Dear friends ! I’m glad to greet you in one of the oldest cities of Europe. The history of Chernihiv extends back over 1300 years. During this time the city passed through ups and downs, but has always been and still remains one of the most powerful cultural and industrial centers of the country. Our advantage with the others is geographical location of Chernihiv region. We have common border with Russia and Belarus. Also Chernihiv is located not far from the capital of Ukraine, Kyiv (140 km.). The availability of natural, recreational and labor resources, high levels of education, environment, architectural monuments of different eras, especially the unique ancient temples of Old Russ, period create a unique atmosphere of the city. This atmosphere is not only pleasant to live and rest, but also favorable for the accomplishment of new labor achievements. Hardworking, sincere and decent people live in Chernihiv, who wholeheartedly welcome guests and all those interested in our city. I hope that Chernihiv will meet all your expectations. Best regards Chernihiv City Mayor O. V. Sokolov
General information Area : 79 km 2 Historical centre (1300 years ) The centre of Chernihiv region (1,1 m . people ) Population of the city : 29 6,9 thousand people Climat : temperate continental
Distance from Chernihiv to … The city borders on Russia and Belarus and is located on the crossroads of transport routes: water, rail, overland, air. Major transit cross-border flows pass along the road s of national importance Kyiv-Zhytomyr-New Yarylovychi which passes through Chernihiv bypass highway and coincides with the international highway E-95 trap Saint Petersburg - Pskov - Gomel - Kiev and the direction of Crete transport corridor № 9 Helsinki – Saint Peteresburg – Minsk (Moscow) – Kyiv – (Kyshinev) (Odessa) - Dmitrovograd Kyiv – 140 km Minsk – 408 km Moscow – 732 km Warsaw – 806 km Riga - 88 3 km Prague – 1370 km Sofia – 1422 km
Transport communication City transport . Direct communication between Chernihiv and Kyiv. Transport lines of the city consist of 42 bus and 11 trolleybus routes. River transport. River port operates in Chernihiv, which has passenger and cargo fleet. Railway transport. There are direct railway routes from Chernihiv to Kyiv, Moscow, Minsk, St. Petersburg, Odessa, Simferopol.
Rivers Desna, Bilous and Stryzhen’ flow through the territory of the city. There are five reservoirs at the territory of Chernihiv. Even the metropolitan water supply system uses a large amount of water from the river Desna. But Chernihiv uses pure artesian water, with properties not inferior to artesian and spring water. Favorable geographical conditions and communal work helped to transform the city into a real green zone. The total area of green space for general use, according to technical inventory in 1990 is 665.66 hectares. Urban forests and forest plantations occupy an area of 583.91 hectares
Chernihiv belongs to the oldest cities of Europe. According to archaeological researches, the forming of the city began about 1300 years ago. There were three stone cathedrals and princely courts in the town at the beginning of the second Christian millennium. Two more stone cult buildings appeared a little bit later. Thanks to location on crossroads of important trade-routes economics and politics in the city developed very quickly. In a few ages Chernihiv grew into a rich and strongly fortified city which could rival with the “mother of all Rus cities” – Kyiv. The first record of Chernihiv dates back to 907, the city was mentioned as the second city after Kyiv, in the pact of Prince Oleg with the Byzantine Empire. Nowadays 32 objects that are included to the State register of national cultural property, 39 architectural monuments of local value and many cultural, art and archaeological sights are located on the territory of the city. The city with its historical monuments entesr the previous list of World inheritance of UNESCO.
Monuments of the past 1300 - years history didn’t pass for nothing ... - 13 monuments of national importance - 32 monuments of local importance - 32 historical sites of monumental art - 36 archaeological sites - 5 monuments of pre-Mongolian period The oldest church in Eastern Europe ... And much more!
