LTC, Jack R. Widmeyer Transportation Research Conference, Going to San Bernardino A Symposium on Intermodal Transit Stations and Transit-Oriented Design, 11/06/2009, Jeff Mayer
Jeff Mayer Chair, Urban Land InstituteOrange County / Inland Empire
• Mission: to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
• “All ULI cares about is density” – No• ULI @ quality development in a financially viable, responsible & sustainable manner.
ULI• bringing leaders together• fostering collaboration• exploring land use and development issues • advancing policies and practices sharing knowledge • creating a global network with local impact
• Best Practices• Lessons Learned• Objectivity• Not lobbying org. – Educational, Advocacy• “go to” organization for unbiased, up-to-the- minute land use expertise.
Priorities• Infrastructure• Sustainable Communities• Housing• Capital Markets• Placemaking / Public Realm• Development at the Edge• Places of Commerce
InfrastructureStatewide TOD Marketplace via ULI Community Action Grant - ULI branded program studying development along hi speed rail corridor- looking for cities to participate. TAP’s in each region
• TOD Marketplace – Riverside, Corona, Ontario, Placentia. Recommendations from these four TAPs will be presented at the ULI OrangeCounty/Inland Empire TOD Marketplaceon January 19, 2010, at theOntario Convention Center, from 7:30- 11:30 am.
OC/IE Sustainable Communities Council• Our Mission: proactively identify and promote best practices in sustainable development in OC – IE through proactive education, awareness, collaboration, outreach and community/stakeholder involvement.
Sustainable Communities• No. & So. CA focus groups conducted 2007 “California 2020: A Path to Implementation” -• 2008- paper and blog: “Responsible Land Use: A Path to a Sustainable California by 2020” published by California 2020 www.ca2020.org
• 2007-2009 ULI SF members participated in ClimatePlan coalition/strategic plan www.climateplanca.org• August 2008 ULI - 5 CA District Councils sent comments on Draft Climate Change Scoping Plan letter to Mary Nichols @ CA Air Resources Board
• ULI members, who chair Sustainabllity Committees for District Councils in CA met last night in SF.• How ULI can share expertise with mayors to help them plan for meeting AB32 targets & implementing SB375.SCAG’s SB375 Working Group meetings –>sustainable communities strategy for MPOto implement SB375.
Housing• Attacking methods to deliver housing at affordable price close to where people work
Urban Marketplace June 8, 2010Co-hosts:• OC League of Cities• Redevelopment Agencies• COG’s• City Managers Assn.• Planning Directors Assn.Focus: “Next Generation of Urban Development” How are we going to do it right? What’s it going to look like? Who are the players? Are the cities prepared?
Capital Markets• Residential Mortgage delinquencies have a long way to go• Commercial mortgage debt is beginning to crush the industry. $1.4T of mortgage dbt maturing with no place to goBanks are just beginning to failRetailers and commercial feel full impact in2010: 20% vacancy rates
Capital Markets• State taking redev. $- hurts all markets;• Cost increases in retirement funds• Next summer, assessor: bottom year for assessed value -> property taxes down -> (city to feel full impact in 2010, 2011)