1. NACADA Executive Office Social Media Training Laura Pasquini & Brad Popiolek February 2011
2. Welcome to the #SM BootcampLaura & Brad will be your #SM Coachestoday. Let’s have some fun!
3. NACADA EO AgendaOverview•NACADA EO Wiki http://nacadaeo.pbworks.com/•Social Media 101 - Learning the Basics•Explore & Play: Hands on Fun•Think Tank: Brainstorm•Developing Strategies for NACADA EO
4. No Need to Fear.
5. We Know #SM Can Be:
6. Hopes, Dreams & Fears of #SM•What do you know?•What do you want to learn?•How can we get you there?•Think–Pair–Share with your neighbor•Please share here: http://goo.gl/4Kuuq
7. Question Why should NACADA engage & use Social Media?
8. The Personal Web "...a growing set of free and simple tools and applications... a personal web — that explicitly supports one’s social, professional, learning and other activities via highly personalized windows to the networked world. Online material can be saved, tagged, categorized, and repurposed without difficulty and without any special knowledge of how web pages are put together...creating and distributing content, to organizing one’s personal and professional time, to developing a library of resources that constantly refresh and update themselves... The 2009 Horizon Report http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2009
10. One-Way Communication
11. 2-Way Communication
12. Web 2.0Web 2.0• online• community• share• collaborate• web-based• interaction• user-centered• design• social
13. Engaging the NACADA Community
14. New Media Ecology Realities• Media & gadgets are everywhere• Internet = center of the revolution• Easy to communicate• Anywhere & anytime• Multitasking is the norm• More change is to come • Adopted from L. Raine (2007) • http://www.pewinternet.org/
15. Principles of ConnectivismGeorge Siemens (http://www.connectivism.ca/):•Being connected•Learning from others •Connecting information•Various online interaction•Diverse opinions & ideas•Capacity to know more•Nurturing connections•On-going learning•Making choices & decisions
16. Our Advising 2.0 Toolbox
17. Social Network - Facebook -You choose your friends -Network -A very social space - family, friends, etc. -You choose “Likes” -Users share content -Groups & messages -Fan Pages -Updates on wall -Newsfeed
18. Social Network - Facebook
19. Social Network - Facebook (Demo)
20. Social Network - Facebook
21. Social Networks – FacebookExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
22. Social Network - LinkedIn Based on professional affiliations/employment Group membership is related to professional life/education Public search, but some info kept private Create "connections"
23. Social Network - LinkedIn
24. LinkedIn• Professional networking• Proﬁle = dynamic resume• “Contacts”• Recommendations• Integration = Twitter, Facebook, blog, SlideShare, websites, etc.
36. Social Networks – TwitterExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
37. Twitter: Ideas for NACADA...• Engagement with members• Conference backchannel• Advertising/Marketing
38. Social Spaces - Blogs
39. Blogs• Easy to build & maintain via 3rd party sites• Integration of other tools – like, retweet, comment, etc.• Short posts – bullets with links• Dynamic• How often to post? What type of content?Look back at #nacada10 blogger
40. Blogs (Demo)
41. Blogs: Ideas for NACADA...Provides 1 stop shop for info…• Internally – EO – Leadership• Conferences – Annual & Regional• Other events – institutes, seminars, consultations, etc.
42. Social Spaces – BlogsExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
43. Social Spaces - Wikis & Shared Docs
44. Social Spaces - Wikis & Shared Docs
45. Get Together Right Now• Document collaboration• Web-based applications• Real Time• Multiple Users• Shared Goals & Tasks• Track History, Edits & Updates
46. Social Spaces - Google Docs
47. Social Spaces - Google Docs (types) • Documents (like Word Docs) • Spreadsheets • Surveys • Presentation (like PPT) • Drawings & Diagrams • PDF Files • Videos • Images
48. Social Spaces - Wikis
49. Social Spaces - Wiki Uses • Large group collaboration • Project management • Document repository • Online Group Meeting Space - minutes, agendas & more • Brainstorming • Educational resources • Website drafting • Publishing
50. Social Spaces - Wikis (Demo)
51. Social Spaces – Collaborative DocsExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
52. Social Spaces – Photos & Videos
53. How to Share...• Post. Embed. Stream.• Organize. Tag. Group.• Make notable notes.• Include online resources & web links!• Post comments - give & get• Join a group or community.• Private vs. Public images• Thumbs up OR Add to Favorites• Connect/Link images to a blog, website, network, etc.
54. Photo Sharing
55. Video Sharingyoutube.com youtube.com/eduvimeo.com
57. NACADA on Flickr (Demo)
58. Social Spaces – Photo & VideosExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
59. Social Spaces – Bookmarking
60. Social Spaces – Bookmarking • Save references & resources • Tags + search = SOCIAL • Build your bookmarking network • Share information • Recommend online reading • Categorize your content • Easy to access, locate & ﬁnd • M is for Metadata • Stored “in the cloud”
61. Social Spaces – Bookmarks
62. Social Spaces – Bookmarking (Demo)
63. Social Spaces – BookmarkingExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
64. Social Spaces – RSS
65. Social Spaces – RSS • Family of web links • Updated content: blogs, news, headlines, podcasts • “Channel” or “feed” • Current information • Filtered search • Choice & preferences
66. Social Spaces – RSS (Demo)
67. Social Spaces – BookmarkingExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
68. Social Spaces - Presentations
69. SlideShare• Open source technology• Share PowerPoints, PDFs, Word docs, & others• Integrate with blog, tweet, LinkedIn, etc.• Provides organization
70. Social Spaces – SlideShare (Demo)
71. Social Spaces – SlideShareExplore.Try It Out.Ponder.How can NACADA utilizethis online resource?
72. Slideshare: Ideas for NACADA...• Alternative for members seeking to share conference presentations• Internally – EO & leadership
73. Getting Started with Web 2.0
74. What DoesYour Advisor LearningNetwork Look Like?[Tell us about it.]
76. Be a Participant1. Social media = be social2. Respond to others3. Give thanks for sharing4. Pay it forward = the learning5. Start the conversation6. NACADA branding & promotion7. Keep it up: make time
77. Q & A (Final)
78. Final Thoughts...• NO Magic Bullet• Failure leads to success• (mostly) FREE!• Participation is key• Collaborate & connect• Share knowledge
79. Thanks NACADA EO!!Keep it up!You CAN do it!Continue to be social with us:Bradhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/bradpopiolekLaurahttp://about.me/laurapasquini