2. Usability is how efficiently and effectively users can accomplish what they are trying to do when they visit a Web site.
3. Earlier, customers would pay for a product first and only later take it home to discover that it was in some cases difficult to use.
4. Today, they need to navigate a site and 'find' a product before they can evaluate buying it. In that sense, they start 'using' a product much before it is bought
5. If a website is difficult to use, people leave. Simple.
6. Therein lies the potential of a career in Usability Design
7. It is a cool additional skill to have for Product Mangers, Senior web designers and Business Heads.
8. It made it to the list of ‘2009 Best Careers’ of US News
9. This category welcomes people from other fields.. <ul><li>Even if you are NOT a web designer (graphics), but you like designing user interfaces. </li></ul><ul><li>Even if you are from Human related fields like psychology, human-computer interaction, computer science, technical communication cognitive psychology, anthropology, or business. </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul><ul><li>Or you have practical experience in customer service, quality assurance, marketing, and product development. </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul>
10. Sample of an actual job description... <ul><li> 1. Product interface conception and design prototyping 2. Usability analysis and improving UI of current products 3. Replacing page-centeric design with highly interactive interfaces 4. Use of mashups, RSS, web services (REST & SOAP) and Programmable Web 5. Designing interfaces for products that need to address special constituency of users (senior citizens, kids, Gen Y, etc.) </li></ul>
11. Salaries <ul><li>4-5 lacs per annum for fresh post-graduates from design schools. </li></ul><ul><li>May rise to 7 lacs per annum after 3 years. </li></ul>
12. Only thing required is a passion for making websites and web apps fit human needs You don’t need to have any programming experience. It will help if you have some knowledge of the limitations of modern front-end technologies and approaches.
13. If you have this passion, then our programs can help you to get introduced to usability methods and techniques.
14. Some aspects we will cover in our program <ul><li>SWOT Analysis : Choice of usability methods, Task Analysis </li></ul><ul><li>Information Architecture (card sorting - open, close) </li></ul><ul><li>Create Personas ; Build scenarios and write use cases. </li></ul><ul><li>Prototyping (Different ways of prototyping - low fidelity and high fidelity. Tools for prototyping) </li></ul><ul><li>Cognitive Walk Through; Visual design; Usability testing </li></ul><ul><li>How to sell a Usability Initiative internally. </li></ul>
15. Learning Catalyst : ‘For those who like to learn but don’t like to be taught’ We offer learning programs in Web Marketing and Web Technology. (Instructor-led and Online) www.learningcatalyst.in Mumbai office - 91 22 26135780 [email_address]