The topic for this study will be on psychosexual development of sexual scripts and sexual self-esteem among American youth.
This study needs to be conducted because youth’s behaviors and perceptions are susceptible to learning myths and inaccuracies about sexuality based on sexually explicit content depicted in pornography.
1. Improve psychosexual development among youth
2. Increase access to accurate sexual health information
3. Understand the narratives and sexual scripts of pornographic messages
4. Explore pornographic messages through critical evaluation of thematic content from participants
5. Demonstrate an understanding of how responsible and consensual sex is represented in real-life circumstances
6. Promoting healthy sexual scripts and sexual self-esteem
Purpose: The purpose of this exploratory study will be to understand how sexual scripts/narratives influence sexual self-esteem, and to determine whether implementing a porn literacy program is effective in encouraging sexual responsibility and fostering sexual wellbeing among American youth.
1. Provide accurate information about pornography
2. Reframe sexually explicit messages depicted in pornography
3. Clarify and dispel myths learned through pornography
4. Build skills to discern between fantasy and reality, coercion and consent, and risk and responsibility