The Val is the most ancient part of Chernihiv. Here on the upper plateau of the high right bank of the Desna River in the place where it meets the Stryzhen, one of its tributaries, an ancient stronghold appeared in the last quarter of the Vll century. The Val
The Cathedral is one of the most ancient temples of Ukraine-Rus’. It is situated in the historic area of Chernihiv, in the center of former Dytynets’ (Citadel). It was the main architectural dominant of the city. Thanks to high towers flanking the back facade it is still playing the role of an important dominant. The construction of the cathedral started approximately in 1033-1034 by the order of first chronically-known Chernihiv prince Mstyslav Volodymyrovych. Chronicles first mention “the church of Holy Saviour” in 1036 when prince Mstyslav suddenly died. By that time the walls of the cathedral had been built as high as the equestrian standing in the stirrups with hands up (nearly 4 meters). Spaso- P reobrazhenskyi (Or Saviour’s) Cathedral
The first glimpse of Chernihiv to greet a traveler driving up the Kyiv highway are the Boldin Hills, crowned with golden cupolas of churches. The Boldin Hills are a calling card of our city, witnesses of its ancient times. Their name originated from the old Slav word "bold“ which meant "oak". The remains of venerable oak forests are preserved in the western part of the Boldin Hills in the locality Maliyiv Riv. Rising over the Desna River floodlands to the height of more than 35 meters and embracing them in a wide arch, the Boldin Hills dominate Chernihiv’s landscape. As far back as pagan times, they were a sacred place to local inhabitants. The Boldin Hills
The Anthony caves of the Trinity-Elijah monastery in Chernihiv are the monument of underground religious architecture of the XI-XIX centuries. They were founded in 1069 as a Christian cave monastery by Prince Svaytoslav Yaroslavytch and by Anthony Pechersky, a well known religious figure of Kievan Rus, a native of Lubetch and also the founder of Kiev Pecherska Lavra. The Anthony caves According to the chronicle, the monastery was originally named "Bogorodytsky" (the monastery of the Mother of God). The chronicle says that Anthony came to Chernihiv to escape the anger of Prince Izayslav. He liked the Boldyny hills very much and dug out a cave there. Ever since that time the monastery of the Mother of God has existed on the Boldin hills.
The Boris and Hlib Cathedral was built by Chernihiv prince Davyd Svyatoslavovych in the XII century on the foundation of the XI century. Like other Chernihiv architectural monuments it was destroyed several times and then was rebuilt. In 1627 the Boris and Hlib Cathedral was transformed into Dominican Catholic church. In 1672 the bell-tower was attached to the Cathedral. In the XVIII century it was five-domed. In 1700, during the building of Chernihiv The Boris and Hlib Cathedral Collegium, the silver idol was found. According to people's beliefs this silver couldn't be used because of its bad, devilry influence. But people also couldn't throw it out because silver was considered a precious metal. So they decided to make silver gates of the iconostas. The Cathedral was extremely damaged during the Second World War. In 1952 – 1988 the Cathedral was restored and was renewed into starting forms of the Old Russian architecture.
The Ye letsky Uspensky Monastery The Yeletsky Uspensky Monastery The architectural ensemble of the Yeletsky Uspensky monastery is placed on the high right bank of the Desna River, between the ancient Chernihiv Dytynets (the territory of modern Val) and Trinity-Elijah monastery. It created the historical panorama of Chernihiv together with the other preserved monuments of architecture. A well known legend says that the Uspensky monastery was founded by Prince Svyatoslav Yaroslavovych in the middle of the Xl century when he found the icon of the Virgin on one of the fir-trees in this locality while out hunting. That event was dated February 3, 1060 (old style). According to the same legend, the father of the Rus monkhood, Anthony, lived in the monastery for some time. In the middle of the Xll century a brick temple was erected on the site where the icon of the Virgin appeared. It was a monumental architectural structure for that time. The Yeletsky monastery was closed at the end of 1921, and it was opened again only at the beginning of the 1990s. A nunnery was founded here at that time.
Chorna mohyla (Black grave) burial mound The majestic burial mound Chorna Mohyla is located near Yeletsky monastery in Chernihiv. It is one of the biggest Old Russian barrows of the X century which has remained till nowdays. The legend tells that there lies prince Chorny, who was the founder of the town and gave it his name. The proportions of the barrow are impressive: the diameter is 40 m, circumference is 125 m, the present height is 11 m. In the past it was moated with the ditch 7 m wide. In 1872-1873 the mound was explored by famous native Chernihiv archeologist Dmytro Yakovych Samokvasov. A man and a woman were buried in the mound according to the cremation ceremony. They were buried in complete ammunition and occupied the middle part of the bonfire site. Near the man there were some arms: two swords, a sable, a spear, a saddle with stirrups, some shreds of hauberk, a helmet, arrowheads, and a shield with copper binding at the feet. Near the arms there was an iron vessel with sheep bones and bronze brazier with coals.
