4. Senior Linux and Open Source Consultant @inuits.be
5. „ Infrastructure Architect“
6. Building Clouds since 2004
7. Surviving the 10 th floor test
8. Co-Author Virtualization with Xen
9. Guest Editor at Virtualization.com
10. But mostly, a DevOp </li></ul>
11. Alternative Titles <ul><li>Grumpy old Sysadmin
12. Devops, Devops, Devops
13. Surviving the 10 th floor test
14. Agile Administration
15. Devministration, your new Job Title </li></ul>
16. Devop, definition <ul><li>30 something
17. Senior Infrastructure guy
18. Development background
19. Open Source Expcerience
20. Mostly European (.be / .uk)
21. Likes Belgian Beer
22. Likes Sushi </li></ul>
23. The community of developers whose work you see on the Web, who probably don’t know what ADO or UML or JPA even stand for, deploy better systems at less cost in less time at lower risk than we see in the Enterprise. This is true even when you factor in the greater flexibility and velocity of startups. Tim Bray , on his blog January 2010
24. The Old Days <ul><li>“Put this Code Live, here's a tarball” NOW!
25. What dependencies ?
26. No machines available ?
27. What database ?
28. Security ?
29. High Availability ?
30. Scalability ?
31. My computer can't install this ? </li></ul>
32. Devs vs Ops
33. 10 days into operation <ul><li>What High Load ? What Memory usage ?
34. Are these Logs ? Or this is actualy customer data ?
35. How many users are there , should they launch 100 queries each ?? Oh we're having 10K users
36. Why is debugging enabled ?
37. Who wrote this ? </li></ul>
38. 11 days into operations
39. We can solve this ! <ul><li>Some people think the Ops work starts on deployment </li><ul><li>Ops = both system, app as platform ! </li></ul><li>It starts much earlier
40. Get Devs and Ops to talk asap </li></ul>
41. Talk about Non functional Reqs <ul><li>Security
43. High Availability
45. Configuration Mgmt
46. Monitoring </li></ul>
47. During Development <ul><li>Version Control
48. Automated Build
49. Integrated Bugtracking
50. Continous integration
51. Integrated desting
52. Automated deployment on test platforms </li></ul>
53. Devministration ? <ul><li>For Both Devs and Ops
54. Yes we write code also </li><ul><li>Shell, perl, ruby, python, puppet </li></ul><li>Everyone is a developer these days </li><ul><li>Automate your infrastructure ! </li></ul><li>So those rules apply for Ops Too ! </li></ul>
55. Going Live
56. Deploying <ul><li>Automated Deployments
57. If my computer can't install it , the installer is borken
59. Think: </li><ul><li>Kickstart, FAI, Preseeding, SystemImager Suite </li></ul></ul>