2. WHO WERE THE BEATLES?The Beatles were an English rock band formed inLiverpool in 1960, and one of the most commerciallysuccessful and critically acclaimed acts in the history ofpopular music.The members of this musical group were:•John Lennon (rhythm guitar, vocals)•Paul McCartney (bass guitar, vocals)•George Harrison (lead guitar, vocals)•Ringo Starr (drums, vocals)
3. HAVE YOU EVER LISTENED ABEATLES SONG? WHICH ONE?DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS THEMOST POPULAR BEATLES SONGACCORDING TO GUINESS RECORD? YESTERDAY SONG WATCH THE VIDEO
4. BEATLEMANIAWhen the Beatles firstarrived in America onFebruary 7, 1964, thousandsof fans were waiting forthem at New York’s Jhon F.Kennedy InternationalAirport. Limousines tookthem to the Plaza Hotel inManhattan; outside thehotel, thousands morepeople were singing Beatlessongs. The Beatles werestaying on the twelfth floor;teenage girls started to climbthe fire scape to see them.
5. On February 9, when TheBeatles appeared onAmerican television, 73million people werewatching. The Beatles song“All My Loving,” I Saw HerStanding There,” and “I Wantto Hold Your Hand”. Theysang “She loves you” andAmerica loved them, too.Soon Beatles fans weredoing all the things that fansdo: writing letters to theirheroes, buying pictures ofthem, waiting for them,following them… andlistening to their songs - allday avery day
6. By April, The Beatles’ songs were numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the Americanpop charts. Beatlemania was born; in some respects, the concept of being afan was born…
7. 1 OPEN YOUR BOOK (64-65) AND LOOK AT THE PICTURES.ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN PAIRS. 1. Why are the people shouting? Because of THE BEATLES. 2. Do you like The Beatles’ songs? Yes I do / No I don’t 3. Who is your favorite singer or band? ALICIA KEYS My favorite singer is… __________________
8. 2 LOOK AT THE TITLE BEATLEMANIA. ANSWER THEQUESTIONS. 1. Who were THE BEATLES? The Beatles were a Pop group. 2. What does mania mean? It means you like something very much. 3. What was Beatlemania? Beatlemania means passion for The Beatles. 4. What do you think the text is about? The text is about The Beatles.
9. 3 USE THE SIMPLE PHRASES (in your book) TO HELP YOUUNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT THE TEXT.4 READ AND LISTEN TO THE TEXT.5 USE THE GUESSING MEANING STRATEGY TO HELP YOUUNDERSTAND THESE WORDS AND PHRASES.1. Thousands of fans (line 2) A LOT OF FANS1. The twelfth floor (line 8) 12th FLOOR SCALE1. Climb (line 9) BEATLES ADICTION1. Beatlemania (line 23 - 24)
10. 6 READ THE TEXT AGAIN. ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. 1. When did The Beatles first arrive in the USA? On February 7, 1964. 2. What happened at the airport? Thousands of fans were waiting for them at the airport. 3. Were Beatles songs popular at that time? Yes, they were. 4. When did The Beatles appear on American TV? On February 9, 1964. 5. What kinds of things do fans usually do? Write letters, buy pictures of the band, wait for them, follow them, listen to their songs.
11. 7 ANSWER T (true) or F (false).1. New York was the first city The Beatles visited in America. ( T )2. The Beatles’ rooms were near the hotel entrance. ( F )3. Fans listen to their heroes’ songs from time to time. ( F )4. The author thinks that the concept of being a fan was bornwhen Beatlemania started. ( T )
12. 8 CHOOSE THE CORRECT SYNONYMS FOR THE WORDS INGREEN.1. When The Beatles first arrived in America … a ) returned to b ) reached c) discovered2. Limousines took them to the Plaza Hotel … a ) big cars b ) bodyguards c ) taxi cabs 3. Teenage girls started to climb the fire escape … a ) went b ) came c ) began 4. Waiting for them, following them … a ) going after b ) looking after c ) watching
13. 9 TELL YOUR FRIEND ALL YOU CAN REMEMBER ABOUTTHE TEXT.10 WRITE SENTENCES WITH THE FOLLOWING WORDS:1. Beatles:- The Beatles were the most popular musical group in the 60’s.2. Million: - 73 million of people were watching TV when the Beatles appearedon it.3. Teenage:- Teenage girls climbed the fire escape to see The Beatles.4. Thousands:- Thousands of fans were waiting for Th Beatles at New York airport.5. Twelfth:- The Beatles were on the twelfth floor of the Plaza Hotel.6. writing:- Fans were writing letter to The Beatles and buying pictures of them.