1. Digital Journey 2011 Jocelyn Ashley Howick Primary School Year 1/2February - Learning@Schools conference, Rotorua - learnt about brain-based learning and how to introduce mobile technology (ipad/ipod touch) into the classroom. - began teaching Comic Life to my classMarch/April/May - teaching how to drag and drop photos into a CL page without changing the frames. - how to add titles and names - how to save to R14 folder in StudentsJune/July - teaching how to how to select a Comic frame to use - how to put in speech bubbles - how to adjust the text size and font - how to take great photos on a digital camera - how to critique our photos after downloading them
2. August/September - continue teaching basic set-up skills with CL - teach digital art using the functions in CL - students now able to put together a CL page mostly independently or with peer support - introduced an ipad to the class for literacy - research suitable apps to use with Year 1/2 - used ipod touch devices in class - learnt how to set up a wiki for my class David Kinane October - ULearn2011 in Rotorua. Main points: - how to integrate ipads/mobile devices into the classroom - what does inquiry learning supported with elearning look like in a junior classroom - suitable apps for ipads for the classroom - BYOD: advice from those schools who have gone down this path - the importance of being nimble in our approach to teaching and to lead the way as we are already in the second decade of the 21st century. November - use the ipad regularly to support my literacy programme - chn will rotate around the one computer in R14 to create a CL page about their year in 2011 at school.
3. Comic Life in theJunior School
4. Start with small groups - 4 at a time is good. Teach how to click, drag and drop photos intothe frames. Show how to add name and title. Type it forthem. Put in background colour.
5. Children’s reflections ‘I like putting the pictures in.’ ‘I like Comic Life because it is cool and fun.’ ‘We get to do speech bubbles.’ ‘I like putting the colour in.’ ‘I like how we put all kinds of pictures inside.’It is fun choosing the photos and putting them in.’ ‘I like putting in my name.’ I like choosing the colour for my background.’ ‘ I like writing in the speech bubbles.’
6. Topic: Autumn
7. The students used the digital cameras to take photos around the school of what Autumn meant to them.
8. We downloaded them and critiqued them, then went and took more photos as we learnt how to use the cameras properly.
9. The students worked together to create an Autumn Comic Life page with speech bubbles using topic words.
10. Children’s reflections ‘I liked taking photos that were beautiful.’ ‘I like how I took photos of things that we love in Autumn.’‘I like zooming out and in and taking pictures of Autumn trees.’ ‘It was a little bit hard when we were using the cameras.’ ‘It was fun taking the pictures.’‘It was hard taking photos that were not blurred.’
11. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs
12. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter
13. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter• Teacher conferences and scribes eachchosen word correctly
14. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter• Teacher conferences and scribes eachchosen word correctly• Teach children how to open a Google pageand a Comic Life page, and then swapbetween the two
15. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter• Teacher conferences and scribes eachchosen word correctly• Teach children how to open a Google pageand a Comic Life page, and then swapbetween the two• Children search up images of their words
16. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter• Teacher conferences and scribes eachchosen word correctly• Teach children how to open a Google pageand a Comic Life page, and then swapbetween the two• Children search up images of their words• Click, drag, drop into the frames
17. Class Alphabet Book• Children work in pairs• Brainstorm words that start with theirletter• Teacher conferences and scribes eachchosen word correctly• Teach children how to open a Google pageand a Comic Life page, and then swapbetween the two• Children search up images of their words• Click, drag, drop into the frames• Add names
18. Children’s reflections ‘It was fun when you got to pick pictures.’ ‘It was fun choosing lots of things but it was tricky dragging them to my page.’‘Some of the pictures were wrong and we had to search again.’ ‘It was fun when I chose the controller on the wheel.’ ‘We could not decide which picture to put into the page.’
19. Digital Art -distorting/enhancing images with Comic Life
20. The students chose one of their photos and made a blank CL page with 2 images on it. Then they distorted the bottom photo using the Select button.
21. Children’s reflections‘I liked choosing the colours of my other picture.’ ‘I liked doing all the colours that were beautiful.’’ ‘I liked changing the pictures.’ ‘I couldn’t decide which way to change my photo!’ ‘There were lots of different styles to choose from.’ ‘Wow! My digital art looks really cool!’ ‘I liked the different colours in my picture.’
22. LongTerm ICTPlans2001 Text
23. Text Long Term ICTAutumn Plans 2001 Text
24. Sample of Planning in Room 14 Text
25. Reflection on PlanningMy pedagogy is changing as I realise that IT devices can be used inclass all day to enhance the student’s learning. My planning has beenvery basic this year, with all the things I want to teach the studentsput in one place - the IT block - on my timetable.However, I am now experimenting with a much more integrated planwhere there is IT devices used and highlighted throughout the week indifferent curriculum areas. I am looking forward to having more ipadsand at least one up-to-date iMac next year so that I can rely on therebeing enough IT devices that actually work in my class for group work.I can see I need to practice with the apps and googledocs that I wantto use in the class so that I become an expert and can guide thestudents and help them use the IT devices throughout the day.Click on this link to see a prezi I made on ipads.http://prezi.com/aq7hgme4rma0/ulearn11/
26. Reflection on 2011My Year 1/2 class have become quite independent with using Comic Life andGoogle to present their work/ideas/recounts. They have worked together wellin buddies and reading groups. Often we have completed out IT work back inthe classroom, working on the class computer and they are becoming moreindependent at this.It has been a big learning curve this year as we have begun to seriously lookat introducing mobile technology to the school. I have learnt that you justhave to get in and lead with the technology and make mistakes - as SimonBreakspear says (ULearn11) it is through failure that we can learn to succeed.I would like to spend more time giving the class the chance to have iplaytime with the ipads so we can learn from each other and integrate it into ourcurriculum areas one at a time.As we get more mobile devices to use in our classes it will be important thatteachers know the apps they are using and why - how do they enhance thechildren’s learning? I am going to spend time in Term 4 getting to know theapps I learnt about from successful elearning teachers at ULearn.I have benefitted from the help and ideas shared amongst the cluster schoolsand I look forward to the next steps we will be making as a school.
27. Skills I have learnt this year:•how to lead a Junior class through Comic Life•how to use ‘Grab’ to capture screen images•how to put together a Keynote presentation properly•how to use a data show projector•how to create digital art with Comic Life•how to add widgets to a class wiki•how to upload children’s work to a wiki•how to use an ipad•how to download apps and use the iTunes app store•how to tell if an app will be suitable for my class•how to use Shape Collage•How to use Wordle•How to use voice capture to enhance children’s learning and forformative assessment•how to make a prezi