUGE opportunities for investors who can quarterly 10-Q SEC filing from Fannie Mae that secure turn key rental housing and other turn key found two items the show this trend. real estate investments for cash buyers with anx- ious money leaving the stock market. First there is a list of reasons that Fannie providesPage 12 MAREInet.com
13. that only 22 percent of it’s REO inventory is being The may also be holding back foreclosures so therelisted for sale. Second there is a phrase found sev- is not a massive glut of houses on the market thateral times in the report that goes something along would further depress prices and increase theirthe lines of “Managing our REO inventory to mini- losses. So to protect the prices of future homesmize cost and maximize sales.” This leads industry they plan to sell, they only let a limited supply goinsiders to believe that they are intentionally holding through the foreclosure and sales process.houses back from the market. So what does this mean for us as investors. If youSo why are they holding back? Remember that a rely on bank owned REOs for your property pur-lender does not realize the loss on the loan, at lease chases, you are paying more for them, if you canfrom the bean counters point of view is until they find one to purchase. Cash buyers are clamoringsell the house at a loss. So if they don’t foreclose for investment properties so if real estate investorsand sell the house at a loss, their books don’t show a can find a way to supply those homes throughloss yet, allowing them to value the asset higher un- wholesales, bulk purchases from banks, or fromtil it is foreclosed. This allows them to defer report- acquiring defaulted notes and obtaining propertiesing the loss. And what if Fannie and others like through the workout process, then there is a largethem defer and defer and defer. Or maybe take a opportunity for profit.large package of defaulted loans and sell them to a So when is a good time to invest in real estate?hedgefund. They will then realize a loss in a differ- Right now, is a highly lucrative time for the in-ent part of their P & L and save money by not having formed investor who knows how to take action.to complete a foreclosure or work out process. Cornerstone Foundation Repair Kansas Cities Real Estate Investor’s #1 Foundation Repair Contractor Steel Push to Bedrock Piers @ $850 ea Steel Wall Restraints Starting @ $180 ea Do the math. Your vacancy is costing you every day. Crack Injection @ $25 per foot Fill your vacancy faster and save money Sump Pumps @ $800 each with Rentals.com! We are proud to say that we have become real estate investors 1st call for major foundation Discounts for MAREI Members: repair issues. We offer 25 year and lifetime Receive 20% off all Regular transferable warranties for piering only. Priced Advertising. Log into Joe Williams Member’s Area, click on Member ConerstoneFoundationRepair@yahoo.com Discounts and look for MAREI’s Discount code! 913-220-5253 Ask about our Investor Pricing Investment News Page 13
14. WELCOME NEW MEMBERS To the premier trade association representing Kansas City Area Real Estate professionals MAREI continues its growth with a total of 312 members to-date. JOIN NOW (MAREInet.com/join) Renewing New Members Steve Burns: Shawnee Mission, KS (since 2005) Sylvia Gill: Kansas City, MO Sandra Deoring: Blue Springs, MO (since 2009) Thomas Gill: Kansas City, MO Walter Deoring: Blue Springs, MO (since 2009) David Heiman: Lone Jack, MO Kathleen Fitzgerald: Mexico, MO (since 2011) Don Hendrix: Topeka, KS Jason George: Oak Grove, MO (since 2011) Barry Hudson: Independence, MO Dan Goodwin: Overland Park, KS (since 2005) Sean Huang: Kansas City, MO Shelda Goodwin: Overland Park, KS (since 2005) Charise King: Raytown, MO Lauren Hruby: Kansas City, MO (since 2011) James Jackson: Independence, MO Joe Martin: Kansas City, MO (since 2009) Mark Jones: Shawnee, KS Scott Tucker: Kansas City, MO (since 2010) Doug Lorenz: Lee’s Summit, MO John Welchert: Lee’s Summit, MO (since 2005) Rebecca Lorenz: Lee’s Summit, Mo Randall Willbanks: Raytown, MO (since 2011) Kevin Rogers: Lee’s Summit, MO Alena Vanderwerf: Overland Park, KSPage 14 MAREInet.com
15. informed MAREI targeted group Professionals Of Clients From Motivation to How To Optimization of YourMAREI members are above the MAREI sets the standard for realcrowd. They participate in an in- estate investor networking andformative newsletter, blog, and education, drawing the type of cli-social media experience. They ent you want to do business with.connect, ask questions, and share Our meetings and online presenceopportunities through our interac- gathers targets the qualified leadstive website and live meetings. your business needs. But there isPlus they save $100s using the only one way to get in front ofmany member discounts. them . . become a Business Mem- ber today! $99.00 / year $499.00 / year Additional Member $50 Includes Advertising INVESTOR BUSINESS MEMBERSHIP MEMBERSHIPInvestment News Page 15
