JIM AND BOBWERE IN AFRICA.JIM WANTED TOLEARN ABOUTTHE ANIMALS OFAFRICA; BOB WASA EXPERT.
I AM AN EXPERT ON AFRICA “I AM AN EXPERT ON AFRICA,” BOB SAID JIM. “YOU NEED YEARS OF EXPERIENCE TO UNDERSTAND THE ANIMALS OF AFRICA.
FIRST BOB EXPLAINEDABOUT INSECTS ANDMOSQUITOES. THENHE EXPLAINED ABOUTCROCODILES ANDHIPPOPOTAMUSES.
NEXT HE EXPLAINEDABOUT ELEPHANTSAND GIRAFFES.FINALLY, HEEXPLAINED ABOUTLIONS. “ LIONS AREVERY FAST,” HE TOLDJIM. THEY ARE VERYFAST RUNNERS. YOUCAN NEVER ESCAPEFROM A LION BYRUNNING.”
BOB AND JIMWENT INTO THEJUNGLE FOR APRACTICALLESSON.SUDDENLY ANENORMOUS LIONAPPEARED. JIMSTARTED TO RUN.HE RAN ANDRAN.
“STOP!” SHOUTEDBOB. “ STOP!LIONS ARE VERYFAST RUNNERS.YOU CAN NEVERESCAPE FROM ALION BY RUN-AAAaaa-aaagh!”
I am a fast “I AM A FAST runner! But I RUNNER,” SAIDonly run when THE LION, EATINGit’s absolutely necessary. THE EXPERT, BUT I ONLY RUN WHEN IT’S ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. MORAL: LIONS AND HUMANS ARE FAST RUNNERS – WHEN IT’S ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
READ SUSIE’S SHORT VERSION OFTHE STORY. (SUSIE ONLY INCLUDE ESSENTIAL DETAILS).
A SHORT VERSION OF A STORY: BOB, JIM AND THELION BOB AND JIM WERE IN AFRICA. “IF YOU SEE A LION,” SAID BOB, “DON’T RUN BECAUSE LIONS ARE VERY GOOD RUNNERS.” THEY ENTERED THE JUNGLE. SUDDENLY THEY SAW A BIG LION. “DON’T RUN”, SAID BOB. BUT JIM RAN. “DON’T RUN,” SAID BOB. “LIONS ARE VERY FA…aaa-aaah!” MORAL: LIONS AND HUMANS ARE FAST RUNNERS – WHEN IT’S ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
1. WHAT INFORMATION IS INTHE ORIGINAL STORY BUT NOT IN SUSIE’S VERSION?
SAMPLE ANSWERS• JIM WANTED TO LEARN ABOUTANIMALS OF AFRICA.• BOB WAS AN EXPERT ON AFRICA.• BOB EXPLAINED ABOUT INSECTS ANDANIMALS
2. Look at these sentences from the original version.What are the equivalent phrases in Susie’s version? 1. “You can never escape from a lion by running.” Lions are very good runners. 2. Bob and Jim entered the jungle for a practical lesson. They entered the jungle. 3. Suddenly an enormous lion appeared. Suddenly they saw a big lion. 4. Jim started to run. Jim ran.
3. LOOK AT THE PUNCTUATION IN RED IN THE SENTENCES. WHAT CAN YOU LEARN ABOUT THE PUNCTUATION? “ If you see a lion,” said Bob, “Don’t run because lions are very good runners.”When quoting we use quotation marks.We use commasbefore the 2nd quotation mark if the sentence continues. “ Don’t run,”said Bob. But Jim ran. We use a period at the end of a sentence. “ Don’t run,” said Bob.” Lions are very fa…aaa-aaah!” In English, exclamation marks come only at the end of the sentence
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN!4. Look at the pictures of the story of TheGrasshopper and the Ants. Tell the story in yourlanguage. The grasshopper The ants
5.Look at the pictures again and aswer thequestions.1. What did the ants do in the summer? They worked.2. What did the grasshopper do in the summer? He didn’t work. He had a good time.3. What did the ants have in the winter? (2 things) They had food and a house.4. Did the grasshopper have those things? No, he didn’t.5. What did the grasshopper say to the ants? “Help me”6. What did the ants say to the grasshopper? “No, we worked in the summer, you didn’t
6. Write you short version of TheGrasshopper and the Ants. Useyouy andwers from exercise 5, andexplain why the ants didn’t helpthe grasshopper.
7. Read your composition aloud tothe whole class.