The first step I took in creating the first draft of my magazine was adjusting thebackground. I had already taken this photo up on a hill near my house. But as I hadtaken it in the autumn season, it was very dull and didn’t represent the country musicgenre that I was aiming for. I decided early on that I would use this picture for thebackdrop for my main image. I decided to adjust it to make the scene look like it wasspring or summer as this fits with country music more. I used the colour replacementtool to do this, I picked my colour of sky blue and coloured the whole sky in this colour,zooming in closely to avoid going over the edges. While it looks obviously edited andfake, once I add the main image, masthead and everything else, it will be less obvious.
The next of creating my draft was the editing of the main imagebefore I added it to the background shown in the slide earlier. Toget rid of the background, I used the magic wand and select tool.Although at some times, I had to zoom in to delete any other bitsof background that the magic wand and quick select tool failed topick up.
After placing my main image in a separate file over mybackground. To make it look more realistic I decided tozoom in even closer and erase any more tiny bits ofbackground that minimize its realism. After I did this, Iadded a very subtle shadow effect make it blend into thebackground and increase it’s realism.
After cutting out the background the same way as I didwith my main image, I decided to add an effect to mymasthead to make it look more 3D and stand out amongthe background and main image. So, I added a the beveland emboss effect which I think really makes it stand outmore that it did previously.
Next, I first of all adjusted the lighting and brightness in my main image to makeit fit into my background better. I also added in the masthead and placed itbehind my main image so the head of my model slightly covers it, I did this as it’sa common convention for magazine front covers and adds realism. Lastly, I addedin my barcode as this is again an important convention of a magazine. I added awhite box above it and clearly stated the issue number, the date, the price andthe website for my magazine as a lot of magazines put these bits of informationin the same position.
Next, I came up with the name for my artist and added this as aheadline. I coloured it in the same colour as the sky in thebackground, as blue is one of my main colours in the front cover. Ialso added a stroke effect to make it more visible and added thebevel and emboss effect to make it look more 3D. Then, I added aquote underneath as part of the headline and I also used the strokeand bevel and emboss effect.
Next, I added in one small feature and a plug. “The 2012 Hot List” wasinspired by a Rolling Stone cover that I have mentioned earlier. I createdthis earlier with some boxes and text. I also added a bevel and embosseffect to again make it look more 3D. The plug was created using a circle,some text and some small pictures. I added a bevel and emboss effect onthe circle to make it look more like a sticker and I also added a stroke effecton the text to make it more noticeable. I also added two pictures, one ofthe gibson logo and a gibson guitar to show the prize.
The next part of the process was adding my main features. I decided early on thatI would have a small number of features on my front page due the fact that mybackground adds much more depth as it is. I added these using the text box tooland I coloured them in blue and white which are two of my colour choices. Then, Iused the stroke effect to make the text stand out. I used the font sizing option toadjust the font size to fit my needs. The final touch was adding a picture of thealbum that the feature was based on. I used the bevel and emboss tool to make itlook more 3D to give my magazine more depth. I also rotated it slightly to make itlook like it’s on a slant.
The next part of the process was creating the banner for the frontcover of my music magazine. I used a box in one of my chosencolours, sky blue. And I added a transparency effect to make itblend in better with the magazine and look elegant. I decided afterthat that I would use this as a feature as well as a banner. I addedthe title of this feature using the text box tool and used the fill toolto make this title in one of my three chosen colours, light red orpink.
I then came up with a very spontaneous idea that I feel was one of the best decisionsI’ve made with my magazine. I came up with names of all the different country andfolk artists and typed the name in the text box. I started with Faith Hill, as this wasmy first, I made it the biggest of my artist names, I then placed it into a sector of thebox. I added all the different artist but made them differentiate in size and madethem all fit into place like a collage, so there was no gaps in the box. I then added astroke effect onto each of the artist names to make them stand out as they were allin a white font. And that was the last step into making the first draft of my musicmagazine!