Gianni Versace was born to an average family background with a mother who was a dressmaker His first design works were presented in his mother’s shop 1972: moves to Milan to begin freelance designing for some Italian labels (25 years old) 1978: Versace gets his big break by launching his first major women’s line First work presented at Palazzo della Permanente Art Museum 1978: Opens first boutique in Milan’s Via dellaSpiga along with first men’s line in Milan
Gianni Versace employed Richard Avedon to photograph some of his first collections Avedon became one of the most highly respectable photographers Most of Gianni’s early designs consisted of a metal-meshed impression which became instantly popular Glossy leather, tights, and the mini skirt were Gianni’s new way of bringing certain styles back
Gianni’s Fall/ Winter collection of 1992 was considered the “Bondage” collection for it consisted greatly of buckles, black leather, jewels, stiletto boots, and of course extravagant gold and brightly colored prints of royalty Reflecting his earlier years as a child with his mother, Francesca, this collection related to his past His mother used a considerable amount of jewels on her designs which Gianni carried on with him into his later designs (the Bondage collection)
Began as a breakaway line of the Versace Couture Uomo collection A line strictly for men Was a joint venture with ErmenegildoZegna The V2 collection was to present the Versace’s Couture line in a more classical and simpler fashion First appeared in U.S. in 1990 The men’s suits are either plain, plaid, or stripped Most commonly presented in the classic black, blue, white, and beige
The collection lines: Istante, Versus, Versace Jeans Couture, Versace Sport, Versatile, Versace Classic V2, Young Versace, Home Signature Gianni planed to launch his private business title within just months of his unexpected death. (despite his death, Santo and Donatella still motivated to launch his self titled company) “Versace” was officially launched in 1998 Gianni, Santo, and Donatella share business: Gianni = 45% Santo = 35% Donatella = 20% Donatella originally worked with Gianni in his business as a Public Relations director until he realized how much of an important idol she became for the company. An “inspiring muse” for Gianni
Gianni cared deeply for his family. His niece and nephew, from his sister Donatella, were the greatest gifts in his life.Than there was his long time partner all the way up until his death, Antonio D’Amico to whom he cared for eternally.
A couple of months after Gianni’s death Santo was appointed chief executive of the Versace business, where he stayed until Donatella took over where she still remains today. In 1976, Santo followed Gianni to Milan to help assist him in his rising career. Santo controlled the legal side of the business with Gianni by running the sales, distribution, production, and finance of the rising company.
The youngest of four children. Her daughter, Allegra, is to inhereit the main title of Gianni’s hard work and creations. Gianni saw his sister as an inspiring muse for his collections and greatly relied on her opinion. Was in charge of advertising and promotions. Donatella is currently the chief designer.
Just a few of my favorite runways
1. Gianni Versace<br />By: Krystial Cebe<br />
2. Time Line:<br />1946: Date of Birth = December 2 in Reggio Calabria, Italy (small underprivileged Italian town)<br />1972: Moves to Milan- brother Santo soon follows to help<br />1970s: By mid 70s Gianni gets his big break- Genny and Callaghan hire Gianni to design their leather and suede collections<br />1978: Gianni presents his first Versace signature collection at Palazzo della Permanente Art Museum in Milan<br />1978: Opens first boutique in Milan at Via dellaSpiga<br />1982: Meets long time partner Antonio D’Amico<br />1985: Introduction of InstanteVesa = “conservative chic”<br />1989: Introduction of Atelier Versace = custom made fashions<br />1989: Introduction of Versus Line - Donatella’s venue = younger trendy audience<br />1991: Introduction of Versatile Line = specialized for full figured women <br />1991: Introduction of Versace Jeans Couture = casual based on jeans<br />1993: Introduction of Home Signature = tableware, bath & bed linens, lamps, etc. <br />1997: Introduction of Versace Makeup<br />1997: Assassination of Gianni Versace by Andrew Cunanan<br />Boring, I know, but a little needed information<br />
3. A Beginning:<br />December 2, 1946<br />Reggio di Calabria, Italy<br />Originally an architect student<br />Siren style = beginning trademark<br />Palazzo della Permanente Art Museum<br />Seductively beautiful or charming women<br />Versace Boutique at Milan’s Via dellaSpiga<br />
4. Early Works of the 80s:<br />A young, sexy, and bit aggressive women<br />“Rock&Roll”<br />Ultra-sexy<br />High-slit<br />Skin tight<br />
5. Fall/Winter 1992 – “Bondage”:<br />
6. Spring/ Summer Collection – Versace Classic V2:<br />
7. Business Aspect:<br />Donatella = 20%<br />Donatella: “muse and critic”<br />Gianni = 45%<br />Santo = 35%<br />Santo: Chief Executive<br />Gianni: Fashion Designer<br />Donatella: Public Relations<br />
8. Gianni’s Values:<br />“Contrasts are the keys to my creations.” – Gianni<br />Antonio D’Amico and Gianni Versace from a home album<br />Versace Family:<br />Santo <br />Gianni <br />Donatella Antonio<br />Allegra<br />
9. Santo Versace:<br />Santo and Cristiana<br />Santo and Donatella Versace<br />
15. Bibliography:<br />http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-18754583/versace-launches-v2-women.html<br />http://www.biography.com/articles/Gianni-Versace-9517836<br />http://www.luxtex.net/gianni_versace.html<br />http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/23/Gianni-Versace-SpA.html<br />http://www.studio-international.co.uk/reports/versace.asp<br />http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/brands/v2-versace-classic/<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJ_bFyIxSI&feature=related<br />All photos were used based off connections through Google Images<br />