Name: __________________________ Score: ______________
Course & Year: ___________________ Date: ______________
Quiz No. 2 (Midterm)
BIO 02a – General Ecology
I. IDENTIFICATION. Identify the term described in each of the following statements.
_____________1. The global sum of all ecosystem.
_____________2. A type of ecosystem defined largely by sets of regional climatic conditions and
Named according to vegetation structure and animals present.
_____________3. Group of various species that interact in a given environment.
_____________4. A community of organisms and its environment functioning as an ecological unit.
_____________5. Group of organisms belonging to the same species that are living in the same area.
II. MULTIPLE CHOICE. Encircle the correct answer.
1. A forest of tall trees in a region of year-round warmth.
a. Tropical Rainforest b. Temperate Deciduous forest c. Savannah
2. A biome characterized of extremely hot and dry climate with less than 10 inches of rain a year.
a. Semi-desert b. Temperate Grasslands c. Desert
3. A big open space dominated by grasses rather than large shrubs and trees.
a. Chaparral b. Temperate Grasslands c. Tundra
4. It is characterized by the trees being sufficiently widely spaced where the open canopy allows light
to reach the ground.
a. Savannah b. Temperate Evergreen forest c. Taiga
5. A Forests that is rich in soil and dominated by trees that lose their leaves seasonally.
a. Temperate Deciduous forest b. Tropical Rainforest c. Chaparral
6. Also known as “Boreal forests” mostly with coniferous trees and have cold, long, snowy winters,
and warm, humid summers
a. Mountain Zone b. Tundra c. Taiga
7. A forest consisting entirely or mainly of evergreen trees that retain green foliage all year round.
a. Temperate Evergreen forest b. Warm Moist Evergreen forest c. Tropical Rainforest
8. A forest that is frost-free with temperatures high enough to support year-round plant growth given
a. Tropical Rainforest b. Tropical Moonsoon forest c. Temperate Deciduous forest
9. A biome where the tree growth is hindered by low temperatures and short growing seasons wherein
it covers 1/5 of the Earth’s surface.
a. Taiga b. Polar ice c. Tundra
10. A biome that can be found in every continent with exception to opposite poles due to extreme
a. Mountain Zone b. Temperate Grasslands c. Tundra
11. It is known as high and low-altitude areas where the sun is weak enough to freeze water.
a. Polar ice b. Tundra c. Taiga
12. Characterized by shrubby plants and small trees that are drought-resistant.
a. Tropical Monsoon forest b. Tundra c. Chaparral
13. Arid grasslands receive between 4 and 12 inches of rain per year with hot and dry climate.
a. Semi-desert b. Desert c. Savannah
14. Primarily found in tropics, near the equator.
a. Temperate Deciduous forest b. Savannah c. Temperate grassland
15. The finnish word “ tunturia” is where the term tundra originated that means __________.
a. mountain b. Treeless plain c. Frozen plain