2. TEXT• The activities in this class were designed in accordance with the following text: RENZO PIANO: a biography in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renzo_Piano
3. OVERALL OBJECTIVES:• Familiarize yourself with the text.• Get the gist.• Determine the topic.• Determine the text organization.• Identify unknown words to look up in the dictionary• Add the words you find useful to your personal glossary.• Scan for numbers and proper nouns.
4. PREVIEWING• Look at the text. Observe the text as an outsider.• Look at the title, headings, subtitles, pictures, graphs, and all visual aids. Analize them.• Recall any knowledge you already have about the topic.• Think about this topic and make suitable questions. What would you like to find out? What would you like the author to tell you about that topic?• What kind of information does a biography typically include?
5. WHAT DO YOU KNOWABOUT RENZO PIANO?
6. DESCRIBE THE PICTURES
7. SKIMMING• Read the full text quickly, without stopping. Don’t worry about what you don’t understand. Focus on general ideas.• ACTIVITIES: Identify the following items:a. cognates: transparent words from one language toanother (words that are written similarly in English andSpanish).Eg: biography, architect, Milano.b. typographic changes: words inbold, italics, underlined, etc.Eg: San Giovanni Rotondo
8. SKIMMINGc. repetition: words that share the same root even ifthey have different endings, and are repeatedthroughout the text.Eg: was (to be, past) also (también) museum(museo) remains (permanecer) work (trabajo) design(diseño) project (proyecto) has (tener) buildings(edificios) in (en) as (como) they (ellos) or (o) and (y)
9. SKIMMINGd. numbers: stated in numbers or words.Eg: 14: the day he was borne. dictionary words (glossary): useful words to look upin the dictionary and memorize.Eg: workshop (n. taller) skyscraper (n. rascacielos)engineer (n. ingeniero) early (adj. temprano, primero)such as (con. Tal como) through (prep. A través de)as well as (con. Así como) well (adv. Bien) venue (n.recinto) kind (n. tipo) largEST (el más - grande)
10. SCANNING• Read the text quickly to find specific information.• Think about the words you want to find in English.• Quickly identify the suitable paragraph or section of text.• Stop reading once you’ve found what you were looking for.
11. SCANNING ACTIVITIES• Scan all the numbers in the text: say what they refer to:Eg: 14, 1937: refer to the day and year of RenzoPiano’s birth• Scan all the proper nouns and say what they refer to:Eg: Genoa: is an Italian city, where Piano was born.