Be the first to like this
Today, everything has to be patched. From desktop and laptop to server and every operating system in between. With compliance, what we have to pay attention to is what’s actually out there on our network – not just what you wish were there.
Servers (Windows, UNIX and Linux)Even Windows-centric environments have at least a few UNIX or Linux servers that need to be secure and patched. Linux and UNIX servers often fulfill critical functions with few and short maintenance windows. These can be a real pain point for admins who specialize in Windows or are managed by an entirely different admin.
Desktops (Windows and Macs)Maybe you are responsible for desktops instead of servers. Again it’s not just a Windows story any more. More and more people are opting for Macs instead of Windows. Watch the vulnerability lists and you’ll see that Macs need patching too.
The kicker though is the 80/20 rule. If at least 80% of the computers on your network are Windows and the remaining 20% are everything else – it’s a safe bet, given the maturity and ease of WSUS, that 20% of your patching effort goes to Windows but 80% of your effort is consumed with patching all the different flavors of UNIX, Linux and your Mac computers. We need one system to manage all our patches and one pane of glass to prove compliance from data center to desktop.
Believe it or not System Center 2012 R2 provides the infrastructure to do just that – it just needs a little help. Last time we showed you how you can patch 3rd party apps on Windows through System Center Update Manager. This time we’ll show you how you can patch non-Windows systems using the new System Center clients for UNIX, Linux and Mac.
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.