16. Hyper Local Blogging Targeting your blog to specific “Hyper Local” Areas to Target a Specific Geographic Article provided by Real Estate and Internet Market- Niche with the Goal of Becoming a Trusted ing Expert Duncan Wierman Authority to Dominate the Market. When most people thinking of “real estate blogging” they naturally attract people who are fans of that community. think of posts like market updates, buyer and seller tips, These people can be active buyers, or will be one day. and way too many “featured” listings. Is your name on the tip of the tongue of all of your buy- The term “Hyper-Local Blogging” refers to the practice of ers? writing about topics beyond real estate that effect a 3) Be a True Expert greater percentage of a specific area. I more specifically define it as “Targetted and Consistent Blogging on a There is always blow-back against uses of the word Specific Geographic Niche with the Goal of Becoming the “expert”, “guru”, “pro”, etc. Buyers and Sellers no longer Trusted Authority and Dominating that Market in Your want a Jack-of-All-Trades-Master-of-None, they want Particular Field.” someone who knows everything about what they need help with; buying or selling a home in XYZ neighbor- While we’re identifying this technique as “blogging”, the hood! same principles can be achieved in other mediums. Face- book Fan Pages devoted to a local city, community, or 4) Search Engine Dominance neighborhood can also thrive when done correctly. There’s no doubt that ranking well in Google for Here are my top 4 arguments for why you should start “YOUR NICHE real estate” and “YOUR Niche homes incorporating hyper-local content into your toolbox. for sale” can increase your traffic, but how about ranking well for names of local businesses, parks, 1) Cast a Wider Net events, news, and just “YOUR NICHE”? Buyers are now more interested in the local news, Local interest content is also much more likely to events, and attractions in the area. I get phone calls and be shared across social networks, meaning greater emails telling me that they love my blog and have been exposure and the uncovering of even more people avid readers for some time now, and they want me to who are interested in your niche. Generating quali- find them a deal. ty, natural back-links to your site is one of the There is no competition because I have demonstrated my most helpful SEO practices that one can do to knowledge of not just the real estate market, but of the boost both traffic and search engine rankings, but area as well. I have been able to build a level of trust it is extremely difficult to do when all you are talk- with them through my writing all-the-while having never ing about is real estate. written a personalized message to them in my life. It is If, however, you fill your site with content about for this reason that I often recognize my blog as a “lead local news and events from and insightful, intelli- cultivator” instead of a “lead generator”. gent, humorous, and interesting content, then peo- 2) They’re Not Just Buying a Home ple are happy to send some business your way. In addition, local interest content is also much more People don’t just buy a home, they buy a neighborhood likely to be shared across social networks, meaning with a home in it that they like. Have you ever sold a greater exposure and the uncovering of even more home to someone that said they hate the neighborhood, people who are interested in your niche. but they just love the home? Not me! When you write about community news and events, youPage 16 MAREInet.com
17. The best place on the entire planet to buy kitchen cabinets. We Have The Best Prices Everything Is In Stock Property Management Rental Services We Ship Fast Kansas City Metro Free Design Help www.CabinetGiant.com www.JamiesonHomeTeam.com Josh Burns Kevin Jamieson 816-503-4671 1-877-484-4268 Www.CoffeltLandTitle.com Selling on Terms? For title, escrow, Need Cash Now? 1031 & foreclosure. We specialize in the purchase of owner financed notes and contracts from real estate investors across the nation. By selling on terms you create a note or contract which can be sold for cash. We can purchase all or part of your payments right at the closing table to provide you with your profits in cash now so you can move on to your next deal. Request a Quote Today! Email us at info@GBIFunding.com Bud Whisler 816-380-3441Investment News Page 17
18. The Investment Game leave you besides more stress, extra weight and less hair? Do your homework on real estate but leave the property management up to the experts. Reprinted from the AZREIA Advantage. Please visit their website at AZREIA.org for more information. They do it everyday and are worth every penny. You don’t want that weekend call from your tenant that the air conditioner is out when you’re out on the lake “I’m finally in it,” says the savvy investor. I’m finally with your family. You don’t want to be standing in in the investment game! He just had his first prime- lines at the court house trying to file a judgment to time real estate transaction. He’s been thinking get your tenant out of your beautiful home. These about doing it for years. Finally