Lesson 8: Using the Web for Research
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Lesson 8: Using the Web for Research

on

  • 58 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
58
Views on SlideShare
52
Embed Views
6

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0

1 Embed 6

https://duquesne.blackboard.com 6

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Lesson 8: Using the Web for Research Lesson 8: Using the Web for Research Presentation Transcript

    • Using Web Sources for Research
    • • The perfect search engine “understands exactly what you mean AND gives you back exactly what you want” -- Larry Page (Google co-founder)
    • Keyword Matching Ranking Algorithm • Relevance • Popularity • Currency
    • - comScore, Sept. 11, 2013 67% 18% 11% 3% 1% Google Bing Yahoo Ask AOL Percentage of search queries conducted
    • • Keyword searching: choose the right terms! • AND is assumed: If want info on voting AND youth, type in: voting youth • OR have to type in OR: If want info on diversity OR multiculturalism, type in: diversity OR multiculturalism
    • • Can search for synonyms with “~” ~college Searches not only for college, but also for any synonyms of college, like university
    • • Exact phrases: To search for an exact phrase or name, put it in quotation marks “higher education” • Limit search to top level domain: To find sites that have the same kind of top level domain (e.g., .edu, .gov) site:.edu site:.gov
    • • Search engines index less than 10% of the entire Web! • The remaining 90% = Invisible Web!
    • • Experience • Limit to Top Level Domain • Evaluate using CRAAP Test or other model • Ask a Professor or Librarian
    • • Limit your searches to particular types of websites: • .gov • .org • .edu • .com • Google search: • Google search limited to govt sites Women combat us military Women combat us military site:.gov
    • • Currency • Relevance • Authority • Accuracy • Purpose
    • • Single search • Search the entire library collection at once
    • • NLT 11:59 pm Friday, May 2 • 90 points • Assignment rubric and grading criteria are in Week 8 module • Submit as a document (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) in the Discussion Board