Phishing scams in banking pptPresentation Transcript
• Pronounced “fishing”
• The word has its Origin from two words “Password
Harvesting” or fishing for Passwords
• Phishing is an online form of pretexting, a kind of
deception in which an attacker pretends to be
someone else in order to obtain sensitive
information from the victim.
• Also known as "brand spoofing“.
• Phishers are phishing artists.
• Phishing is a way of fraudulently acquiring sensitive
information using social engineering and technical
• It tries to trick users with official-looking messages
− Credit card
− Bank account
• Some phishing e-mails also
contain malicious or unwanted
software that can track your
activities or slow your computer
1. Unsolicited requests for sensitive information
2. Content appears genuine
3. Disguised hyperlinks and sender address
4. Email consists of a clickable
5. Generic Greetings
6. Use various ruses to entice
recipients to click
What to do if you Receive a
Suspected Phishing Scam
≠ DO NOT click on any links in the scam email.
≠ DO NOT supply any personal information of
any kind as a result of the email
≠ DO NOT reply to the email or attempt to
contact the senders in any way.
≠ DO NOT supply any information on the bogus
website that may appear in your browser if
you have clicked a link in the email.
≠ DO NOT open any
attachments that arrive with the
≠ REPORT the phishing scam.
≠ DELETE the email from your
computer as soon as possible.
Recognise the scam
Report the scam
Stop the scam