with these prices, are all issues you shouldn’t even be considering. who can resist. His house is set to close next week. You need to be focusing on that next great real es- He wants to sit on it for awhile and let appreciation tate deal that is around every corner right now. and inflation do its work. Although if he can’t afford This is even more crucial if you are an out of state letting it just sit there, he should probably get a ten- investor. So many investors make the mistake that ant. Heck, with his low mortgage payment from his they can play this game from long distance. I don’t great deal, he might even cash flow with monthly want to tell you how many sad cases I have seen or rental income. That sounds like a great idea. The properties I have taken over that have been in this more he thinks about it, the more the swirling situation. It is never pretty and is always thousands thoughts hit him that he would need to worry about of dollars in lost mortgage payments, fix up costs, getting the home rent ready, marketing the property, and most importantly time. Few investors also real- showing the property, screening the tenant, writing ize that most states can fine owners for not having up the contract, moving the tenant into the property, an in state statutory agent representing them. doing all the ongoing maintenance, collecting the rent, praying he would never need to evict the ten- These fines can be as high as $1000. There are also ant, and this whole time being available non-stop for very specific laws that differ from state to state in any incoming calls or issues. Are you kidding me? regards to the Landlord Tenant Act and what your When will I have time to buy my second, third, or rights are as an owner and tenant. This is what I even fourth investment property? W hat a nightmare. mean when I say do your homework. Be smart and get in the investment game. At the end of the day we all want to be that savvy investor. The reason we fail is because we end up Just don’t already be losing before you even start taking on too much to save a buck. W here does that playing. Make a plan and then work the plan.Page 18 MAREInet.com
19. Starting in January 2013, there will be two monthly meetingseach month.► KC Metro South on the 2nd Tuesday of the MonthAt Career Education Systems, located inside of the WardParkway Shopping Center, at 8600 Ward Parkway, KansasCity Missouri. Top Floor of the Mall. ► KC Northland on the 1st Thursday of the Month At the North Kansas City Community Center located at 11999 Iron Street, North Kansas City, MO - just north of the River off I-35. www.APIAProtects.com HOUSES WANTED 1(877) 752-2742 South Kansas City Lisa Goodner GrandviewBecause APIA sells only Real Estate Owned(REO) and Forced Lender insurance coverage, Raytownweve become the industry leader in providingcomprehensive, affordable coverage to inves-tors, financial institutions and mortgage compa- Rentals Areas Oknies. No RentalOur company specializes in Real Estate Owned(REO) and Forced Lender insurance coverage Local Cash Buyer Looking for 4 to 6 Houses a month to purchase,for property investors, servicers, financial insti- rehab and sell. Money Partners want their money placed quickly sotutions and mortgage companies. Standard in- they can turn their money fast and make a profit. Can’t do thatsurance companies also turn to us for our ser- with out houses! Bring us a deal!vices. Email: kcmoHomeBuyer@gmail.com Submit Online: kcmoHomeBuyer.com Investment News Page 19
20. 2803 S Norwood $59,900 3 Bed Rental Ready Scott Tucker Independence, MO 1 Bath Ranch in Independ- Realty Resource Crawl ence, MO email@example.com 816-523-4400 Note for Sale $140,00 $148500 Cash Flow $1200 a Don Tucker Secured by Home 20 yr month. Auto Draft GBI Funding In Blue Springs 8% Int Payment. 3 Pay- Don@GBIFunding.com $1200 ments made GBIFunding.com 816-523-4400 Kansas City MO $162,500 4: 2 bd Kansas City Home Jamieson Home Team Package 1: 3 bd Package of 5 Per- Reece and Nichols 64130 forming Properties BuyOrSellYourHomeKC.com 913-384-8331 3843 Thompson, $9,500 3 Bd Handyman Special Bemate Kansas City, MO 1 Ba in North-East Sakal Investing KCMO 913-735-9997 3766 Mercier ST $65,000 3 Bd Fixer-Upper in Roa- Bemate Kansas City, MO 1 Ba noke—Valentine Sakal Investing Area—$65k OBO 913-735-9997 Olathe $84,000 3 Bed Great Potential in Chad Bartlett 3.5 Ba Olathe!!! HomeRemedyKC.com 2 Car 913-735-5598 Slab Rogersville, MO Negotiable 4 Units 4 property package Kathleen Stegman for sale 913-208-0979Page 20 MAREInet.com
