1. learning collection Strategic and Service Design for Sustainability subject Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability learning resource The Small, Local, Open, Connected Scenario contributors: Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy LeNS, the Learning Network on Sustainability: Asian-European multi-polar network for curricula development on Design for Sustainability focused on product service system innovation. Funded by the Asia-Link Programme, EuroAid, European Commission. Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy
2. design for social innovation . c atalysing diffuse creativity for sustainable changes Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy
3. 危机 crisis
4. 80% 危 danger 机 chance
5. 80% exit strategy 1 fixing the past exit strategy 2 building the future
6. to build a sustainable future means to use at best the Planet resources 80%
7. to build a sustainable future means to use at best the Planet resources 80% in a small, densely populated, highly connected planet, s ocial resources are the most abundant ones.
8. social innovation Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy
9. good news .
10. GUANGZHOU 1 ...
12. There is always a small place...
13. … to grow some plants...
16. Mr. Huang...
17. … organises a garden on the building roof...
19. Children are enjoying...
22. … and tenants are helping.
24. Families can book the roof garden...
26. … organise parties...
28. … and meet with neighbours…
30. GUANGZHOU 2 ...
31. Every week...
32. … we order organic food...
33. … and the local farm delivers it...
35. Sometimes on the weekend...
36. … we visit the farm...
39. … to see the vegetables growing.
41. We give a hand to the farmers...
43. … eat with them...
44. … and bring back our harvest.
45. EMUDE Emerging User Demands for Sustainable Solutions CCSL Creative Communities for Sustainable Lifestyle DESIS Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability
46. creative communities people inventing new ways of living and producing service and business ideas for new forms of collaborative organizations
47. good ideas move worldwide
48. farmers markets Amhedabad Milano
49. urban vegetables gardens Milano San Paulo
50. purchasing groups Milano Taipei
51. France China community-based agriculture
52. applications . Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy
53. Example Urban-rural areas development (in Italy, Brazil, China)
54. Parco Agricolo Sud Milano Urban agriculture in the South Milano Park Capivari Monos (Brazil) Urban-rural area in APA, San Paulo City Xianqiao Village (China) A sustainable community project in rural area in Shanghais City
55. rural-urban area / Milano
56. APA Capivari-Monos São Paulo downtown Municipality of São Paulo Location São Paulo (Brazil) rural-urban area / Sao Paulo
57. Xianqiao Village rural-urban area / Shanghais
58. local resources physical and social, real and potential
72. Traditional handicraft and handmade food Xianqiao Village (China)
73. Community based tourism-Qixiaodui farmhouse Xianqiao Village (China)
74. strategy to turn urban proximity from disadvantage to an advantage local development driven by a set of connected, self standing projects
75. Xianqiao Village (China) organic food production home restaurant crafts revitalization twin schools project
76. Xianqiao Village (China) Xianqiao Village (China) organic food production
77. Xianqiao Village (China) home restaurant
78. Xianqiao Village (China) crafts revitalization
79. Xianqiao Village (China) twin schools project
80. 7 connected, self standing projects Parco Sud Milano 7 hubs for social innovation digital platform and common branding
81. Collaborative services <ul><li>Urban Agriculture </li></ul>Visitors’ Centre |Park Point Horticulture Rural Cultural Centre Farmers’ Market Common Brand Food Subscription The Green Purchasing 7 social innovation hubs + a common brand
82. Farmers’ Market Parco Sud Milano
83. Green Purchasing Parco Sud Milano
84. Food Subscription Parco Sud Milano
85. Visitors’ Centre | Park Point Parco Sud Milano
86. Rural Cultural Centre Parco Sud Milano
87. Horticulture Parco Sud Milano
88. Urban Agriculture Parco Sud Milano
89. A network and a brand Parco Sud Milano
90. can the food-related community- based scenario be extended from farming to other sectors? 80%
91. can the food-related community- based scenario be extended from farming to other sectors? 80% yes
92. scenario . Ezio Manzini Politecnico di Milano / INDACO dept. / DIS / Faculty of Design / Italy
93. on-going trends .
94. footprint reduction on-going trends
95. sustainable use of local resources; localized systems; low transport intensity solutions footprint reduction on-going trends
96. footprint reduction social networks on-going trends
97. now forms of community; open sources; p2p footprint reduction social networks on-going trends
98. footprint reduction social networks on-going trends
99. footprint reduction social networks diffuse creativity on-going trends