Pyatnytska church in Chernihiv is a unique work of art of the last period of Old-Russian architecture. The church was built at the end of the XII – at the beginning of the XIII century at Chernihiv trading quarter near the market square and named in honour of Saint Paraskeva Pyatnytsya – the patroness of trade, farming, family. Pyatnytska church represents the greatest achievement of the last pre-Mongolian period in the development of architecture. Pyatnytska church The temple suffered many destructions and reconstructions. During 1943-45 years the conservation work was held, and in 1962 the restoration in its supposed primary form according to the project of a famous Russian restorer P. Baranovsky had been finished. The present look of the temple represents the reconstruction in its primary forms.
St. Catherine church was built in the Ukrainian Baroque style in honor of heroism of Chernihiv Cossacks regiment showed up during the assault of turkey fortress Azov in 1696 under the commandment of Chernihiv colonel Yakiv Lyzohub. The church was sanctified in 1715 and hasn’t had great changing since that time . St. Catherine church
In the western part of the city on a high hill one of the most interesting and picturesque architectural complexes of Ukraine of late XVII-XVIII centuries – St. Trinity – St. Elijah monastery is situated. The creation of this magnificent monastery complex is connected with ancient underground St. Elijah monastery and refers to the time when Ukraine survived a turning point in its historic development after the National Liberation War of 1648-1654. The main building of this magnificent complex is St. Trinity Cathedral, situated almost in the center of the monastery yard. It was founded in 1679 with a direct participation of archbishop Lazar Baranovych and financial support of hetman Ivan Mazepa according to the project of architect Johann Baptist Zauer. St. Trinity Cathedral
Collegium In the center of Chernihiv on the border of former fortress rampart – ancient historical center, one of the most wonderful buildings of the city, now known as Collegium, is situated. Once this building was included to the cathedral Borys and Hlib monastery - residence of Chernihiv archbishops. Chernihiv archbishop Lazar Baranovych, who moved in Chernihiv in 1672, started to expand the cathedral. Maybe, the building of a refectory was started on his initiative. In 1700 – 1702 Chernihiv archbishop Ioann Maksymovych got encouragement and financing from hetman Ivan Mazepa and built a bell-tower attached to it. During the foundation digging a silver idol was found. Silver Holy gates for cathedral monastery were made of it. Hetman Ivan Mazepa’s emblem was also engraved on the gates. In the end of the XIX century a porch in Russian architecture style was attached to the western side of the dome. Nowadays the administration of National architectural-historical park “Chernihiv ancient” is situated here.
Yakiv Lyzohub’s House (The Building of Regimental Chancellery) It was built in 1690s on the territory of Dytynets (Citadel) not far from the castle ditch. Originally it belonged to Chernihiv colonel Yakiv Lyzohub, but after his death in 1698 – to hetman Ivan Mazepa. In the XVIII century there was situated Regimental Chancellery of Chernihiv Cossack Regiment, and from the end of the XVIII century till the beginning of the XX it was the archive. It is necessary to note, that this is the only monument of civil architecture of Ukraine of the end of the XVII century that has remained in a good condition. Yakiv Lyzohub’s House suffered damages during the fires in 1718 and 1750. In the latter half of the XVIII century the tambour, decorated with figured frontons, was added to the northern facade and one more small tambour was arranged as the entrance to the cellar from the yard. In one of the vaults the hatch to the attic was cut through. In the XIX century the ovens were destroyed, new windows were cut through in the eastern and western facades, the covering of a roof was changed for a tin covering. The house was restored in 1954 and 1969. Nowadays it is the part of National architectural-historical park “Ancient Chernihiv”.
Chernihiv repeatedly became the arena of hostilities during its history. The city was ruined 8 times since the Mongol-Tatar invasion in 1239. Last great destruction was during World War II, the city entered into the list or the most ruined cities in Europe. But , thanks to inhabitants’ tireless hands and deep sense of patriotism Chernihiv can rise from the ashes.
There are many famous people to have lived and worked in Chernihiv. Among them Pushkin, Shevchenko, Gogol. Chernihiv land gave the world the saints Anthony Pechersky and Feodosy Uglitsky . Famous writer Myhaylo Kotsyubynsky and poet and fabulist Leonid Glibov lived and created in Chernihiv . Hetman of Ukraine Kyrylo Razumovsky and President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma were natives of Chernihiv region.
