1. A fresh new look into Information GatheringChristian MartorellaIV OWASP MEETING SPAIN
2. Who am i ?Christian Martorella Manager Auditoria S21sec CISSP, CISA, CISM, OPST, OPSA OWASP WebSlayer Project Leader OISSG, Board of Directors FIST Conference, Presidente Edge-Security.com
3. Information Gathering “Denotes the collection of information before the attack. The idea is to collect as much information as possible about the target which may be valuable later.”
4. OSINT:Open Source INTelligence “Is an information processing discipline that involves ﬁnding, selecting, and acquiring information from publicly available sources and analyzing it to produce actionable intelligence.”
5. Penetration test anatomy Information Gathering Discovery / Fingerprinting Vulnerability analysis Exploitation Reporting
6. Types of I.G Passive Active
7. I.G - Types of informationDomain, subdomain/host names dev.target.comUser names jdoeEmail Accounts email@example.comPerson names John Doe
8. I.G what for? Infraestructure: Information for discovering new targets, to get a description of the hosts (NS,MX, AS,etc), shared resources People and organizations: For performing brute force attacks on available services, Spear phishing, social engineering, investigations, analysis, background checks, information leaks
9. How can we obtain this kindof info?
10. Obtaining host and Domains info -Classic Zone Transfer (active) Whois (passive) Reverse Lookup (active) BruteForce (active++) Mail headers (active) smtp (active++)
11. Zone-Transfer - DIG request: dig @srv.weak.dns weak.dns -t AXFR DNS Tester server
12. DNS bruteforce Domain: target.com host afrodita.target.com DNS Tester afrodita.target.com has 192.168.1.1 serverDictionary Discoverd hosts: afrodita ... afrodita hermes x .. neo matrix x neo ...
13. Mail Headers
14. Obtaining user info - Classic Search engines (passive) Web pages (active)
15. New sources for I.G ...
16. Obtaining host and Domains info Search Engines (passive) Public PGP key servers (passive) serversniff.net and others (passive)
17. Obtaining host and Domains -Search engines Passive subdomain
18. Obtaining host and Domains info The PGP public key servers are only intended to help the user in exchanging public keys http://keyserver.veridis.com/ http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup? search=domain
19. Obtaining host and Domains info subdomains
20. Obtaining host and DomainsSubdomainer Demo subDomainer
21. Obtaining host and DomainsSubdomainerOnce we have some host names, we can improve ourdictionary using Google sets, and then try a brute forceattack on the dns.
22. Obtaining host and DomainsSubdomainer
23. WikiScannerCompany IP rangesAnonymous Wikipedia edits, from interestingorganizationshttp://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/
24. WikiScanner - IP ranges
25. WikiScanner - Wikipedia edits
26. Obtaining user info - New sources PgP key servers (passive) Social Networks (passive) Metadata (passive)
27. Obtaining user info - New sources Social networksLinkedIn is an online network of more than 15 millionexperienced professionals from around the world,representing 150 industries.
28. Obtaining user info -New sources Current Job Pasts Jobs Education Job description Etc...
34. Obtaining more data - New sourcesMetadata: is data about data.Is used to facilitate the understanding, use andmanagement of data.
35. Obtaining more data - New sources - MetadataProvides basic information such as the author of awork, the date of creation, links to any relatedworks, etc.
36. Metadata - Dublin Core (schema)Content & about the Intellectual Property Electronic or Physical Resource manifestation Title Author or Creator Date Subject Publisher Type Description Contributor Format Language Rights Identiﬁer Relation Coverage
52. Metagooﬁl & Linkedin results Now we have a lot of information, what can i do? • User proﬁling • Spear Phishing / Social Engineering • Client side attacks
53. Using resultsUser proﬁling• Dictionary creation John Doe john.doe jdoe j.doe johndoe johnd ATTACK! john.d jd doe john
54. Metadata - The Revisionist Tool developed by Michal Zalewski, this tool will extract comments and “Track changes” from Word documents.http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/4/9/349c2166-4d53-43f6-b1fd-970090e23216/PARTNER/MSFreeShop.doc
55. Target information: Email account Google Finance, Reuters pipl.com Usercheck.com
56. Google Finance & Reuters
57. Searching for a target
59. Using resultsPassword proﬁlingDictionary creation: words from the different user sites magic serra angel necropotence Shivan dragon Brute force elf ATTACK brainstorm ... ...
60. There are more ways to getinfo
61. Facebook Phone in sick and treat himself to a day in bed.Kyle Doyles Facebook proﬁle makes it quiteobvious he was not off work for a valid medicalreason
62. All together - Maltego Maltego is “the only” professional Information Gathering tool. “Information is power Information is Maltego”
65. ConclusionsClean your ﬁles before distributionWeb applications should clean ﬁles on upload (if it’s notneeded)Web applications should try to represent theinformation in a non parseable way :/Be careful what you post/send