Beyond the Woods
Teddy Bears’ Picnic
• The genre of our film will be psychological
thriller/horror. We have decided this as our
film will have the capacity to frighten, scare
and shock the viewers due to the scenes that
will be filmed and the storyline. As well as
frightening the viewers it will also create
tension and excitement with the jumpy scenes
and plot twist, which will mean that the film
will feed into the thriller genre.
• Mama is the film that inspired us to
create this horror/thriller film as we
liked the setting of the woods. We also
liked the idea of including a prop, such
as a doll or teddy bear. We agreed
that these things would give the film
• a creepier feel.
• The plot of our film follows two young girls who get
lost in the woods. They find another slightly older
girl who tries to help them find their way home.
However, they later discover the girl is actually a
ghost who was murdered and wants people to have
the same fate as her, luring them further into the
woods and into danger.
• In order to estimate the price of the cost of the film, I
have researched into film types that are similar. One in
particular which is fairly similar to the film we are going
to create is Mama. When researching the facts and
figures for the production cost of this film I found that it
had a budget of $15 million.
• Another similar film is House at the End
of the Street, which had a budget of
• Our film will use unknown actors and an
easily accessible setting, therefore will
have a low budget of around
$10 million, in the middle of the two
films we researched.
• Mama made $146,428,180 at the box office.
• House at the End of the Street made
$42,781,908 at the box office.
• Judging from these estimates, we think our
box office estimate will be in between these
figures, of $80 - $90 million.
• We would release our film on October
31st, the date of Halloween.
• This is because it is a psychological
thriller/horror and would appeal to more
people as they would like to see a scary film to
fit the mood of Halloween.
• This would also help it make more money at
the box office.
• The general target audience of horror/thriller
films are aged between 15 and 25, normally
teenagers/young adults. This is because they
enjoy being scared, sometimes having
tendencies to be more daring and brave. It
would also most likely appeal to males more,
as they tend to be more thrill seekers.
However I have discovered through research
that recently more females are going to see
• We thought Ben Wheatley would be a suitable
director for our film as he is quite unknown.
• He as also directed Kill List (2011), which is
also a horror/thriller, the same as our film.
• We have chosen unknown child stars as
our budget is low, therefore will pay them
less. However, we have tried to find actors
that have featured in horror/thriller films.
• Gracie Whitton is a child actor who has
appeared in other horror/thriller films such
as; Scary Movie 5 (2013), Trespass (2011),
Blood Reunion (2012), and a new
upcoming film which is called The Town
That Dreaded Sunlight.
• Ava Kolker is a child actor who has also
appeared in Scary Movie 5 (2013), along
with a TV show American Horror Story
which is similar to our genre.
• Madison Pettis is a teenage actress who is
known for more family films, such as The
Game Plan (2007).
• However, we agreed the overall
look of her fits our image of our
third main character, the ghost
of the girl who tries to deceive
the younger girls.