Industrial sector of Chernihiv nowadays includes : 855 industrial units : joint-stock companies – 72, economic societies – 435, PE – 277. Industry is generally represented by such enterprises as MEC “ Chernihiv TPP " Firm “ TechNova ” LLC Open JSC « Chernihiv « Khimvolokno », Closed JSC « Worsted and Carded Company C heksil » Open JSC « CheZaRa » Open JSC «І nstrumental plant », “ Chernihiv plant of construction materials ” LLC , Closed JSC « Chernihiv factory of willow goods », Closed JSC « Mlybor ».
Chernihiv belongs to the type of cities with relatively high level of industrial development . Industrial complex of the city, having significant share in the real sector of economy of the city, considerably influences the level and quality of life of city inhabitants . Industrial enterprises of the city went through a deep economic crisis , and beginning since 1999, stood on the way of post-crisis development , that means stabilization and rebirth of production . One of the peculiarities of industrial infrastructure of the city is that most of industrial facilities are located outside residential areas of the city
Basic industries : Food industry , light industry , chemical production , machine-building , metallurgy and metal-works . Structure of manufactured industrial goods and services based on main activities in 2010. Production and distribution of electric power, gas and water Production of food and beverages Light industry Chemical and oil-chemical industry Metallurgy and production of ready-made metal products Machine-building Other
Small enterprise Small enterprise of the city as on January 01 , 2011 : 2025 enterprises . Economic entities in Chernihiv city according to their activities as on January 01 2011. Industrial production Services Trade
Foreign economic and investment activities Volume of exports within 9 months of 2010 р.: $ 75904 thousands Volume of imports within 9 months of 2010: $ 94694,7 thousands Direct foreign investment as on January 01, 201 1: $ 24 636,8 thousands Direct foreign investment for one resident : $ 82 , 98 Total capital of non-residents as on 01.10.2010 : $ 22 144,1 thousands Geographic structure of direct foreign investment within 9 months of 201 0 . Italy Poland Russian Federation Other USA United Kingdom British Virgin Islands Cyprus Seychelles
Biggest employers Closed JSC « Worsted and Carded Company C heksil » www.ksk.com.ua Sector Production of woolen and half-woolen fabrics
Biggest employers Open JSC « Chernihiv Khimvolokno » www.him.com.ua Sector Production of chemical fibres, threads, fabrics
Biggest employers Open JSC « ChZaRa » www.chezara.com Sector Production of electrical-technical equipment
Biggest employers Group of companies «МАГР» www.magr.com.ua Sector Production of wood-processing equipment
Biggest employers LTD «Тан» www.tan.com.ua Sector Production of equipment for fat-and-oil industry
Biggest employers Open JSC « Domobudivnyk » Sector Construction
Biggest employers Chernihiv Branch of Open JSC « SUN Interbrew Ukraine » www.suninterbrew.ua Sector Brewery
Biggest employers Open JSC « Food Company « Yasen » www.yasen.ua Sector Production of confectionary and beverages
Community property consists of: 549 streets with total length of 359.3 km including main streets and roads of municipal and county level - 86.7 km. The total number of lamps involved in the outdoor lighting system of the city is 15,150 units. The length of air networks of external lighting of the city is 520 km, cable lines - 48.2 km, the number of meters of electric energy - 149 units.
Education and professional training 4 universities and the Institute (11 thousand students): - Pedagogical university ; - Technological university ; - Institute of economy and management ; - Institute for Law, social technologies and labour 7 colleges and technical schools (4 thousand students) 8 vocational schools (5 thousand students) 35 secondary schools 56 pre-schools
Healthcare Medical care of residents and guests of the city is carried by seven clinics, 11 hospitals and five clinics, including 21 of city municipal property and 2 of departmental. The city operates dialysis center "Fresenius” equipped with modern Fresenius 5008 dialysis apparatus, which is used in Ukraine for the first time.
Chernihiv Oblast Art Museum was founded in 1983 and located in the building of the former girls' school on the territory of the Val . National architectural-historical park "Ancient Chernihiv” was created on February 20, 1967. Chernihiv Oblast Historical Tarnovsky Museum is one of the oldest and richest museums in Ukraine.