8. POSSESSIVE CASEWHY DO WE USE POSSESSIVE CASE FOR? WE USE POSSESSIVE CASE TO EXPRESS POSSESSION.
9. GRAMMATICAL RULES:1. WE USE ‘S FOR ANIMALS AND 4. WE USE ‘S FOR ORGANIZATIONS AND GROUPSPEOPLE(TO EXPRESS POSSESSION). OF PEOPLE.EXAMPLE: EXAMPLE: Trade unions elections (= the elections of the- My fathers car trade unions= Elecciones de los sindicatos)- The tigers teeth The companys result (= the results of the2. WE USE ‘S FOR PLACES AND TIME company= resultados de la compañía)EXPRESSIONS. 5. WE USE ‘S ONLY FOR SINGULAR. WHEN YOU WANT TOEXAMPLE: EXPRESS POSSESSION IN PLURAL SO YOU HAVE TO ADD ONLY AN APOSTROPHE (‘)PLACES: The villages church EXAMPLE: Spains surfaceTIME EXPRESSIONS: This weeks trip My brothers car (SINGULAR) Mondays meeting My brothers car (PLURAL)3. YOU CAN USE ‘S WITHOUT A NOUN The managers bonus (SINGULAR)AFTER IT. The managers bonus (PLURAL)EXAMPLE: Don’t forget: when the possessor is an object youWHOSE HAT IS IT? IT IS MY DAD’S have to use “OF” to express possession. EXAMPLE: The price of the house
10. EXERCISES1. CORRECT THE SENTENCES WHERE NECESSARY.1. I stayed at the house of my sister. I stayed at my sister’s house.2. The favourite color of Paula is blue. The favourite Paula’s color is blue3. When is the birthday of your mother?. When is your mother’s birthday?4. The house of my parent’s isn’t very big. My parent’s house isn’t very big.5. Are you going to the party of Silvia next week? Are you going to the Silvia’s party?6. They are the eyes of crocodile. They are the crocodile’s eyes.7. It is the nouse of the elephant. It is the elephant’s nouse.8. They are the hats of my parents. They are my parents’ hats.9. For me the morning is the best part of the day. IT IS CORRECT.10. The manager of the hotel is on holiday at the moment. IT IS CORRECT.
11. POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES WHY DO WE USE POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES FOR?WE USE POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES TO SHOW OWNERSHIP. PROPIEDAD POSESION
12. WHAT ARE THE POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES? SUBJECT PRONOUNS POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES I MY YOU YOUR WE OUR THEY THEIR HE HIS SHE HER IT ITS
13. HOW DO YOU HAVE TO USE POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES?EXAMPLES:1. MY BOOK IS RED. (MY REFERS TO THE PRONOUN I)2. YOUR PENCIL CASE IS NEW. (YOUR REFERS TO THE PRONOUN YOU)3. OUR CHILDREN PLAY IN THE PARK. (OUR REFERS TO THE PRONOUN WE)4. THEIR EXAMS ARE REALLY EASY. (THEIR REFERS TO THE PRONOUN THEY)5. HIS BEDROOM IS BEAUTIFUL. ( HIS REFERS TO THE PRONOUN HE)6. HER MOTHER IS VERY TALL. (HER REFERS TO THE PRONOUN SHE)7. ITS NOSE IS VERY BIG. (ITS REFERS TO THE PRONOUN IT)
14. EXERCISES1. COMPLETE THE SENTENCES BY USING POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES. his1. Jim doesn’t enjoy _____ job because it is not interesting. her2. Sally is married. _____ husband works in the hospital. their3. I saw Ann and Ted with _____ children. his4. He lives in a big house with _____ parents. her5. She is going to wash _____ hands. Its6. It is a beautiful tree. _____ leaves are green and red. your7. It’s very cold today. Put on _____ coat when you go out. Our8. We live in Mexico street. _____ house is at the end on the left. their9. I saw Liz and Philip with _____ son, Bill. his10. I know Mr. Watson but I don’t know _____ wife.