21. MAREI Member PropertiesMAREInet.com/Properties Raytown $167,000 7 Unit Raytown Cash Flow Terrance Benson Property— RTBHomeBuyers.com Assignment 816-804-5287 2120 SE 3rd St $135,000 3 bed Great home for your John Welchert Lee’s Summit, MO 2 bath home buyers, lease Broker / Salesperson Raised to own tenants, or Platinum Realty Ranch cash flowing rental. 816–522–0002 6149 Harvard $89,900 4 bed Short Sale, Local Scott Tucker Raytown, MO 3 Bath Bank. Bring Offers. Realty Resource 2 Car Second Living Qtrs in STucker319@gmail.com Lower Level 913-620-794 12019 E 86th St $157,900 3 Bed For your owner occu- Scott Tucker Kansas City, MO 2.5 bath pant buyers; Patio Realty Resource Raytown Schools 2 car Home, Maintenance STucker319@gmail.com Unfin Provided on Golf 913-620-794 bsmt CourseMember Property Marketing Quick Tips: The more words about the type of property, the type of sale, and the city and state that you include in your post, the more likely a person searching online will find your listing Be sure to include a Photo as the featured image and a tag line that tells people why they would benefit from buying your property: rent ready, monthly cash flow, low rehab costs, high equity, turn key—what ever. “123 main street, 3 bed, 2 bath in KCMO does not sell a house, tell them why they should look at your house” The HTML code provided to other sites does not always create a good post on the MAREI page. So if you use HTML, be sure to see what your property looks like on the main property page that lists all the properties together as well as on the page for the property. Go back and edit if you don’t like what you see. And HTML from other sites does not allow us to feed your prop- erty to the social media sites. Just an FYI! Last we do need a property address. If you don’t provide and address, we can’t publish. Investment News Page 21
22. DEMBER GIFT FOR MAREI MEMBERS There are three things that every Real Estate Investor must do . . . 1. Learn How to Put Together a Deal 2. Market Your Business 3. Fund Your Business For the month of December, MAREI would like to help their members with #3, Funding.While we have a packed library that will help you with all aspects of real estate investing, for theMonth of November we would like to feature two items found in MAREI’s Online Library: How to Get the Money You Need to Buy Property (Buy at Amazon $9.97) This is a 27 Chapter eBook that walks you through the steps that Real Estate Investor Alan Cowgill takes to find Private Lenders to fund his deals. Tax Free IRA Investing (Buy from Walter, full Course $297) This is a 10 Video Course with Workbooks from Self Directed IRA Real Estate Investing Expert Walter Wofford, we have the first 5 beginner sections. The next 5 more advanced topics can be purchased.So where can you find this great information? Go to www.MAREInet.com/members-only/training/ You will need to log into the system This is a $160 value, way more than the cost of membership!
23. MAREI’s December Meeting December Event! Special Guests Monthly Meeting Dan Goodwin Scott Ficinus Deb Felderhoff We have a wealth of knowledge in our MAREI membership andLocation: in December we have invited some of our top experts to share some of that knowledge with you. So be sure to attend, readyCareer Education Systems to take notes and get some very useful information.Ward Parkway Shopping Center Top Three Phone Aps: Dan Goodwin will be sharing his topTop Floor three aps that we can all implement on our smart phone and or8600 Ward Parkway computer, tablet etc.Kansas City, MO Top Three Real Estate Industry Trends: Scott Ficinus is going to be sharing part of a presentation that outlines some of the topTimes: trends right now in the Real Estate Industry. Top Three Mistakes New Investors Make: Deb Felderhoff isTuesday December 11 going to be sharing the Top Three Mistakes that she sees many6pm to 9pm new investors making.Agenda for Tuesday December 11 Cost5:30 pm — Pre-Meeting & Set Up Investor Member—No Charge5:50 pm — Orientation Business Member—No Charge6:00 pm — Networking & Vendor Hall (reserve vendor table) Internet Member—Guest Fee7:00 pm — Speed Networking7:15 pm — Presentation: Top Three from Three Guest Fee with Dan Goodwin, Scott Ficinus and Deb Felderhoff $25 Per Person at the Door8:30 pm — Wrap Up and One on One Q & A $15 Per Person on Web9:00pm — Meeting Ends Go to MAREInet.com/December Register for this meeting NOW! All Guest Fees Paid will MAREInet.com/December Be credited toward membership when you join at the Meeting.
24. Subscribe & Sync MAREInet.com/Calendar The MAREI calendar is hosted on Google Calendars. This allows you to subscribe to our calendar and sync it with your own Google Calendar, Mobile Calendar, or Outlook Calendars. Check calendar for times and locations. December 2012Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat 1 Quick Books SG: Blue Springs / Independence Inv. Wichita REIA2 3 4 5 6 7 8SG: Lees Summit SG: Weekly Wed. SG: Connected Inves- SG: Blue Springs /Investors Network Networking tors—NEW Independence Inv.9 10 11 12 13 14 15SG: Lees Summit Deadline: Vendor MAREI KC South SG: Weekly Wed. KCIG Meets Deadline: Properties SG: Blue Springs /Investors Network Tables for KC South Networking & Articles for January Independence Inv. Meeting Shawnee County LL Meeting Newsletter16 17 18 19 20 21 22SG: Lees Summit Omaha REIA SG: Weekly Wed. SG: Blue Springs /Investors Network Networking Independence Inv.23 24 25 26 27 28 29SG: Lees Summit January SG: Blue Springs /Investors Network Independence Inv. Newsletter Published30 31 1 2 3 Deadline: Vendor MAREI KC North Tables for KC North Meeting Meeting